I want to become a solicitor

MRS_P
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am a housewife with 2 children aged 4 and 1 and have alot of spare time on my hands and was looking for a career change (qualified nurse at mo).

What's the best possible route to take, I can only commit to part time study and would not be able to travel too frequently to attend courses etc.

Can I do this via distant learning?

Was hoping to have some views from fellow forum members who may have gone down the Ilex route, what does it entail and are there any example exam papers I could look at. I did law at GCSE and at A level and have always had an interest, was mainly in criminal law but after discovering this site I'm leaning towards civil law.

Not many caggers have any legal training, but there's info here for ilex, although I guess you may have seen it.

Study

You might see if Learn Direct have any alternative suggestions.

learndirect - Distance Learning, Online Courses, Computer Courses and Adult Courses, Career Advice, UK

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

why don't you see if the open University offers any law courses.

Contact your local university and see what they have to offer in the way of evening courses. Normally speaking you would either have to do two evenings a week or three evenings a week depending on how long you want to the course to take.

You need to really be aware that studying in this way -- and especially distance learning can be a real slog and requires a very consistent and high level of will power

Thanks guys, your comments are noted. I have browsed several sites and also checked the Ilex site but never enquired with learn direct. Will call then in the morning.

Mrs_P

As a current student with the Open University I would highly recommend their courses. I can't comment on their law courses as I study IT at present.

Also, if you shop at Tesco you can swap clubcard vouchers for 4 X the face value at the OU which will save you some money.

They are well respected academicly by employers (something you should consider if you intend to become a solicitor - as I've been advised a lot of firms do tend to take this into consideration).

Hope this helps.

Hi Mrs P,

There are three routes to qualifying as a solicitor:

1.Traditional law degree route

2.Non law graduate route

3.ILEX route

Law degree route requires a law degree followed by a one year course(two years part-time) the Legal Practice Course and then a two year training contract. At the end of the training contract you have to do the Professional Skills Course which is three weeks and pass the exam.

Non law degree graduate route you can do any degree followed by the Legal Diploma formally known as the CPE which is one year full time or two years part time. Followed by the Legal Practice Course and training contract and PSC as above.

The ILEX route requires you to do level 3 course and pass exams. This is one year full time or two years part-time. Followed by the Level 6 course/exam which again is one year full time and to years part time. You need to have five years experience working in a solicitors office. This can be combined with the study. It is common for most to work and do the course part-time to get in the required work experience. Once this is achieved you become a FILEX (Fellow of ILEX). This is a qualification in itself and you will be able to do much the same work as solicitors. If you wish to progress further you can do the LPC and training contract to qualify as a solicitor.

To get onto do a degree generally you need to demonstrate evidence of recent study. Entry requirements to Universities are generally lower for mature students particularly if you have other qualifications. Perhaps do an A level law evening class or an ACCESS course.

ACCESS courses are designed for adult returners to education and are particularly good at catering for students with families. Most colleges will offer creche facilities although these may be limited so it is a good idea to get your place early. Distance learning can be quite isolating and you lack the support of peer group and lecturer support. You also need very high levels of motivation and self discipline. There is a high drop out level of distance learning and you miss out on an important and enjoyable factor in learning in being able to take part in discussions and debates. It is sometimes comforting to go through the experience with other students and to have some adult company.

Best of luck

Zoot

Hi Mrs P,

There are three routes to qualifying as a solicitor:

1.Traditional law degree route

2.Non law graduate route

3.ILEX route

Law degree route requires a law degree followed by a one year course(two years part-time) the Legal Practice Course and then a two year training contract. At the end of the training contract you have to do the Professional Skills Course which is three weeks and pass the exam.

Non law degree graduate route you can do any degree followed by the Legal Diploma formally known as the CPE which is one year full time or two years part time. Followed by the Legal Practice Course and training contract and PSC as above.

The ILEX route requires you to do level 3 course and pass exams. This is one year full time or two years part-time. Followed by the Level 6 course/exam which again is one year full time and to years part time. You need to have five years experience working in a solicitors office. This can be combined with the study. It is common for most to work and do the course part-time to get in the required work experience. Once this is achieved you become a FILEX (Fellow of ILEX). This is a qualification in itself and you will be able to do much the same work as solicitors. If you wish to progress further you can do the LPC and training contract to qualify as a solicitor.

To get onto do a degree generally you need to demonstrate evidence of recent study. Entry requirements to Universities are generally lower for mature students particularly if you have other qualifications. Perhaps do an A level law evening class or an ACCESS course.

ACCESS courses are designed for adult returners to education and are particularly good at catering for students with families. Most colleges will offer creche facilities although these may be limited so it is a good idea to get your place early. Distance learning can be quite isolating and you lack the support of peer group and lecturer support. You also need very high levels of motivation and self discipline. There is a high drop out level of distance learning and you miss out on an important and enjoyable factor in learning in being able to take part in discussions and debates. It is sometimes comforting to go through the experience with other students and to have some adult company.

Best of luck

Zoot

Hello Zoot, I hope your well, im glad to see your still around on here:)

In respect of Distance learning, my degree was through the OU (open university) and they were excellent, the support is there if you need it, the materials are excellent and you can obtain financial support tooo so the costs are covered by the OU

Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University

have a look at their prospectus, give them a ring they are really helpful and will point you in the right direction

regards

paul

are there not stringent rules on becoming a solicitor

not being a bankrupt or having a criminal record for instance

could be wrong though

am i correct in my statement pt

being of good character and all that

there are requirements on admission that you are a fit and proper person etc,

it depends on what you want to do, ILEX is the easiest route id say, the BAR is the hardest if im honest, as it is sooo difficult to get in as a barrister,