Colleague left, no replacement - pay rise for me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a marketing coordinator for a large professional body. I was in a team of three - two marketing coordinators working under a marketing manager.

My colleague, a fellow marketing coordinator, has left for bigger and better things. I have been informed that there will not be anyone else recruited to fill the position and I am highly unlikely to get a pay rise despite having an increased workload and therefore increased responsibility. In order to avoid giving me a pay rise, my line manager argues that she will take on some of the work and she will try to reduce my workload. She also argues that the extra work is not extra responsibility!? My line manager is already snowed under with work and it is highly unlikely that we can recruit a temp. How should I approach this?

I really need the extra cash as I am already struggling to make ends meet and I'm already being under paid by about £4,000 PA.

I am a marketing coordinator for a large professional body. I was in a team of three - two marketing coordinators working under a marketing manager.

My colleague, a fellow marketing coordinator, has left for bigger and better things. I have been informed that there will not be anyone else recruited to fill the position and I am highly unlikely to get a pay rise despite having an increased workload and therefore increased responsibility. In order to avoid giving me a pay rise, my line manager argues that she will take on some of the work and she will try to reduce my workload. She also argues that the extra work is not extra responsibility!? My line manager is already snowed under with work and it is highly unlikely that we can recruit a temp. How should I approach this?

I really need the extra cash as I am already struggling to make ends meet and I'm already being under paid by about £4,000 PA.

I would imagine this is quite a common situation, I doubt realistically there is much you can do about it.

When it comes to appraisal time you could point out that your work load has increased or simplest solution is to go get another job.

If you are so underpaid I would assume you would be looking anyway.

Andy

How should I approach this?

Without sounding flipant, like a game of Poker.

There is nothing in law that says that you must automatically receive a pay rise because your colleague has left, and consequently your workload has increased.

Thus, this is purely a contractual issue.

How much do they need you?

How much can you bluff them that you will leave if you don't get 'x'?

The only legal issue, is if your job has changed so dramatically because of the increased work as to make them in breach of contract, but I wouldn't even bother with this route for now.

Negotiation, is the answer for now.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]