Car Insurance cancelled and was not notified - Can I complain/claim???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I pay by D/D monthly, however, my insurance company took two payments last month, 1st May and 11th May. The 11th May is the correct day.

When the 1st payment went out I let it go, then when the 11th payment went out I got my bank to recall it as I wasnt meant to be paying 2 premiums a month.

I received an automatically generated letter from my insurers stating I need to reactivate the direct debit before end of May otherwise my Policy would be cancelled.

This I did straight away and explained about the double payments, they said that somewhere along the line I had missed a payment and they were taking 2 to catch up - fair enough I thought and agreed that they would do this in June.

I received a letter confirming that a payment would be taken 1st June and further payments on the 11th June.

The 1st June payment wasnt taken, so I phoned them up on this day and asked why when the DD was all set up and reactivated. The lady said that it should have been taken and to basically keep an eye on it and see if it goes out on the 2nd.

It didnt go out on the 2nd and up until today this payment hasnt gone out. I therefore assumed they were going to take double payments on my normal payment date which is the 11th.

I regularly check the ASK.MID website to make sure that I am always fully insured - I checked this yesterday and was fine, when I checked this morning it glared at me in black and red and stated I was NOT insured!

I telephoned my insurance company and they said that the Policy had been cancelled and I needed to speak with the underwriters who dealt with this. I rang them up and they basically passed the buck back to the broker! By this time I am more concerned about the possibility of driving into work uninsured - what happens if i was hit or I hit someone else? What happens if my son was in the car and something awful had happened or even worse stopped by the police, fined and my car impounded????

I was told that the Policy had been cancelled and that I would need to start a new policy and pay off the monies owed on the cancelled one - this was two monthly payments of around £100. I told them they were not getting a penny out of me until this was sorted out!

It took nearly an hour for the broker to admit that they had made a big mistake and admit that they were in the wrong!

They admitted that when I reinstated the Policy it generated the letter confirming dates of payments which I had in front of me when I rang them. I asked if the Policy was to be cancelled why this wasnt brought up when I telephoned on the 1st June? I also said where is the letter informing me that my Policy was due to be cancelled????

They said they had written to me stating this, however, this letter never arrived!

The letter was actually dated 20th May and I stated that I received a letter dated 19th May confirming payment dates. He said this should have pushed the Policy through to take the payment and didnt and it failed and cancelled the Policy.

He admitted it was their error and apologised.

Now ironically enough whilst trying to sort this out I rapidly got insured through someone else and am now paying £20 a month less!

HOWEVER - I have said that I will be writing a letter of complaint as this could have caused serious consequences for me this morning had I been stopped or been in an accident!

I am sorry that this question so long, BUT do I have valid grounds to complain and perhaps claim compensation? The team I work with think I have and I just wanted some "outside" advice, thanks LL

CapQuest Stat Demand ~ WON :D

Vanquis Overlimit & Late Payment Charges ~ F&F Settlement received - 2nd June 09

Welcome Finance CCJ ~ Set Aside 22nd May 09 ~ WON :D CCJ SET ASIDE WHOO HOOO!!!!

Capital One Charges & Default Removal ~ ongoing

bump

Vanquis Overlimit & Late Payment Charges ~ F&F Settlement received - 2nd June 09

Welcome Finance CCJ ~ Set Aside 22nd May 09 ~ WON :D CCJ SET ASIDE WHOO HOOO!!!!

Has anyone got any advice pelase before submitting my letter of complaint?

I do have one concern. Rightly or wrongly your insurance was cancelled. Your new insurance company, what did you tell them in answer to the question...

'Have you ever had insurance cancelled or declined?'

You have no choice than to say yes until this is sorted out.

I don't think it'd anything to do with that.

To me, it is a cockup happening somewhere that someone is responsible for but for which noone will take responsibility.

As such, I would just leave it. Don't go to that insurer again. And for heavens sake, don't bother checking some third party website. Check with whom you have the contract with. Check your bank account. But not some other website, however reliable they may be. You don't have a contract with them.

Have you cause for complaint? Yes. Is it worth pursuing? That depends on your pocket and resistance to stress and whether you want a "sorry about what happened, though we don't mean it and are just saying it to stop you writing in" or some money.

Apologies if that sounds mean, but that's the bare bones of it.

Now who would like to give me a job knowing I would happily say that?