Visibility and height of Residents Parking Sign?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I recieved a PCN for parking in a Residents Parking bay without a permit. I was not aware that it was 'residents only' as the sign is almost completely obscured by a bush. It is also less than 2ft off the ground so it will usually be obscured by other parked vehicles.

I have spent several hours researching PCN regs so that I can quote the relevent legislation in my first appeal but I have not been able to find it.

The only part I have found about visibility relates to artificial lighting in hours of darkness.

Please help!

yes it's a council ticket. thanks! But no help on the actual wording that states a sign must be visible. I know it should be a given that signs need to be visible, but it also must be stated somewhere in legislation. In my experience if you can't quote the relevent law then the reply from the '****-cil' is "don't care, pay up!"

yes it's a council ticket. thanks! But no help on the actual wording that states a sign must be visible. I know it should be a given that signs need to be visible, but it also must be stated somewhere in legislation. In my experience if you can't quote the relevent law then the reply from the '****-cil' is "don't care, pay up!"

Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 reg.11

Signs, markings and signals to be of the size, colour and type shown in the diagrams

11. - (1) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations, a sign for conveying information or a warning, requirement, restriction, prohibition or speed limit of the description specified under a diagram in Schedules 1 to 7, Part II of Schedule 10 and Schedule 12 to traffic on roads shall be of the size, colour and type shown in the diagram.

There is also case law to the effect that a sign must be clear and as prescribed (David v Heatley). Furthermore, three have been numerous speeding prosecutions successfully defended on the visibility of signs (although I am not sure that these reached a high enough Court to set precedent)

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me the maximum height that a permit holders parking sign can be as I was clamped this week by a PPC and would like to appeal this before going on holiday on Tuesday 9th August if possible.

The sign was almost at first floor window height and as such I did not look anywhere near to that high when I scanned the area when parking. It's a £250 cash fine which I'd like to wrench back of them if at all possible as I only stopped there as I was desparate for a wee at the time and had no option but to wee myself or stop and try to find a McDonalds etc.

Thanks

Carlos.

Can anyone tell me the maximum height that a permit holders parking sign can be as I was clamped this week by a PPC and would like to appeal this before going on holiday on Tuesday 9th August if possible.

The sign was almost at first floor window height and as such I did not look anywhere near to that high when I scanned the area when parking. It's a £250 cash fine which I'd like to wrench back of them if at all possible as I only stopped there as I was desparate for a wee at the time and had no option but to wee myself or stop and try to find a McDonalds etc.

Thanks

Carlos.

You wont find any regulations, as they are not regulated all you can do is show that they were not visible or difficult to see. Seeing its a private clamper I would be surprised if an appeal would be successful. You will probably need to sue the clamper and the landowner to get your money back.

PS: The BPA do set a standard for the size of signs, but there recommendations!