• Tweets

• Last one for the night, do I send the Statue Barred letter recorded to the PO Box address on Overdales correspondence or to this address 2a, 606 Business Park, Staithgate Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, BD6 1YA for Overdales?  I found the second one on the Gov.uk company search engine. Thanks PM
    • Hi. Many thanks for your continued help. I will follow the advice and not get involved with phone calls, email only. The house was repossessed by the mortgage company Southern Pacific not Central Trust, but they did try some years earlier. They seemed to be taking it in turns at one point. I don't remember saying the debt had been sold to them or anyone else, as far as I am aware the house covered the mortgage, I have never heard from them. I just don't understand the figures or the terminology they used to explain the costs, find it baffling and far from clear.
    • Merged witness and draft defence, deleting some paragraphs.. still too long?   1. I understand that the Claimant obtained a Default Judgment against me as the Defendant on 10 November 2021. However, the claim had not been served at my current address. Therefore, I was not aware of the County Court Judgment until I received a notification that it had been entered on my credit report. 2. On learning of the County Court Judgement on 15 November 2021, I immediately contacted County Court Business Centre to find out details of the Default Judgment. It was only at this point that I discovered that Capquest Investments Limited was the Claimant and that the judgment was regarding monies owed on an alleged credit agreement. On 17 November I received a copy of the judgment from the County Court Business Centre by Email. 3. I now know that the judgment was served at an old address (xxx). However, I moved to a new address on 8 January 2021 with my tenancy at the old address ending 5 February 2021. In support of this I can provide confirmation of two (2) Council Tax bills for my current address (xx) and previous address. See [EVIDENCE A and B] 4. On 12 September 2018, the Claimant wrote to the Defendant clearly stating that following a request from the Defendant for a copy of the signed Consumer Credit Agreement with the original creditor, that one did not exist. I had no reason to believe this situation has changed to date and, the Claimant having already written to my new address reporting of default sums notice under the the Consumer Credit Act 1974 did, purposefully, use an old address to gain a Default Judgement. See [EVIDENCE C] 5. I suggest the Claimant did not make reasonable enquiries as to my current address before pursuing the court order especially considering they had good reason to believe they did not hold my current contact details. As stated in the Civil Procedure Rules CPR 6.9(3) where a Claimant has reason to believe that the address of the Defendant referred is an address at which the Defendant no longer resides or carries on business, the Claimant must take reasonable steps to ascertain the address of the Defendant’s current residence or place of business. At the time of the County Court Judgment, my credit file showed my current address so I was there to be found by a simple trace. See [EVIDENCE D]. 6. The Claimant sent a letter dated 27 October 2021 to my current address which I received on 9 November 2021. This equates to only twelve (12) working days between the Claimant filing the claim and producing this letter. I must question why the Claimant would use two different addresses in such a short space of time if there was any doubt I no longer resided at the address they had on record. See [EVIDENCE E]. 7. On the basis provided above I would suggest that the Claimant did not fulfil their duty to use the Defendant’s current address when bringing the claim. 8. Considering the above, I as the Defendant was unable to defend this claim properly. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside. 9. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 10. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have had an agreement in the past with Shop Direct Finance Company Limited but I do not recognise the account number referred to by the Claimant.  11. Paragraph 2 is noted but not admitted. The Claimant would not be aware of any alleged breach or in a position to plead such fact as an assignee as the Defendant did not enter into any agreement with the Claimant and is therefore put to strict proof to verify the alleged statement of its particulars. 12. Paragraph 3 is denied. I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served.
    • Evening dx will do, can I just ask what WHY is or have I just read it wrong?
    • So Xbox support came back to me with the expected decline of my request for the refund.  They cited the fact that the purchase occurred more than 14 days ago which goes against their refund policy.  So I've now had three refusals to refund for two different reasons.   I think I now need to show them we are serious and send them something more formal.  Would this be a letter of claim or is there anther step before that?   I've also been trying to figure out where to send any further correspondence as at present its all been done their online messaging platform, which doesn't feel formal enough...    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

What constitutes as proof that you have informed claimant of a change of address

fuzzyfuzzy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My friend is applying to get a CCJ set aside, she wasnt living at the address at the time but did return there irregularly, she received the summons and signed to admit the debt and offered to pay in installments, she returned the form with a letter that stated she had moved address and all further correspondence should be sent to new address.

They didnt amend her address and the acceptance of her offer went to her old address, by the time she had returned again it was too late and she had defaulted and so a CCJ was registered against her, she paid in full straight away but it was about 10 days outside of the 28 day period so she is stuck with the CCJ.

She is going to apply and state that she gave the new address but the judgement wasnt issued to the new address so she didnt have chance to find out if it was accepted or not etc, she has a copy of the letter she sent on her laptop and just want to clarify if this will be enough proof that they failed to update it or not.

Can anyone advise what the judge is likely to accept as proof that it was their fault and she did give them the details?

Cheers

Hi,

My friend is applying to get a CCJ set aside, she wasnt living at the address at the time but did return there irregularly, she received the summons and signed to admit the debt and offered to pay in installments, she returned the form with a letter that stated she had moved address and all further correspondence should be sent to new address.

They didnt amend her address and the acceptance of her offer went to her old address, by the time she had returned again it was too late and she had defaulted and so a CCJ was registered against her, she paid in full straight away but it was about 10 days outside of the 28 day period so she is stuck with the CCJ.

She is going to apply and state that she gave the new address but the judgement wasnt issued to the new address so she didnt have chance to find out if it was accepted or not etc, she has a copy of the letter she sent on her laptop and just want to clarify if this will be enough proof that they failed to update it or not.

Can anyone advise what the judge is likely to accept as proof that it was their fault and she did give them the details?

Cheers

I don't think that she can apply to set the judgment aside - today you have to show that you have a defence to the claim - so unless she has a defence with a reasonable prospect of success I think that she will struggle on a set aside application

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I don't think that she can apply to set the judgment aside - today you have to show that you have a defence to the claim - so unless she has a defence with a reasonable prospect of success I think that she will struggle on a set aside application

her defence is that the judgement was issued to the wrong address. She paid it in full about 10 days outside of the 28 days notice so why would she need a defence? Surely by her actions she has demonstrated she would pay and if given the chance it would have been within the 28 day notice and so would not be recorded

Anyone got any idea on what proof of sending the claimant a change of address is accepted????

her defence is that the judgement was issued to the wrong address. She paid it in full about 10 days outside of the 28 days notice so why would she need a defence? Surely by her actions she has demonstrated she would pay and if given the chance it would have been within the 28 day notice and so would not be recorded

Anyone got any idea on what proof of sending the claimant a change of address is accepted????

I'm sorry but I don't agree that the claim being sent to the wrong address is a defence to the claim.

A defence is something which says that she did not owe (either in whole or part) the debt in the first place. Your friend had admitted the debt and offered instalments.

In terms of proving that Notice of her change of address had been given - the evidence would be a witness statement from your friend exhibiting a copy of the letter and confirming that it was posted.

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I'm sorry but I don't agree that the claim being sent to the wrong address is a defence to the claim.

A defence is something which says that she did not owe (either in whole or part) the debt in the first place. Your friend had admitted the debt and offered instalments.

In terms of proving that Notice of her change of address had been given - the evidence would be a witness statement from your friend exhibiting a copy of the letter and confirming that it was posted.

Ok thanks for your reply,

another option we're thinking about is disputing the amount, there is a discrepancy over an 'optional charge' of part of the repair, its oly a small amount tho (around £2.50) will this be enough to use as a defence? The whole repair was only around £190.

Thanks