Who can DVLA pass your details to?

hightail
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I own an ancient Subaru Justy, bought used a few years ago from a private individual. It has been sat on my drive properly sorned for the past year and was re-sorned on the last day of May (scrappage allowance in mind for family member).

Today I have received a letter from my nearest Subaru dealer, sent to me by name and correctly addressed inviting me for a test drive. I have never had any dealings with Subaru. I've never been contacted by them before. The only people who know I own this car are the DVLA.

How did Subaru get my details? Do the DVLA sell marketing lists?

DVLA are allowed to release keeper information to anybody who can show reasonable cause - I would not see a marketing exercise a reasonable cause.

In any case, anybody requesting keeper information must do so, manually or electronically, on Form V888 - as RK you are entitled to a copy of this free of charge.

I do still wonder if this is via DVLA, it seems a long shot to me that your local dealer is driving around obtaining registration numbers of seemingly old and unused Subarus and then requesting RK information from DVLA.

I'm not suggesting the dealer is driving around collecting RK numbers, my 'local' dealer is over 25 miles away. I was asking if the DVLA supplies details of cars/owners by make to companies for targeted marketing.

My Subaru was bought for very little - paid cash, has never been professionally serviced whilst owned by me, hasn't been MOT'd for 2+ years. It doesn't exist to anyone but me and the DVLA.

Two weeks after I renew the SORN Subaru somehow know that I have a car eligible for scrappage allowance and write to me. I agree that it may be coincidental but it seems pretty weird to me.

I'm not suggesting the dealer is driving around collecting RK numbers, my 'local' dealer is over 25 miles away. I was asking if the DVLA supplies details of cars/owners by make to companies for targeted marketing.

My Subaru was bought for very little - paid cash, has never been professionally serviced whilst owned by me, hasn't been MOT'd for 2+ years. It doesn't exist to anyone but me and the DVLA.

Two weeks after I renew the SORN Subaru somehow know that I have a car eligible for scrappage allowance and write to me. I agree that it may be coincidental but it seems pretty weird to me.

I assume your car is insured - possible details have been passed on by your insurer.

As far as I am aware the DVLA do not pass out information for marketing purposes. Sometimes manufacturers go to them to check for owners if they need to get in touch because of faults with their vehicles. Vauxhall did this last year when they had the problem with the handbrake - I didn't know how they got my details either but when I approached them they explained the above.

It hasn't been insured for 12+ months since before I first sorned it as I took it off the road a couple of months before the tax ran out. If it had been then my insurer would definitely have been the first suspect and I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Seems like it will be a good idea to write to the DVLA then and request copies of all enquiries they have had via the 888/2 form.

If Subaru have got the details from the DVLA then you could start lodging complaints through your MP.

I'm actually wondering if they are passig on details to car manufacturers without them having to make individual requests. There is a part of me saying this is a touch paranoid but I honestly can't think where else they got this information from. I got my letter of confirmation of sorn from the DVLA two days ago and today this very personalised letter from Subaru.

The DVLA routinely provide manufacturers with a list of RK's of certain makes and models. It is part of the 'Safety Recall' mechanism where manufacturers and their dealer network need to contact owners (keepers) to arrange recall work they chan specify the cireteria, all - greater or less than a certain year, whatever is required. This is covered by a seperate piece of legislation and the use in this case is rather naughty....

However, if you complain, I have no doubt they'll tell you they provided the info in good faith, so push off and don't bother them again.... :)

Now that makes sense Buzby, thank you. It is naughty. I can understand why manufacturers are doing it in the current climate but I certainly won't be buying a new Subaru as they are obviously a bit cavalier in their use of data.