• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

binkhus v Yorkshire Bank - Offer of full settlement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i sent off my letter to yorkshire bank requesting my refund, and got a phone call from the manager this morning.

he said that although he was sympathetic and i had obviously seen on tv about the bank charges ect when i sighned for my account about 3 months ago i was aware of the cost of bank charges ect.

he also said that because my account is only a basic account i dont get charged for a lot of this such as over draft facilitys (because i havent got one!) and the charges that i do get charged may seem excessive but they have overheads and staff to pay because of interactions such as his phone call to me.

i told him that i would get in touch with my legal advisors on line (thats you guys) and get back to him.

he is sending me out a leaflet with all the charges on , what do i do now?

continue as planned to your timetable, its just a stalling technique, if they call back, tell them not to call you again and if they have anything to say please put it in writing

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

First thing I would do is stop talking to the manager over the telephone. Make sure you only communicate via letter, to make sure you can keep an accurate record of everything that you could present in court if needed.

Did you send the prelim approach letter from the templates on this site? If you did, you need to wait 14 days from the date they received it and then send your letter before action.

Yorkshire Bank £4697 Settled in full:D

Bank of Ireland Mortgages £1055 + Interests + costs Settled in full

MSDW £495 Settled in full

Both replies perfectly correct - it's another stalling tactic, don't let them rattle you.

You're giving them a perfectly reasonable timetable to refund all of the money that was unlawfully taken from your account.

Stick to it!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

hi

bank manager got my lba and rang again today saying that the charges are not unlawfull and its my responsibility to keep my account in order ect. he also said that if i wanted to take things further , which he would not suggest, i have to firstly go through the financial ombudsmans service. he said the website im getting my info from is very wrong and that when i sighned up for my account i knew about the charges and agreed to them and entered into a contract with them.

he was quiet angry on the fone and it all sounded right what he was saying , help someone give me some advise!!

emma

Guest Lueeze

NO DONT LISTEN TO HIM HE IS TALKING POO!!!! :wink:

You sound like you have not reasearched much on this site, do so and you will be reassured you are doing the right thing.

Guest Lueeze

What stage are you at?

Ignore the Ombudsman they are as useless as a chocolate tea pot!

Also igonre ANYTHING the bank say UNLESS its to offer you a full refund.

Reasearch reasearch reasearch, then you will be 100% confident you are right in reclaiming them.... xxx

Guest Lueeze

Well claim now then if the 14 days are past since the LBA was sent.

Please make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing before filling though as you cannot back once you have.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this a YB tactic since our branch manager told my wife that we should do the same!

Our branch (now Coventry since our local one was closed in February) are playing a most peculiar game. Originaly they were claiming in excess of £200 in fees relating to a rent account which was used by our tenant to pay his rent in cash over the counter. Due to a missunderstanding, 2 direct debits attempted to come out obviously without any funds being in it. I complained in writing asking them to cancel all of these charges writing them off against their percieved savings from branch closure. Initialy they refused, untill I replied withdrawing my offer and requesting copies of 2 account's statements over 6 years. They then reviewed their earlier decision and offerd to cancel the charges from the rent account provided I accepted within a short timeframe.

Obviously I didn't reply instead, having calculated the total charges in excess of £5000. requested a full refund. Having awaited a reply over 2 weeks, my wife rang to be told that they considered that I had accepted their offer so I should take it up with the ombudsman.

Did you go down that avenue?:!:

To binkus and anybody else.

DO NOT ENTER INTO PHONE CONVERSATIONS!!!!

Refuse to discuss things over the phone. Refuse meetings at the branch. Insist that everything be put in writing. That way they are accountable for everything they say!

Yorkshire Bank £4697 Settled in full:D

Bank of Ireland Mortgages £1055 + Interests + costs Settled in full

MSDW £495 Settled in full

Turt is spot on. DO NOT GET INTO PHONE CONVERSATIONS.

If you are phoned just ask them to put any comments they may have in writing so that you can consider your response. They are trying to put you off. They want you to do things their way.

Read the FAQ's, follow the step by step instructions, stick to your timetable. Understand that you are now taking back control of your own finances, but the banks don't like it. Yorkshire/Clydesdale use every scare tactic they can think of, but the bottom line is that their actions in charging are unlawful, which is why they don't want court action.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

i started my econd claim against lloyds bank £684.25! just got the letter back saying no! they say its a fee for services that are detailed before i sighned up for the account, but then go on to say they dont charge you if its the first time you have been naughty in 12 months.... that sounds like a penalty to me?

they also said they dont agree with theofts thinking and are still talking it through with them.... ha ha ha im quiet looking forward to court now. can i use this letter as evidence of penalty charges?

thanx emma

I don't agree I am afraid, as they are calling it a fee for a service, but will let you off that service fee if you are usually good. They have not admitted to it being a penalty I don't think.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It depends what service they say it is for. If they claim bouncing cheques, allowing people over there authorised overdraft limits, charging for not paying out direct debits or standing orders to be a service, then those who manage their accounts better than us naughty people will not receive this "service" so won't get charged for it. If you receive the service you will be charged. They call it a service to avoid calling it a penalty, although we both know that is what it is.

If, for example, you wanted the bank to provide you with a bankers draft, you might have to pay for that service. You would not expect other people who didn't want a bankers draft to have to pay for it. That would be a genuine service, so you could not say that the bank were penalising you because everyone else did not pay for it. They didn't pay because they did not get that service. The bank might say to you though, that if it is the first time that you have had a bankers draft in 12 months we won't charge you for that service. They would still have provided a service for which they could legitimately charge you. It would not make charging for the service a penalty.

I hope that makes sense.:rolleyes:

sorry i didnt make my self clear, my banks letter said that if you used one of these "services" and it was your first slip up in 12 months they usually wont charge you for this "service" because you have only been naughty the once.

if it was a true service and not a penalty wouldnt every one have to pay for it every time they use it?

i just thought this letter could be usefull? what do you think?

I am not an expert, but I am not convinced by your reasoning. I would not like to say which of us is right, but you have the benefit of seeing the whole letter in context, so are in a better position to judge.

no your probely right, i dont know much about this sort of stuff it just seemed that it should work that way logically. its a good job my whole case doesnt depend on that piece solely lol. thanx for the advise, you never know lloyds may not take it to the court stage.

• 1 month later...

sorry i havent kept you all in the loop but iv been really busy.

i went into court to file my claims against yorkshire bank and lloyds tsb and they have untill the 29th to reply.

got home from college today there is a letter from yorkshire bank- they want to settle in full out of court!!!!

one down one to go!

Congratulations binkhus :D :D

I hope i get a similar response.

YB Data Protection Act letter sent recorded post 14-7-06

statements recieved 8-08-06

prelim letter sent 9-08-06

LBA letter sent 26-08-06

MCOL filed 18-09-06

AQ Filed 6-11-06

Court date 22-2-07