Jump to content

problems receiving mail regarding council tax/ bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi All


Ok, here's my story......


I moved (rented) house last September and contacted the Council Tax office to settle my final bill, I wasn't the bill payer at the new house. I disputed the figure they billed me for by email. I didn't hear back after several weeks, and went abroad for several months from December and to be honest, forgot about it. I came home in April, still nominally living at the second address but it was only staying with friends and things had changed there and I'm doing a lot of 'sofa surfing' until I find some regular work and am more 'on my feet'.

When visiting family last weekend at an address I used to live at many many years ago I found 2 letters from rossendales regarding the bill. I contacted the council asap but they said it was now out of their hands but told me they'd written to me while I'd been away and had no response (they hadn't emailed me, which they had done in other cases).

I went to my local legal advice centre who contacted the council, got my figure reduced as I had disputed and said that rossendales would be given the new figure. I tried to ring rossendales but gave up after being in a queue. They rang me back, I told them what was happening, there was a fairly terse discussion, I mentioned, as the advice centre had told me, they acted illegally in writing to me at my family's address. I said I was willing to pay the revised figure. I tried to call them today to check they had got the figure but couldn't get through again, so I emailed them, mainly to explain that even though I'm back in the UK, i don't always get my mail at the address where I'm registered as living and asked them to contact me by phone or email. I don't mind paying my council tax - well I do, but I've gone to some trouble to improve my credit record lately - but I do mind paying excess bailiff fees and am also worried if they can't get hold of me that my credit rating will take a blow, or that I can get anydocumentary proof of the matter being settled, and I also wonder if there is any legal recourse regarding them writing to me at an old address as the advice centre suggested - but were too busy to explain in detail!


Thanks for any advice/ info



Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest Happy Contrails

This letter should clear up the bailiff fee problem. Send one to the council and one to the bailiff:



Address 1

Address 2

Address 3





Dear Sir/Madam


Re: [YOUR NAME + REF]: Your fees.


I write following a visit by your bailiff however there appears to an irregularity with his fees and I ask you to provide the following in writing within fourteen (14) days:


1) The name and address of the court that issued the certificate for the bailiff in charge


2) The amount of i) bailiffs fees, and ii) the original debt


3) Truthfully confirm the bailiffs fees comply with legislation


If you appear to be unable or unwilling to provide the above, I will automatically commence proceedings on that basis.


This letter is delivered by Royal Mail and a certificate of posting has been obtained. It is your responsibility this letter is handed to the relevant person in your organisation.


Yours Sincerely




No positive responce then contact the local government ombudsman and put in for a claim for damages for being defrauded by the council's bailiff.


The law prescribing bailiffs fees for collecting unpaid council tax is the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and provides £24.00 for a first visit and £18.00 for a second visit if one is made. No other bailiff's fees can lawfully be charged if a bailiff has not moved your goods in a vehicle and you have not signed any document consenting to a levy or a walking possessions agreement (currently a flat rate of £10).

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...



Belated thankyou for your reply. I've paid all the lawful charges now and am not living where I was so I'm considering the matter closed but if I do get any problems your letter will help me I'm sure.


Thankyou again



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...