Charges on Account in Dispute - Are They Allowed?

Trixiewillis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have an on-going dispute with MBNA, which I've referred to the Financial Services Ombudsman. I'll scan some paperwork and upload it later as I'd like opinions on whether it's worth the fight (I'm over 8 months pregnant and am finding the stress of dealing with it all a bit much to cope with!!)

However, in the meantime, I wondered if someone could give me a quick answer to this: Despite the account being in dispute and I've used those very words with MBNA and informed them I'm passing the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman, they're still adding late payment and interest charges to the balance every month. Are they allowed to do that? Given that the FSO say it can take 6-9 months for them to resolve an issue, I could end up owing a small fortune at the end of all this if they don't come down on my side!!

Thanks,

Trixiewillis

sadly they can

but any charges/interest resulting from them can always be reclaimed anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

pop to the homepage

its all there

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to update on what happened in the end with MBNA (would have posted sooner, but a new baby has been taking up most of my time!!)

The FSO negotiated between myself and MBNA and an agreement was finally reached where MBNA would refund me just under £100 worth of unfair charges, write off my credit card balance (which was almost all charges from them) and close my account. It took a few months to resolve and a little pushing from me to get the FSO to pursue them for charges. Even after an agreement had been reached, MBNA still sent me threatening letters about the outstanding debt.

Just wanted people to know, it's worth pursuing as people like MBNA will push you around if they think they can get away with it! :)