Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4179 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi everyone, a quick query please if anyone can help. My sister has recently had to go bankrupt, she included her old car insurance arrears in the petition and is now in the process of setting up a insurance with a new insurer. The trouble is the new insurers want proof of her nine years no claims discount. My sister has been in touch with her old insurer and they are refusing to supply any written details. The question is, am I right in thinking that under the Data Protection Act they are obliged to send any information they hold on her.

Would be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance folks.

can anyone help please? My sis really doesn't want to have to lose her 9 years no claims discount just because the old insurers are being difficult. Thanks.

Hi Massamum,

Does your sister have the old insurance documents which show the no claims for renewal, these are normally accepted by the new insurance company.

thanks for your response Joemay. My sis does have the old docs but over the phone the new insurer said they won't accept them for some reason. She's decided to just send them off and see how it goes. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't accept them. In any case I would've thought the old insurer would have to disclose them under data protection but who knows. Hope you're well. I keep meaning to have a look at your thread, have been really really busy of late though.

I think she'll be ok with that, had an insurance co who wanted no claims certificate, but just sent copy of old ins docs, told them other insurance co wanted me to pay for cert and I wasn't prepared to do so, they accepted them. If they do insists then maybe your sis could suggest to new insurance co to contact the old one. Yes I would have thought that they should disclose them under data protection. But as we are slowly finding out, through CAG, no all companies do as they should;)

Had no further development on my thread still waiting .....:D Hope all's well with you.

Take care:)

thanks for that Joemay, I will pass that info on to my sis. Its incredible how rude the guy on the phone was to her, talk about toys out the pram! So glad you haven't heard anything on your thread - long may it last I say!

Nice feeling to be keeping them at bay.