• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CLYDESDALE BANK (Yorkshire Bank) ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:) Hi I am in the process of claiming back bank charges from clydesdale bank (Yorkshire Bank) there response after I sent letter prior to action has been refusal to pay up. I will now try filing a claim through the court. Has anyone out there had dealings with this bank? if so how did you get on. Would appreciate any advise or help. Thanks

Hi - take a bit of time to read up first to make sure that you have the facts before going too far ahead. Read the FAQs and template letters then have a good read around here to see how others are getting on. Keep any progress on your own claim or questions that arise in a new thread in the forums for your banks to make it easier for others to follow and advise you. There's a set of links in my sig below that will help you find where all this useful information is. Well done for getting started! :)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Hi

Thanks for your help and advice I have started the on line claim but don't want to rush it too much so I am progressing a little slow at the moment. on the section where you give details of your claim is there any particular wording you use and also I understand any claim over 5 grand is not able to go through the small court my particular claim would go over that amount with interest and court fees what do you advise? :confused:

Thanks for your help

RUDAV

Have a read in the Clydesdale/Yorkshire forum to see how they've responded to other claims against them. You have two options when the amount of the claim (excluding court fees and s69 interest) comes to more than £5000. You can sever the claim into to parts and just claim the oldest charges first up to just under £5000 worth. Once that claim is settled file again for the rest, but check any terms and conditions on the first settlement when you accept it.

The other option is to claim the full amount in one go. This will leave you open to costs of up to £750 if you lose, plus your court fee, but will also allow you to ask for full disclosure of their real costs for the penalty charges. The banks don't want to do this, so they are still likely to pay out without going to court.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

• 1 month later...

Hi I sent my Data Protection Request to my branch in Falkirk and received an acknowlegement letter from the network support centre in glasgow stating that they will provide me with statements back to 2000, as this is where all charges are detailed, but would take up to 40 days as stated i the DP act.

I then got a letter from Janette Martin at the operations centre in Falkirk, saying she had been trying to contact me urgently and could I contact her asap. (with a few spelling mistakes in the letter which made me laugh!)

Is it best to reply to the letter or call? has anyone had a similar letter or have they tried to phone you??

Andy

Rudav, markandandrew is only at the first stage not at court yet. Markandandrew you might find it easier to start your own thread and also i cannot see any harm in contacting their DPA section but you might want to look at your banks particular forum to see how the are dealing with things and if getting in touch is worth it!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I then got a letter from Janette Martin at the operations centre in Falkirk, saying she had been trying to contact me urgently and could I contact her asap.

They may need information from you to confirm your I.D.

Data Controllers have a duty to ensure that information is not divulged to anyone who is not entitled to it.

Other than that, don't get involved in dialogue with them. If you keep everything in writing then it could prevent a problem, later, trying to remember what you said.

• Confused 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

bit the bullen and called Jeanette this morning to find that she was contacting me to ask if i wanted a loan! so nothing to do with the DSR. all statements received and just adding up the charges now arghhh!

HUH! Typical. :D

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

hi igot reply from sar and the bank said

We note your request for disclosure of data relating to manual intervention on your account. This is not data which you are entitled to recieve under a data subject access request and accordingly no such disclosure will be made.

Should i request this again as i no there was manual intervention

• 4 months later...

Wish You All Good Luck, My Claim Started Back In July And Is Still Not Sorted,i Have A Preliminary Hearing Withthe Judge On 5th March, Not Quite Sure What That Involves But I Am Determined To Get What I Am Owed !

Wow Rudav, nearly 5 months since we heard from you. Hope it all goes well for you. Just post on here if you aren't sure of anything.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...
:) GOOD NEWS !! PRELIMINARY HEARING WAS ON 5TH MARCH GUESS WHAT CLYDESDALE SENT A LETTER A WEEK BEFORE THE HEARING OFFERING ME HALF THE AMOUNT, I IGNORED THE LETTER AND BINGO I RECEIVED A SECOND LETTER WITH A CHEQUE FOR THE FULL AMOUNT:lol: PRIOR TO THE HEARING. ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE HANG ON YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY. IT TOOK ME ALMOST 7 MONTHS BUT I REFUSED TO LET THEM SCARE AND BULLY ME INTO GIVING IN. THANKS TO THE FORUM FOR HELP AND ADVISE.

Brilliant news. Congratulations.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have just added all of the charges irregular fees etc, can I claim for charges called cheque card misuse? where they have honoured a cheque where there has been insufficient funds (this normally happened just before pay day and the accound was always brought up to credit and all of the charges paid)

totals approaching £4k.......

It was a penalty so yes. Please start your own thread or your posts could be missed and it's easier to follow your progress.