what is classed as wear and tear?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya, i live in a property that is just 1 year old, i privately rent. I may have to move soon but am a bit worried as several things have happened in the house.

Near the front door the plaster has cracked down the edge, same at the patio door, some of the plaster on the walls is cracked slightly and the skirting board leading up the side of the stairs has cracked at the bottom which is quite noticable. I dont think we have caused this and think its because the house is new and still setteling down into itself.

I have however caused a few scuffs to the paint work from moving furniture, brushing against it etc, nothing majour, jus some marks.

would i loose some of my deposit over this? i only paid a low deposit in comparison to the rent, so dont really want to loose any as would need to boost it up if i move

Thanks

:D

Cracks in the plaster I'm sure you would not be expected to cover! As for wall scuffs, after a year there would be a certain amount of wear and tear expected... All depends on how reasonable your landlords are normally? Do they seem like nice people?

Babywipes and Magic Erasers are brilliant on wall scuffs, try both/either to minimise the marks and you will probably be fine. There are a few landlords who would expect to repaint in between tenants anyway.

wear and tear is the sort of stuff that can be expected to happen in normal use. as a rough rule if the problem was caused by an accident then it is not wear and tear (eg ball through window, red wine on carpet). If something can be restored with cleaning then it isn't.

wall scuff - difficult call. Depends on how many and how severe.

Cracks - settlement cracks - should be no problem.