Where do i start?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Need to sort out my debts badly and that of partner who has recently moved in with me.

Sorry if this comes across as waffle but am trying to read as much info as possible and try and find my footing here.

Anyway i propbably have around 12k of unsecured debt although havent actually looked at figures recently as have been burying head in sand so could possible be higher. Did start the process with payplan but then said partner moved in and we decide to hold off and clump all debts together as thought that may be better??

Anyway partner really is worse off than me has been running from debt and not paying anything so completely unsure of how much he owes and to whom? Can we do a credit report in him and get everything that way? How would we get account numbers and things?

Have been reading about PPI and CCA and weather some loans/credit amounts are enforceable. This is slightly confusing for me as i did borrow money from these companies so should be paying it back. However could someone explain this too me. Also again with PPI how does this work? I took a secured loan out in 2005/6 i think and paid alot of unsecured debt off with that. I am sure that some of these had PPI insurance attached to them. Can you reclaim this is you have settled the debt? Also what about if a debt that has been settled in unenforceable? Can you chase these?

Is it best to start off obtaining both our credit files and taking from there over a period of the 6 years? from there i take it we would know what we owe, to whom and for how much?

Sorry this seems a long post and is all over the place. If you have managed to get this far, well done you!.

Hopefully someone can help me or at leats point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Leah

P.S Reason i really want to get this sorted in i am currently a week over due and what with my money pratically halving thanks to maternity leave money is top of our agenda so every penny counts in this house hold! This is #5 between us!!

Thanks again

Hi there. Firstly, I hope you haven't used your surname as part of your username. DCA's do visit here and they could identify you from you post and username. If you have, click on the red triangle and ask the site team to change your username.

First step would be to get your credit report. Three ways of getting this.

1) Send off the statutory £2 to each of the CRA's Call Credit, Equifax and Experian. The addresses are here somewhere or on their website as are the forms you need to complete.

2) Register for the 30 day free trial at Equifax and Experian

3) Sign up to credit report, credit file, credit score - checkmyfile and you can get all three reports in one place.

Once you receive your credit reports, then you will have a list of all your creditors, past and present, including balances owed, current status etc.

Once you have the list of creditors, you can do you Subject Access Request. This will give you loads of info about your accounts including the account numbers.

Be aware though as soon as you register with the CRA's your new address will more than likely be passed to your creditors. If they don't have your phone numbers, I suggest you use a PAYG mobile number when registering. That way, if you start getting calls, you know who gave them your number and you can bin the sim.

Last piece of advice. NEVER speak to any of your creditors on the phone, always communicate in writing.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

Hi Leah

Credit reports from the big three will tell you all but will also put a big flashing light up to any lenders/DCAs/tracers who might be looking for either of you. And they will come to you talking crap so you must gather together as much info as you can beforehand.

Then bear in mind: NEVER speak to lenders/DCAs on the phone; CCA request every debt that is associated with you as and when they come up; be ready to fight back!....it feels good BTW! ;)

Thanks for replies, have just requested a copy of partners credit report!! should make interesting reading - even he is worried lol.

No user name is not my own name, so hopefully shall get no come backs if companies check out this thread.

Will keep you updated as i progress and hopefully this will not be too much of a long drawn out battle.

Just one more thing - should we enter jointly into a DMP with payplan or CCCS or should i wait untill i have all infomation from outstanding creditors? Also what should i do about phone calls and token payments etc? is there something i should be telling them like i am looking into to enforceability of debt? Have just been saying that i am out at present :-|

Thanks Again!

Leah

Hi Leah

Look at this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2184956.html where I have given someone advice before (I'm being lazy and not retyping it)

The template letters are here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)