Refusing to answer security questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If a DCA rings us up & we refuse to answer their security questions...

What law (on our side) does that come under does anyone know?

Loads of times ive been phoned up in the past few weeks & each time ive refused to answer security questions & its caused a right old ding-dong each time.

Ive quoted things like the data protection act & privacy laws etc...(not knowing if its true or not :D)

But i want to try & find out once & for all what laws on the side of the consumer,if any,state that we are right to not answer such questions over the phone like that.

Anyone know? :confused:

Edited by mr.ton

What law (on our side) does that come under does anyone know?
None that I'm aware of, it's purely a matter of choice whether you answer any questions or even converse at all with a complete stranger. There's certainly no law that says you have to.

I agree you didnt ask them to ring you... they took it upon themselves to that... if they ring me I always refuse to answer their stupid security question on the grounds that the information they are asking for is readily available on the internet, electrol rolls etc and I always say to em ask me something only i would know like what is my fav colour?

this usually confuses the threat monkeys and they normally ring off

I have done it with a few of the muppets,they usually hang up , so we must all be doing something right. I have heard it's something to do with Data Protection,they cannot give out information to a stranger. But they want us to give info to them. Yeah as if.

Even before I found CAG, and when my worst crime was being 7 days over my CC payment occasionally (those were the days...... ) I had a bee in my bonnet about call centre staff demanding in pigeon English to discuss my account. Yeah, where you ringing from? Nayshoon Whie? Oh cool, yep here's my details..." ermmm NO.

Might as well hand your debit card to a busker and say take a quid out I'll pick it up later...

Edit: Although I like buskers, in fact, I'd rather give it to a busker than a DCA...

Interestingly enough, in my conversation with Cabot before, I refused to answer the security questions, and just asked "why do you need me to answer these questions" and they just proceeded to talk about the debt and ask for payments. Seeing as I've got the conversation recorded, can I report them for breaking data protection on that?

The monkeys who ring me dont seem to get the principle of that...they automatically assume that coz they are from a DCA that i will automatically answer their security questions.

They seem genuinley perplexed as to why i dont & the reasons i give.

The first rule when dealing with anonymous cold callers, perporting to be DCAs whoever they say they are,or from, is NEVER, NEVER, talk to them on the phone, (writing only) you then have, if they have the audacity to continue to harrass you, it is then that you can retaliate, with the power of the pen and the excellent advice from this site and the caggers.

They do not ring you to do you any favours, give them nothing, admit nothing, Writing only.:D;)

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Hehe I really confused an Iqor threat monkey the other day, she said it was a 'business matter' and asked for my date of birth, and I simply said "I never give information like that to someone I don't know the identity of, that would be really silly wouldn't it" and she just sort of said "oh well, yes, ummmm" and then I quickly interupted and asked her to remove my number from the system as I always do everything by writing and recorded post. She did!!

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

Yes, this has caused me some right problems. I WILL NOT answer any of their "security" questions - no matter how patronising or threatening they become.

But its an interesting point this - lets say a case goes to County Court. The creditor claims the debtor has done nothing to service the debt.

The debtor then says he has tried many times to come to an arrangement with the creditor, but refuses to give that creditor personal information that that creditor is not entitled to - ergo, the "security questions".

The creditor would have to admit to the existence of such security questions ( a simple phone call provides proof).

The debtor is under no legal obligation to supply any personal information.

How do you think this would be viewed by a court?

Just interested.

Yes, this has caused me some right problems. I WILL NOT answer any of their "security" questions - no matter how patronising or threatening they become.

But its an interesting point this - lets say a case goes to County Court. The creditor claims the debtor has done nothing to service the debt.

The debtor then says he has tried many times to come to an arrangement with the creditor, but refuses to give that creditor personal information that that creditor is not entitled to - ergo, the "security questions".

The creditor would have to admit to the existence of such security questions ( a simple phone call provides proof).

The debtor is under no legal obligation to supply any personal information.

How do you think this would be viewed by a court?

Just interested.

There is no law saying debtors must deal with creditors or anyone else by phone. If anything, it is prudent not to give personal data over the phone unless you called them.

If they are happy to phone the number then they are already satisfied the DPA is ok and they have the correct household, other than asking for you by name there is no need to ask any security questions.

When Intrum phoned me the other day they just asked if I was me, I said yes and she went into a full blown rant about a debt I supposedly owe. WIll they ever learn? I think not.

Be good to yourself, when nobody else will

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It never fails to amaze me when they launch into a diatribe spouting on how debtors are immoral, unethical thieving ingrates who deserve no less than a public flogging, penal servitude & transportation to Devils Island. I wonder whether they are looking into a mirror at the time?

Interestingly enough, in my conversation with Cabot before, I refused to answer the security questions, and just asked "why do you need me to answer these questions" and they just proceeded to talk about the debt and ask for payments. Seeing as I've got the conversation recorded, can I report them for breaking data protection on that?
Yes.

I made a complaint to Warehouse about one of their people discussing my (very much alleged!) debt in details after I had refused to confirm my details and got a phone call from one of their managers apologising profusely and assuring me the employee in question was going to go home with a flea in their ear... Whether I believe that or not is immaterial, I have a feeling they would have had a word anyway, because DPA breaches are a big no-no, end of.