• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Amex/Newman's (again) misplaced!

Jargonbuster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I appear to have posted my sad and sorry tale here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/201942-amex-newmans-again.html

Apologies for messing up the thread system :|

If an administrator could move the thread into the Amex section, I would be most grateful.

jb

If I'd have known then what I know now I'd probably still have messed it up!

Hi,

I appear to have posted my sad and sorry tale here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/201942-amex-newmans-again.html

Apologies for messing up the thread system :|

If an administrator could move the thread into the Amex section, I would be most grateful.

jb

Hi Jargonbuster, I've asked the site team to move that one amex post from the thread above to this forum. Better if you keep the tsb & amex issues separate.

S.

Thanks Shadow,

I'll probably have an MBNA thread soon too :( - I could definitely do without all the card companies operating different policies, ringing all the time and generally being a ruddy nuisance but c'est la vie when you go broke I guess!

jb

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is reading this thread, an update:

I sent a CCA (s.77-79) request to Newman's and got a copy of the Amex 60 second application form. I sent them another letter pointing out that this was unacceptable in terms of satisfying the CCA (s.77-79) request and that they could pass it, and the fee, to Amex should they be unable to fully satisfy the legal requirements of the CCA request .

The next communication I received was from AIC (ho hum). I guess that Amex have switched collection agencies - it would have been nice to have been told so, by Amex, but that's their prerogative.

I've now written to AIC, in response to their entreaty to enter poverty by settling in full IMMEDIATELY (they do like full caps, 15 point type don't they?), pointing out the deficiency of my dealings with Newman's. I also pointed out that my CCA (s.77-79) request was outstanding (and substantially out of time), asked them to supply the details and get the fee from Newman's (encashment of the fee without satisfying the legal requirements being, inherently a breach of the act) OR pass the bloody thing back to Amex for them to do so.

I've now got to find MBNA and Lloyds TSB threads to recount my joys with them .....

jb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Smouk, I'm glad not to be relating my experiences to empty ether :)

An update, sort of:

I've heard absolutely nothing more from AIC (ditto Lloyds TSB) and they've both gone way past the time limit for satisfying the CCA (s77-79) request - bear in mind that I instructed them to pass everything back to Amex should they find it too difficult or onerous -so, it looks like letter time again.

In the absence of advice to the contrary, I intend sending AIC, Amex and Lloyds TSB letters stating that they've broken their obligations under the CCA 1974 and, as such, can no longer expect to enjoy any benefit from the Act. The contracts, if there ever were any, have been irrevocably impaired and should be considered null and void as from 30 days from the default date for reply (they've both gone past that time limit) and that, subject to no written reasons to the contrary, I now consider the matter closed.

I'll cc everything (all written communication for each principal company) to the FSA, OFT and National Debtline.

Anyone got any thoughts before I apply recorded delivery stickers to envelopes?

jb

P.s. MBNA turned out to be incredibly helpful and accommodating once they'd received a letter pointing out deficiencies with their call centre (re the total inability to call them due to their lines being permanently engaged!) and had been served a CCA (s77-79) request to wake them up.

In the absence of advice to the contrary, I intend sending AIC, Amex and Lloyds TSB letters stating that they've broken their obligations under the CCA 1974 and, as such, can no longer expect to enjoy any benefit from the Act. The contracts, if there ever were any, have been irrevocably impaired and should be considered null and void as from 30 days from the default date for reply (they've both gone past that time limit) and that, subject to no written reasons to the contrary, I now consider the matter closed.

I'll cc everything (all written communication for each principal company) to the FSA, OFT and National Debtline.

Anyone got any thoughts before I apply recorded delivery stickers to envelopes?

"null and void"? Whilst I agree with your sentiment there is a part of me wonders if that phrase might come back to haunt you if they ever get you into a courtroom. That there is a contract is beyond dispute - you have a transaction history - but what the terms of that contract might be is the subject of dispute. I can see a judge saying that whilst they cannot enforce, by equal measure, you cannot void - and then stiffing you for costs.

Hi Smouk,

I hadn't thought about that and I must admit that I didn't phrase it so well. I'm not disputing that I owe a balance to Amex (and have never done so), I'm disputing the amount they claim is due since they unilaterally cancelled the credit card arrangement and account (incorrectly and in an unlawful manner).

I'll rethink the letter format and post here when I've done so. Probably something along the lines of the previous attempt but spelling out that the "null & void" I'm referring to is any changes to the contract or balances, at that 30 day cut-off point (for LTSB) or since their cancellation date (for Amex) and that their monthly share, pro rata to total debts, of my residual income is £xxx.xx which I'll pay by standing order (or via Pay Plan) from now on.

Sorry to ramble, I've got bad sciatica today and am full of morphine - it doesn't aid concentration let alone lucidity!

I think I'll lie down in a quiet room for a while now

jb

• 2 months later...

A mini (and belated) update:

Amex sent my account to another DCA, I wrote back to inform them that,

a) I am still awaiting a reply to my CCA (s77-79) request,

b) They may claim the £1.00 fee from Newman's and expedite the request,

c) I'm actually still paying my offered monthly amount to my Amex account & Amex have not made any request that I stop doing so (if they're even aware that I'm paying them anything at all!).

I've now heard nothing from them for two months.

Lloyds TSB - after I suggested, in June, that their "independent" collection agency, being a wholly owned subsidiary, may like to read every letter I'd sent and then talk to their legal representatives (as I had already done) and explore the ramifications of ignoring requests under the CCA disclosure provisions.

They must have done so as, this weekend, I received a letter agreeing to my offered payments.

MBNA - if the outstanding debt cannot be cleared in 125 monthly payments then they pass the debt to a DCA. They then offered a reduction of 40% of the total amount if I paid now. I'm about to query the ambiguity in their interpretation of "payment", as it seems to open the door to a monthly payment plan (funnily enough, almost exactly matching the offer I'd originally made).

Barclaycard (don't ask - they acquired the Morgan Stanley high end book. Immaculate timing there guys :rolleyes:):

They insist that, unless an offer is made via PayPlan (or something similar), they cannot and will not discuss a reduced payment plan. They keep giving me 30 day extensions. As I repeatedly point out to them, until I know what Amex or MBNA are going to do I am unwilling to set up a payment scheme, through a third party, that could be completely derailed by either of them deciding to take me to court.

I'll post again when (or if) I get anything more from Amex, MBNA, Barclaycard or their little helpers.

As an aside, Smouk, I thought about the letter approach again and decided against - thought you'd be pleased to know that :)

jb

I certainly take the line that Amex can do a pretty good job of winding their own noose. Like you I find myself having to bite my tongue (often!) and then gently remind myself that Amex can only benefit from a misplaced remark or ill-conceived comment. I would keep communication to the minimum necessary to remind them that they are at fault and are deliberately avoiding their moral and legal responsibilities.

JB,

I came to an agreement with Barclaysharks without involving the third parties... basically I wrote with my offer to CEO of Barclays, I had included an I&E tho. I agreed to repay more than 1% of the debt each month as that was the minimum they were prepared to take.

still being honored at the moment....

S.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Shadow,

sorry for delay in replying.

Barclaycard seems to operate an ignore all communication unless it's via a third party (or an offer to pay now). I think that the industry, in general, operates an 125 month rule (if the debt can be cleared in 125 equal monthly payments, they'll accept it). I am unable to meet that precondition as I just don't have the income.

Updates to:

1). the Amex thread.

Got a stock letter from H&L Legal & Collections, working on behalf of AIC, threatening me with court proceedings within one week (from 15th Oct, 09), at Northampton County Court (only about 90 miles away!) unless I ring AIC or pay (amount unspecified but to include the amount outstanding, statutory interest (? 0.5%?) & additional costs - all unexplained but, the "Amount Outstanding" has various fees, penalties and other charges that are in dispute) and that there will be "no further warning".

Hmm, I think I'll ring H&L and point out that, a) they're muppets (maybe not :rolleyes:), b) there's still unresolved issues with Newmans, AIC & Amex, c) I'm disabled but will make an appearance at Northampton CC should they wish and be prepared to cover my travel costs.

Where's a UK version of the US RICO Act when you want it?

2). Lloyds TSB. Seem to have thrown in the towel and accepted my offer payments (probably couldn't find the original agreement as they've never sent it and have carefully avoided all mention of failure to comply with the CCA (s.77-79) request. Downside, it's via a paying in book with an account number that isn't recognised by other banks (7 digits rather than the standard 8) so I can't pay by standing order. I'll try and call them to find out why they seem to be trying it more difficult to pay them than before?

3). Barclaycard. A new letter (plus the 4 hourly telephone/mobile/data transfer sendings), in which they seem to have noticed that I'm not paying their monthly bill in full (they're adding roughly £200 p.m. in interest alone!). I'll send them a copy of the original letter from April this year plus a cover asking why they think that the guidelines for distressed borrowers don't apply to them.

4). Nothing yet from MBNA. Awaiting expiry of their "wait period" before they sell the debt on. Their offer of 40% off applied to a single, full and final payment which I cannot afford - rats!

That's it for now - due back to hospital to resume tests soon so I may become even more erratic in posting than heretofore

jb

Northampton County Court (only about 90 miles away!) unless I ring AIC or pay (amount unspecified but to include the amount outstanding, statutory interest (? 0.5%?) & additional costs - all unexplained but, the "Amount Outstanding" has various fees, penalties and other charges that are in dispute) and that there will be "no further warning".

Hi JB, good to see you back....

The Northampton court is a bulk clearing centre, claims go through it but they get transferred the the defendants local court as soon as they defend. Its just a way to issue claims online and process them quickly.

S.

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for the info and welcome back.

I've talked to H&L - they've given up and sent the file back to Amex. They suggest that I push everything through National Debtline and get them to send my original offer through one of their Debt Admin companies (PayPlan etc.) and seem pretty sure that Amex will accept. Barclaycard have said much the same so that's my next move. At least I now feel that I can progress down that route without someone scuppering the whole lot by taking me to court.

I have to say that I feel a sense of relief that, after 6 months of fighting, things look as if they can be resolved without litigation :)

I'll then have to keep visiting here to see if I can help anyone else - even if it's just to give a message of support (something that I appreciated greatly and cannot thank people enough for).

jb