Can I challenge this badly printed PCN?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a polite letter already prepared to contest this ticket due to my circumstances, and I will possibly photocopy it and upload it later for your opinions. But firstly, I was just wondering, would this PCN be something I can challenge due to the fact that some of the first letters and words are difficult to read in the small print paragraphs? Also, right down at the bottom on the tear off slip, there's some terrible double print going on making it pretty unreadable.

Screenshot of ticket:

Edited by freakyleaky
Link had links to dubious sites.

Actually, I'll go ahead and post my draft letter. What do you think, anything I should change or drop? I live in a road which has NEVER had traffic wardens come down, it's quite far down from the main high street for them to have ever bothered. All of a sudden, they've painted these bloody double yellows everywhere making it even harder for residents to park. In truth, I NEVER expected these new lines to be enforced, and when I couldn't find anywhere to park outside my house late the other night I thought sod it, I'll park there, who's gonna find out. How wrong I was. There's probably vans driving around doing inspections. So I'm gonna try it on with them. I think its only fair that barnet council let residents off for a first time offence, especially when it's right outside their house. :mad:

Edited by freakyleaky
Links to inapropriate sites.

Tear off strip isn't part of the PCN, so it doesn't matter that it's illegible. Rest of the ticket is fine to my eyes.

Forget that and concentrate on your breakdown.

In your letter stick to facts, not your opinion on their ticketing policies.

Simple car broke down, circumstances beyond your control, proof from your mechanic.

Thanks guys, I'll erase the subjective stuff and get onto my mechanic. Do you mean get something in writing right now from him and send a copy to them with my letter, or just have him prepared in case? Is this edited version of my letter ok?

" I would appreciate if you could drop this penalty charge for reasons

given below.

Please find enclosed a copy of a photograph I have printed out from google street view. I live at xxxxxxxxxx, a ground floor flat I bought in 1987, and which is approximately 3 cars length from where my car was parked when a ticket was issued. I have marked comments on the photograph between my house and where I parked. I do of course appreciate that road markings such as double yellow lines are not for parking in at any time.

However, there was nothing I could do to avoid it since my car engine stalled and would not restart on my approach along xxxxxxxx just as I reached my house. All I could do was allow the car to roll back and steer it into the closest and only available space which happened to be on the double yellow lines. I locked the car, walked to my house, rang my mechanic to come asap to move it and fix it, and to get a pencil and paper to put a note inside the car that I had broken down. In the few minutes this took, I came out to a ticket. I am not in any way disputing the legal right you have to issue me a ticket. But with all due respect, this was most certainly not an attempt to park intentionally but because the car had become immobile. I felt it was better to try and get the car against the kerb than stay double parked because it had stalled.

I would sincerely appreciate, given the circumstances of me being a long time resident, of my car breaking down, and as a first time offender of contravening these new restricted lines, if you could kindly see your way to making an exception and dropping this penalty notice charge.

Thank you.

Regards, "

Edited by Danny54

Even simpler I think. Engine stalled, so you rolled it back into the nearest available space to prevent obstructing the road. You left to ring a mechanic and to retrieve a pencil and paper to write a note. When you returned a few minutes later you had received a PCN.

You need to enclose a note from your mechanic confirming this and the repairs he made to you car. Defect is important - if your breakdown was due to a lack of oil, water or petrol then that would be your fault. But if it's another fault, you need to enclose evidence.

Otherwise everybody would say they'd broken down!

But keep your letter short, sweet and to the point.

Even simpler I think. Engine stalled, so you rolled it back into the nearest available space to prevent obstructing the road. You left to ring a mechanic and to retrieve a pencil and paper to write a note. When you returned a few minutes later you had received a PCN.

You need to enclose a note from your mechanic confirming this and the repairs he made to you car. Defect is important - if your breakdown was due to a lack of oil, water or petrol then that would be your fault. But if it's another fault, you need to enclose evidence.

Otherwise everybody would say they'd broken down!

But keep your letter short, sweet and to the point.

Thanks. I rang my mobile mechanic and he's happy to help me out and give me a written receipt. You're right about oil, water and fuel, that would go against me. As it happens, there actually has been an intermittent starting motor problem since he put in a new one which he was always aware of, so he's going to put down that the problem was electrical and he had to replace it. I said to him I'd meet him wherever he's working and of course I'd pay him something. Now I'm thinking, how much do I slip him, lol? I'm trying to save £50 here. A fiver? Maybe a tenner?

Here is my re-edited letter, anything need reducing still?

"I would appreciate if you could drop this penalty charge notice for reasons given below.

Please find enclosed a copy of a photograph I have printed out from google street view. I live at xxxxxxxxx, a ground floor flat I bought in 1987, and which is approximately 3 cars length from where my car was parked when a PCN was issued. I have marked comments on the photograph between my house and where I parked. I have also enclosed a confirmation note of the fault and repair from my mechanic.

I do acknowledge that double yellow lines mean no parking at any time. There was however nothing I could do to avoid it since my car engine stalled and would not restart on my approach along xxxxxxxxx just as I reached my house. All I could do was allow the car to roll back and steer it into the nearest available space to avoid obstructing the road. I locked the car, walked to my house, rang my mechanic to come asap to move it and fix it, and to retrieve pencil and paper to write a note. When I returned a few minutes later I had received a PCN.

I would sincerely appreciate, given the circumstances, if you could kindly see your way to making an exception and dropping this penalty notice charge.

Thank you.

Regards, "

Edited by Danny54