In Debt on carer's allowance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, could anyone please give me some general advice? Basically I am in debt by around £8000. I am a carer for both my husband and my mum and have been for some time now. I have a son who is in full time education aged 21, he will be going on from a 3 year college course to a 3 year uni course in september. I spend 90% of my time at my mum's home where she and my husband live and I care for them there. Our son lives in our housing association property and whilst he does work part time I meet most expenses such as bills because after giving what he can there is still a lot to fork out for. Each week I spend more than I have coming in (carers allowance and a bit of income support) And have been paying my debts off at a pound a month for between 1 and 5 years. I owe to 3 store cards, a loan from northern rock i defaulted on around 3 years ago and a catalogue. Whilst i am really grateful to be able to pay these debts off slowly i can see no end to it as my husband's illness is a mental one and long term and my mum although recovered from a serious illness is very frail and will need my help for good. Is there any chance I can get these debts written off? They weigh very heavily and whilst I realise I'm fortunate they're under control I get depressed about them a great deal. Any advice positive or negative would really be appreciated. Very many thanks, fizzylemons:)

If you can afford it I would CCA everyone you own money too to check they are entitled to claim it by way of a proper agreement. Being catalogues there is a chance they may not have an agreement worth diddly squat. If your creditors do not have the correct paper work to chase payments then this puts you in a better position to either challenge the amounts owing or to offer a very reduced full and final settlement to get rid of once and for all. Also if there are charges etc on the accounts you can reclaim these and reduce the balance further.

The CCA letter is in the letter templates sections and will cost £1. Just remember to not sign the letters with your usual signature. They have a period of 12 days from receipt to get the agreement to you after this time the account is in dispute until they do provide an agreement and you can withold your payment (even if it is only £1) better in your pocket than theirs. Hope this helps.

It may be worth looking into doing a DMP or IVA. This way you would have someone acting on your behalf, and taking the pressure away from you. You can repay your creditors at the same time.

Try CCCS or Payplan as these are free. xx

Thankyou very much both of you for finding the time to reply. I have been told there maybe a possibility I can start a DRO due to my situation and that the only criteria I don't meet is that of the car one. Apparently your car must be worth £1000 or less and mine is worth more so I'm going to sell it, buy another one worth that amount, pay my mum the rest as I owe it to her and then apply. Can anyone advise if they see a problem with any of that or have any general advice please? Thanks xxx