Debt collection agency wants money for something I haven't purchased

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK yeah I agree, if the bank has refunded you the money then it would be pretty pointless in escalating the complaint further.

As for the clowns who have told you to pay the money before midnight or you'll grow a long tail and pointed ears, they definitely need pulling down a peg or two, and I would strongly recommend you make a formal complaint to the OFT, giving them both copies of their threatogrammes, although they do not look into individual complaints, they do take into account the number of complaints they receive for each company and when it reaches a certain level then they will investigate:D so you never know, your complaint might be the one that breaks the camels back!;)

If you email RM and ask them to specifically look into your registered mail that you sent, they will normally get back to you within 7 days, especially if you mention that you are looking at getting a refund for services you paid for but haven't received!;)

Had a quick look though the OFT guidelines.. will take a while to note every one of them down. I see where your coming from though.

I was under the impression I had to wait 15 working days or something silly to ask the RM where it has gone?

I was under the impression I had to wait 15 working days or something silly to ask the RM where it has gone?

I'm not sure, I've just had a look on RM's website, and can't find anything which states you have to wait a certain length of time:confused:

It has been 8 or 9 days now, so you should be able to view it online? It won't hurt to ask them just to get the ball rolling, they are normally quite good in getting the info for you.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I'm not sure, I've just had a look on RM's website, and can't find anything which states you have to wait a certain length of time:confused:

It has been 8 or 9 days now, so you should be able to view it online? It won't hurt to ask them just to get the ball rolling, they are normally quite good in getting the info for you.

All it says atm on the tracking is: "Item BRXXXXXXXXXGB has been accepted at c/o Spar Store XXXX XXX on 10/06/09"

And at the top 'We have your item'.

I can't see where on the website to report it but I can only presume that they have just refused to sign for the letter. I've sent another one today anyway so we shall soon see if that gets stuck with the RM too.

It's just odd that I haven't had the letter returned yet..

I can only presume that they have just refused to sign for the letter.

No, each time I have used recorded delivery, the recipient has to sign for it, which is not necessarily the person you addressed it to.

On one of mine, all I had was the tail end of a signature, which just looked like a line:confused: When I asked RM about this they then produced the signature in it's entirety, it turned out this particular DCA had received ten recorded letters that day and had signed for the lot in bulk.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

No, each time I have used recorded delivery, the recipient has to sign for it, which is not necessarily the person you addressed it to.

On one of mine, all I had was the tail end of a signature, which just looked like a line:confused: When I asked RM about this they then produced the signature in it's entirety, it turned out this particular DCA had received ten recorded letters that day and had signed for the lot in bulk.

Fair enough. Just seems odd that the website says that the post office still has the item..

Fair enough. Just seems odd that the website says that the post office still has the item..

Really!:eek:

Sorry I misunderstood, in that case then, is it possible for you to go into the RM branch that you sent the letter from and ask them what is going on?

Taken from the OFT site:

False representation of authority and/or legal position

2.3 Those contacting debtors must not be deceitful by misrepresenting their authority

and/or the correct legal position.

2.4 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

b. falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally

cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings

when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings or claiming a

right of entry when no court order to this effect has been granted

f. pursuing third parties for payment when they are not liable

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. sending demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that

they are the debtor in question, for example, threatening debt recovery

action to 'the occupier' or sending a payment demand to all people sharing

the same name/date of birth as a debtor in the hope that contact with the

correct debtor will be made.

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

So the list is endless! If you are perfectly happy that they are barking up the wrong tree then I wouldn't be at all concerned with the junk mail they like to send.

Up until they start to add things to your credit file to your detriment, but that is a whole other ball game:D

Really!:eek:

Sorry I misunderstood, in that case then, is it possible for you to go into the RM branch that you sent the letter from and ask them what is going on?

Taken from the OFT site:

False representation of authority and/or legal position

2.3 Those contacting debtors must not be deceitful by misrepresenting their authority

and/or the correct legal position.

2.4 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

b. falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally

cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings

when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings or claiming a

right of entry when no court order to this effect has been granted

f. pursuing third parties for payment when they are not liable

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. sending demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that

they are the debtor in question, for example, threatening debt recovery

action to 'the occupier' or sending a payment demand to all people sharing

the same name/date of birth as a debtor in the hope that contact with the

correct debtor will be made.

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

So the list is endless! If you are perfectly happy that they are barking up the wrong tree then I wouldn't be at all concerned with the junk mail they like to send.

Up until they start to add things to your credit file to your detriment, but that is a whole other ball game:D

I'll go to the post office on Monday/Tuesday and see what they have to say then :) maybe they can help..

Thanks for the OFT bits I'll get that sent off too :)

I'm going to go to the post office tomorrow to find out what's going on as I still haven't had the original letter returned to me and both tracking numbers are saying that the post office still have the letter...