Landlord Right of Entry in Shared House

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently living in a shared house with 2 of the rooms empty. My Landlord popped round unexpected for a viewing of the two rooms and told me that when rooms are empty she does not need to give notice. Is this the case? I can't find anything that suggests this for shared housing, only laws that work on the assumption that they cannot enter the accomodation. Does that just mean individual rooms?

hi landlords have to give 24hrs notice for visits, it should state thi on your tenancy agreement. scousemonk

Is this still the case when we're on seperate room contracts and two of the rooms are empty?

Kaelic,

As this is a shared house, regardless of the emptiness of the other two rooms, your own private accommodation is your own room. You are not renting the whole house, as a result your tenancy agreement should show that you will share other facilities in the house with other people. Other people were not explicitly defined, could be the landlord or anyone.

However, it is logical that the landlord must give notice to access your private room in the house because that is your private accommodation. The other part of the main accommodation is not for your sole use, being shared with others. In fact, you have no legal right to access the other two empty rooms in the house.

The landlord, out of courtesy, may choose to inform you that he/she will be bringing potential tenants to view the other two rooms from time to time. If the landlord did not inform you about bringing potential tenants to view the other two accommodation, I do not think you can compel him/her legally. I may be wrong but let others give their opinion.

I would disagree with certain things that have been said here;

- 24 hours for access - It is correct that the majorioty of tenancy agreements contain this, however its not good enough simply to give 24hrs notice and then turn up, you must still get the tenants permission, and if they dont give it, tough, you cant go in.

- However, where you have a shared house i.e. where you rent on a bedroom by bedroom basis and share communal areas, then, while the 24hr rule and right to refuse applies to your individual bedroom, it does not apply to communal areas and vacant rooms.

So in this instance, while 24 hours notice would have been polite, it wasnt necessary.