• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

"Breach" of s.78 - Effects

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is asserted in many posts and example letters that - if the lender/card operator fails to provide a copy of the CCA then he is "in breach" of the CCA and then per s.78(6) he may not "enforce the agreement".

Our letters go on to assert further - that addition of intererest, default charges, sharing of date with debt agencies etc etc etc may not be applied to the account.

Can someone point me to where this assertion comes from? Is it legislation? or Regulations? or merely guidelines issued by Regulatory Bodies?

Cheers in advance,

R

Edited by Roger_Ahoy
typo

Having a correctly signed executed credit agreement gives the creditor the right in law to do all the things you mention, without it they don't.

Failure to comply with a s.78 request means a court is precluded from enforcing any alleged agreement.

The cca 1974 provides all the legislation you need.

FOS, OFT and ICO are all points for complaint only.

cds:)

• Haha 1

Having a correctly signed executed credit agreement gives the creditor the right in law to do all the things you mention, without it they don't.

Failure to comply with a s.78 request means a court is precluded from enforcing any alleged agreement.

The cca 1974 provides all the legislation you need.

FOS, OFT and ICO are all points for complaint only.

cds:)

Hi

True however the creditor may still take you to court.

The OFT issue guidlines and it is these that say that no action should be taken to colllect on an account when it is in dispute.

This is not legislation but there has been a number of substantial fines issued recently against creditors that have ignored this.

The enforcement starts in the court room so a section 78 breach does not preclude the creditor from issuing default notices or sharing data or chasing the debt.

There have been several cases wher the creditor did not produce a section 78 request and then came up with an agreement in court.

I would keep after them for a copy of the agreement, if it comes to them threatening court action use the CPR route described elswhere.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It is asserted in many posts and example letters that - if the lender/card operator fails to provide a copy of the CCA then he is "in breach" of the CCA and then per s.78(6) he may not "enforce the agreement".

Our letters go on to assert further - that addition of intererest, default charges, sharing of date with debt agencies etc etc etc may not be applied to the account.

Can someone point me to where this assertion comes from? Is it legislation? or Regulations? or merely guidelines issued by Regulatory Bodies?

Cheers in advance,

R

there is however a big diff between an executed agreement that conforms with s.78 and a signed agreement that allows enforcement !!! they can and often do conform with documents fit for......well not much.

the interest is another factor as lots of claims (poc) have interest subject to s.69 (i think) of the county courts act, from which running credit agreements are exempt as they are bound by the contractual interest within the agreement. very difficult if they havent got a signed enforceable one tho !!:rolleyes:

Edited by r&b

Hi

True however the creditor may still take you to court.

The OFT issue guidlines and it is these that say that no action should be taken to colllect on an account when it is in dispute.

This is not legislation but there has been a number of substantial fines issued recently against creditors that have ignored this.

The enforcement starts in the court room so a section 78 breach does not preclude the creditor from issuing default notices or sharing data or chasing the debt.

There have been several cases wher the creditor did not produce a section 78 request and then came up with an agreement in court.

I would keep after them for a copy of the agreement, if it comes to them threatening court action use the CPR route described elswhere.

Peter

It may be of assistance here to learn that there is a test case currently going to the commercial court in London before Mr Justice Smith on the rights of creditors to damage credit files where there is no agreement/the agreement is unenforceable as it is not within teh scheme of the Act to allow a creditor to take retaliatory action

On the issue of getting the agreement, firstly the CPR route will get you a copy of the agreement

however there is also a right to inspection under the CPR where you can go to the offices where the agreement is kept so that you can view the original too;)

by PT:

however there is also a right to inspection under the CPR where you can go to the offices where the agreement is kept so that you can view the original too"

Where is this stated in the Regulations?

AC

Inspection and copying of documents

Where a party has a right to inspect a document –

(a) that party must give the party who disclosed the document written notice of his wish to inspect it;

(b) the party who disclosed the document must permit inspection not more than 7 days after the date on which he received the notice; and

© that party may request a copy of the document and, if he also undertakes to pay reasonable copying costs, the party who disclosed the document must supply him with a copy not more than 7 days after the date on which he received the request.

(Rule 31.3 and 31.14 deal with the right of a party to inspect a document)

the above is from the CPR and below is from Blackstones

INSPECTION AND COPYING OF DOCUMENTS

48.57 The right of inspection of a disclosed document is contained in CPR, r. 31.3, which provides

that a party to whom a document has been disclosed has a right to inspect it, except where:

(a) the document is no longer in the control of the party who disclosed it;

(b) the party disclosing the document has a right or duty to withhold inspection of it (see

48.24 to 48.55); or

© the disclosing party considers that it would be disproportionate to the issues in the case to

permit inspection of documents within a category or class of document disclosed under

r. 31.6(b) (adverse documents) (see 48.23).

Written notice of a wish to inspect a document must be given to the party who disclosed it

(r. 31.15(a)) and inspection must be permitted not more than seven days after the date of

receipt of that notice (r. 31.15(b)). A party may, instead of physical inspection, request a copy

of the document, and, provided there is also an undertaking to pay reasonable copying costs,

the party who disclosed the document must supply a copy not later than seven days after the

date of receipt of the request (r. 31.15©). This rule is unclear, but it is submitted that the

seven-day period in respect of supplying copies should begin when the undertaking to pay for

the copies is given.

Under r. 31.12 the court may make an order for specific inspection, which is an order that a

party permit inspection of a document, named in the order, which the party sought to

exclude from inspection under r. 31.2(2) (permission to inspect would be disproportionate to

the issues in the case, see 48.23). An application for an order under r. 31.12 must be made by

application notice (see 48.11).

Excellent PT and Thank You.

This is particularly interesting when used in relation to pre 2004 agreements that were applied for via the internet!

AC

well, id look at the CPR if you want to look at the documents, of course we all tend to fall under the mistaken belief that you are only entitled to be sent a copy under disclosure

the rules provide a clear entitlement to inspect the document disclosed and this also means that you can inspect the original if you wish,

however sadly, i cannot give any further advice as certain people seem to be intent on causing problems which means that the advice which i could share is unfortunatly only going to be accessible to clients, hey ho

remember though, the advice i give on here is pro bono, and given without prejudice, if legal advice is needed one should always seek the guidance of an insured professional:)

well, id look at the CPR if you want to look at the documents, of course we all tend to fall under the mistaken belief that you are only entitled to be sent a copy under disclosure

the rules provide a clear entitlement to inspect the document disclosed and this also means that you can inspect the original if you wish,

however sadly, i cannot give any further advice as certain people seem to be intent on causing problems which means that the advice which i could share is unfortunatly only going to be accessible to clients, hey ho

remember though, the advice i give on here is pro bono, and given without prejudice, if legal advice is needed one should always seek the guidance of an insured professional:)

I fully understand PT:)

Pity, that some people have rocked the boat so to speak. However, I wasn't looking for free advice, just a backup of what information that has already been provided to me.

Your pro bomo advice on here, is of great assistance to me and many.

AC

I fully understand PT:)

Pity, that some people have rocked the boat so to speak. Yes it is a shame but sadly, thats life isnt it the real shame of course is that the person sought to conduct personal attacks upon me rather than enter into clear and reasoned debate. as you know i support my views where needed by case law authorities but sadly the person who sought to cause problems when asked to support their view with case authorities or any thing of substance just turned nasty and personal , hey ho there we go.

Your pro bono advice on here, is of great assistance to me and many.

AC

you are very welcome, i try to help people where i can . if the otehr side refuse to allow inspection where you are entitled to inspect, then an order fo the court is needed as i understand it so an application would need to be made

Where do you stand if the creditor admits they have destroyed the original agreement/application form?

Would I not be seen as "a gift" by the court? If they have no agreenment how can they base the case? Sorry just trying to get my head around this.

Trooper68

Trooper68:)

They have a microfiche copy of the application form/agreement, but not the original.

I believe they deliberately destroyed the originals to cover up the errors in those documents - namely no prescribed terms - and have phototcopied a column of terms onto the application form to make it seem compliant:|

They have a microfiche copy of the application form/agreement, but not the original.

I believe they deliberately destroyed the originals to cover up the errors in those documents - namely no prescribed terms - and have phototcopied a column of terms onto the application form to make it seem compliant:|

I understood a photocopy could not be seemed as a "true copy" as it is easy docterd, Legal Admissibility of Scanned Documents

I did read (somewhere) that it must have a Certificate of Conformity or a statement of Authenticity. You could ask to view the microfile at there office, did you do a SAR?

hope this helps

Trooper68

• Haha 1

Thanks for that, Trooper.:D Very Helpful!

I'm waiting a few weeks to send for my SAR to allow time for the DN date to expire.

Very tactical, I bet they don't send it all or forget to include items.

Just did a SAR on two companys.

Very insightful, one has put there "famiily Jewels" right in it. The other a DCA has 3 days left. not even going to send a letter to them, gonna nail them to the floor.

Trooper68

Very tactical, I bet they don't send it all or forget to include items.

Just did a SAR on two companys.

Very insightful, one has put there "famiily Jewels" right in it. The other a DCA has 3 days left. not even going to send a letter to them, gonna nail them to the floor.

Trooper68

:D Let me know if you need some 6 inch nails and a hammer, I'll be happy to oblige;)