Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I'm really stressed out!

My parents phoned me this evening to say that they had a bailiff on their doorstep yesterday trying to enforce some debt from back in 2002 when I lived at an address in Liverpool.

My parents said that I had not lived at their address since 1999and refused to give him my forwarding address.

Mum gave me the bailiffs number to call and so I did.


He said that the debt was with regard to unpaid council tax from 2002, and that he was not from a debt collection agency, he was a High Court Bailiff. When I asked him what dates specifically it related to he didn't know, but he said that I owe a total of £1189.


I at no point admitted any liability, but asked what the terms were for repayment. He said that there were no terms - it was a payment of all of it or removal of goods. I said that this was ridiculous and that he must be able to offer some from of breakdown of payments but he said no.


I refused to give him my new address and said that I was going to try and get proof that I didn't owe it. He said that was fine but that if he found my address in the mean time he would come and repossess my stuff.


I'm terrified! I have a 2 year old son and I have no money to spare...


Can this come under the Statute Barred thing or not because its a court bailiff and ruling?


Help urgently required

Link to post
Share on other sites

government money is exempt from statute barring im being charged from 1999 and theres nothing you can do about it, just have to come to some sort of arrangement my wages are about to be arrested each month but its not as much as i was paying the dca they use, and im on less money working than benefits but still liable but thats a court ruling fortunately here in scotland bailifs dont usually come calling, this site is good, getting some great advice but my situation is alot different as other debts involved too just so long as you havent really got any assets ie car etc theres not alot they can do theres certain exemptions about what court bailifs can and cannot remove from a property

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your best bet is to contact the recovery department at your local council who should be able to give you a detailed breakdown of what you owe and when from. They are the only people that can stop the bailiff action now. You might find that it turns out to be something simple like your vacation date was incorrect or something. Dont forget that the bailiffs add loads of costs on too so thats why the balance seems so high. Good luck :0)

Link to post
Share on other sites



More details required mate.


Call the Coucnil, and report back. There are so many variables. Sounds very dodgy to me.


Get your parents to call their council and ask. Much more info required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can call til tmw and I know #I won't sleep tonight now...

Really worried.

Is it true then that council tax is exempt from Statue Barred? I tried to google it but nothing came up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

government money is exempt from statute barring im being charged from 1999 and theres nothing you can do about it,






In the first place when you call the council you need to ask two questions.


What date was the Liability Order granted.


What date did the Liability Order cover.


If you can obtain this info I can advise further.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...