style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

first time here..

smiths bailiffs are taking money for council tax i owed it so fair enough. but they charge for taking money over the phone which leaves sending cheques.

i asked to have there bank details so i could pay by standing order and they refused is this legal??????

hope someone can help :-)

Guest Happy Contrails

i asked to have there bank details so i could pay by standing order and they refused is this legal??????

hope someone can help :-)

No its not legal.

The law prescribing bailiffs fees for collecting unpaid council tax is the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and provides £24.00 for a first visit and £18.00 for a second visit if one is made. No other bailiff's fees can lawfully be charged if a bailiff has not moved your goods in a vehicle and you have not signed any document consenting to a levy or a walking possessions agreement (currently a flat rate of £10).

Phone the council, tell them their bailiff has been caught cheating with his fees and commits an offence under Section 2 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 and ask they take the council tax debt back into town hall administration. If the council is uncooperative or vexatious then quickly contact the local government ombudsman.