Shoplifting in Tescos - Worried about RLP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I wonder if you can offer me some advice. I was recently caught shoplifting in my local Tescos store which seeing as I am a 37 year old father of two, I am very embarrased and disgusted about.

I'm in full time employment but in a lot of debt (courtesy of an ex girlfriend from years back) and for some reason decided to try and hide some items in my coat - worth around 15 pound.

They stopped me as I left the shop and once in the holding room they called the police despite my attempts to stop them. They were actually (for tescos staff) very intimidating. The police turned up and I admitted all and got a 80 fixed penalty. The police officers could see how upset I was and were actually very understanding of my situation.

As they left they warned me I was likely to get a 12 month ban and a civil recovery action. As I'm not in the best financial position I asked them how much this was likely to be and they 'estimated' about 150 quid but said that was just a guess based on previous dealings with them.

OK so the police leave and I'm now resigned to the fact that I will have a hefty bill along with the indignity of the whole thing, but I've learned my lesson.

The serurity supervisor takes it from here, overhearing all this (And beleive me this guy was a nasty man), and tells me that the bill will be far more than that as they had me 'acting suspiciously' on CCTV on several previous occasions and he told me that I was a 'serial shoplifter'. They even had a note of my car number plate !.

There is no point me lieing to you and I hold my hand on my heart when I say this is the first time I had ever done this. This is (was - as I'm now banned) my local store and I would usually pop in on my way home from work every few days.

I told the guy he has no evidence as I know he could not possibly have any, but he said items had gone missing from thestore when I had been there and that was all he needed. This is a BIG Tescos store..

A minor concen is how long does it take for the letter to come through as I'm dreading my family finding out, but more importantly that I will be hit with a much large bill based on what was said to me. I really don't wan't to go to court as I'm trying to keep this away from my family.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Hi, whilst I don't condone theft of any kind, I am sure that the guy was trying to frighten you, successfully it would seem. If you did not steal previously, then he cannot prove that you did, and he would have to have cctv evidence that you selected and concealed goods, and that you left the store without paying. He would also have to be able to identify exactly what the goods were, and the prices. If he was not able to specify items he says you took previously, the he was just BS ing you.

I think you have enough to worry about without that, also he is not allowed to discuss RLP's charges with you, or try to estimate them. I expect you will hear from RLP in about a week or so, maybe you could make them an offer, but much lower than they ask for.

Hi Dogma

I feel very sorry for your situation, I suspect a momentary indiscretion based on personal circumstances in a wider recession. Unfortunately the very desperation that is causing people to do silly things is making it all the more lucrative for the shops who use RLP.

I would suggest that RLP can be very quick at sending out their fines, sometimes within a few days or if they are likely to be building a larger case against you then I think they have up to 3 years to bring about civil action. There are good people on this site who can advise you and direct you to the right bodies for help. I suggest when you receive the letter that you keep the forum posted and with particular attention to the wording of it to see if it is the same as the standardized letters that everyone has received on here to date. Then see if you can contact your local Trading Standards for advice and a civil law solicitor (you might qualify for Legal Aid so it is worth looking into).

so,if you had never done this before,why do you think they would have a note of your registrartion number,considering all the thousands of other people who have never stolen,why should they have your reg?

• 1 month later...

Hi Shanty,

Thinking back I don't think they had my vehicle reg before the incident. They asked me if it was xxxxxx after I had been in the room some time so I'm assuming they must have played back the tape of me coming into the store to identify it in case I did a runner.

Its been about two months now and I still haven't received the letter. I know most of you will not have a lot of sympathy for a 'shoplifter' and I understand that, but this is absolutely killing me as I'm having to get to the post first every morning, and if it arrives after I have left for work I'm stressing all day in case my wife or son have received and opened it. My relationship is not in the best of places right now so this could be the final straw.

Anyway, thanks for your advice so far. I will keep you updated.

Hi

I totally sympathize with what you are going through - sometimes it is better to know what you have to face than be stuck in some type of limbo imagining all sorts of things.

RLP seem to be worrying quiet on here at the moment and this is not necessarily a good thing. They have applied for a Credit Licence (if you look at the other posts) and perhaps have put cases on a "back-burner" until they are increasingly sure of their stance. But I am not an expert - it is only my opinion.

unfortunately, the letters have "Retail Loss Prevention" stamped on the envelope for all to see so I wonder if you might feel brave enough to discuss it with your partner. She might be more understanding than you expect?

2nd point regarding your car.

I think that Tesco use a security camera which records cars entering the car park for purpose of registrations with regard to parking durations and charges. Our local Tesco does this and has signs up as you enter the car park informing you of the system and 3 hours free parking limitations.

Perhaps that is how?

Dogma don't pay any attention to the holier than thow's on this forum........ I very much doubt they had your veh. reg before your visit nor do I think they have any CCTV of you acting 'suspiciously' previously. You have to understand that some of these security twerps like to bully & deceive anyone these dirtbags perceive as beneath them & by making the claims he did makes him sound important when in fact they are nobodies trying to act like somebody

I have PM'd you

well said

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

And I think you ought to be honest and tell your partner, otherwise you are going to give yourself an ulcer at the very least with worry. I know you say the relationship is a bit iffy at the moment, but imagine how much worse it will be if the missus does open that letter.

Not easy I know, but once its out, you won't have to worry about her opening a letter. And anyway, she is your partner and should be prepared to support you.

Whats done is done and all we can do is move on - everyone makes mistakes sometimes, for many reasons - don't beat yourself up over it.

Fingers crossed everything will sort itself out and you can out this behind you.

Yes Dogma tell your partner before she finds out. She will find out eventually. If she is the sort of person not to support you then best to break the relationship.

When you get a letter from RLP report back.

I imagine you have paid the £80 police fine.

The RLP fine is based on "their costs" and there are precedents quoted on this forum.

Hi Dogma

You really have to tell your partner, no matter how difficult it feels at the time im sure she will be a lot more understanding than you imagine. Yep easy for me to say, but I was once with my 15 year old daughter xmas shopping and as we left boots we were asked to step into the office. At the time I really thought I would never live the humiliation and embarrasment down but because she was a minor she got away with police caution as first offence (she was never able to tell us why she did it) was just a mascara and I worried for about 24 hours whether to tell my husband and in the end I did and he was really understanding with her and the subject was closed. We have never discussed it to this day, my point is you will feel so much relief to get it of your chest.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

TC

Ang

Hi Shanty,

Thinking back I don't think they had my vehicle reg before the incident. They asked me if it was xxxxxx after I had been in the room some time so I'm assuming they must have played back the tape of me coming into the store to identify it in case I did a runner.

Its been about two months now and I still haven't received the letter. I know most of you will not have a lot of sympathy for a 'shoplifter' and I understand that, but this is absolutely killing me as I'm having to get to the post first every morning, and if it arrives after I have left for work I'm stressing all day in case my wife or son have received and opened it. My relationship is not in the best of places right now so this could be the final straw.

Anyway, thanks for your advice so far. I will keep you updated.

I don't think they had your reg at all either.

• 9 months later...

Dear All,

Thankyou again for your comments. Its now been about a year since this happened and I've still received nothing. Although I understand they have three years to take action so I could still find a letter one day, I'm hoping this is the end to it and feel a bit better about things.

I have been to a debt advisor regarding my financial issues and have a payment plan in place so am slowly paying off the debts I had - Its going to take about ten years but I'm working hard and am on the right road.

I have never stolen anything since - In fact I found a purse whilst walking my dog just before Christmas with over three hundred pound in it and managed to track the owner and returned it to them in full on Christmas Eve - Hopefully my karma has levelled now.

Oh and I thought I would miss my local Tescos store as I did all my shopping there, but I've switched to a Sainsburys who are now getting all my business - your loss Tescos.

Thanks again to you all for taking time to help myself and others. With the greatest respect I hope I don't have to post another update on here again. Fingers crossed for case closed.

D.

unfortunately, the letters have "Retail Loss Prevention" stamped on the envelope for all to see so I wonder if you might feel brave enough to discuss it with your partner. She might be more understanding than you expect?

Actually, although it is on the envelope, it is not huge and it just has RLP. It just looks like part of the post mark. I was told the envelope would be unmarked so that is another lie on their part.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LOLO,

Sorry to hear that - Its been an extremely stressful experiance if I'm being honest - Dealing with the Police was nothing in comparison to the weight this puts on your shoulders.

Its been just over a year now and I've seen no letter as yet so I am sincerely hoping thats the end of it, however I do appreciate that they could still send one to me at any time. The goods I stole were worth less than £20.00 and although I have learnt a valuable lesson I really do feel that this is in essence, bullying. That amount of money is nothing to Tescos but RLP appear to be the parasites that try and make money from this.

I beleive letters are normally sent out about two weeks after the event, but I have heard of them being received years later.

As long as you have also learnt a lesson from this experiance I do sincerely wish you the best of luck. There are lots of kind people on this forum that may be able to help you if you do receive a letter.

• 6 months later...

Ah the black/white world according to Hammy. You know, I didn't have to come on here and say what I said. I am not proud of what I did. You don't know all of the circumstances and I am not going to state them on here. I guess you have never told a lie or done anything dishonest, when you have felt your back has been up against the wall, have you? Never felt you had to tell a lie or do anything dishonest?

And I have good reason to believe the girl on the tills DID take the tenner.

Anyway, needless to say, I will not ever do anything like that again, it's not worth it. The point I was trying to make was that many times, people do not steal because they are just being greedy and selfish. People are human, make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them.

I hope you don't fall down off your high horse as it would be quite a fall.

I have unapproved Hammy's sanctimonious post.

Hammy, please remember that the purpose of CAG is to help people - not to judge them. People need to be able to say what has happened openly, and not feel that they will be exposed to ridicule or holier-than-thou attitudes. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks