Parking Ticket. Credit card charges are UNLAWFUL !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The following is a BBC report from yesterday concerning an appeal to the parking adjudicator by Mr Neil Herron ( a well know Parking Campaigner) after London Borough of Camden introduced a credit card transaction fee.

The adjudicator ruled that charging the fee is UNLAWFUL.......and cancelled the PCN !!!!

BBC NEWS | England | London | Many parking tickets 'unlawful'

www.roadsidelawyer.co.uk is brilliant some private company sent an £80 fine for parking on DFS car park whilst in college-as no road parking and college car park full.There had been no proper notices on this piece of ground prohibiting. Solicitor sent a letter drafted by him to my email and do you know it was so effective and the case was dropped!!

Please help! How do you claim if you already paid? I have within the last three months been clamped twice by the bailiffs Whyte & Co (mr kenny) for an unpaid pcn from may 2008 and another older than that, of one i have not records of getting the ticket or receiving any mail from my council (lambeth). Lambeth is now passing all to the bailiffs. I paid one of then with a credit card and they charged me 2% extra for paying with credit card the total bill was over £900 for one pcn.

How can i make a claim?

Guest Happy Contrails
Parking Ticket. Credit card charges are UNLAWFUL !!!

That is an incorrect statement, the adjudicator decision doesnt make credit card charges unlawful. I have spoken to several friends who are lawyers inclding a criminal barrister and a judge, broadly speaking their opinion is:

a) doesnt set a legal precedent - its a decision by an adjudicator.

b) future parking tickets brought to an adjudicator with a credit card fee can also be revoked.

c) not retrospective - previous tickets with a credit card fee can be OOT appealed but not known whether appeal will be allowed on the basis of new information. A guinea pig with an old parking ticket with a credit card fee is needed to test.

Does this include transaction fees by bailiff companies as well? For example Phillips.

No. Nothing to do with bailiffs. Legislation sets what & how much bailiffs charge and the law currently doesnt allow bailiffs to pass on their credit card fees on prescribed charges.

That is an incorrect statement, the adjudicator decision doesnt make credit card charges unlawful. I have spoken to several friends who are lawyers inclding a criminal barrister and a judge, broadly speaking their opinion is:

No. Nothing to do with bailiffs. Legislation sets what & how much bailiffs charge and the law currently doesnt allow bailiffs to pass on their credit card fees on prescribed charges.

Interesting! One question, though, as at least l did not receive any breakdown of the total costs (third party confidentiality) l do not know if the credit card charges are for the original contravention or for contravention + fees? Would guess that it must be for both as the credit card charges are for the entire amount, hence, illegal charges for his fees/costs.

GR