DCA recommendations

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The problem is I am having difficulty getting hold of the guy who owes me the money.

He would neither speak to or meet me.

I am not even sure where he lives... though he has given me an address.

So, you think hiring a debt collection agency is a waste of time?

Do you suggest me to go through a County Court route?

Debt in question is over £5000, but under £10000, if that means anything.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The problem is I am having difficulty getting hold of the guy who owes me the money.

He would neither speak to or meet me.

I am not even sure where he lives... though he has given me an address.

So, you think hiring a debt collection agency is a waste of time?

Do you suggest me to go through a County Court route?

Debt in question is over £5000, but under £10000, if that means anything.

Thanks

You'll need to know his address or an address for contacting him to have the court papers served on him.

Apologies for the initial reply, thought it was a troll taking the mick, this forum is normally for people with problems dealing with DCA's not trying to employ them.

S.

No offense taken.

This is a genuine query.

He is (was) a motor trader who has sold a vehicle for me but not paying me the proceeds.

He has (had?) a premise where he was conducting his trade from but not sure if it still exists.

He has also given me his home address but I'm not sure if it's regit.

That's why I thought may be getting a debt collection agency that have the searching capabilities would be better...

If I were to pursue the court route, could you point me to the right places to look up where I can get advice and point me to any potential pit-falls?

Thanks

No offense taken.

This is a genuine query.

He is (was) a motor trader who has sold a vehicle for me but not paying me the proceeds.

He has (had?) a premise where he was conducting his trade from but not sure if it still exists.

He has also given me his home address but I'm not sure if it's regit.

That's why I thought may be getting a debt collection agency that have the searching capabilities would be better...

If I were to pursue the court route, could you point me to the right places to look up where I can get advice and point me to any potential pit-falls?

Thanks

Ok first problem is as its over 5k its more than the normal small claims court so costs could be an issue if you lose.

Is there a written contract at all? If you know his suspected home address, it could be worth making sure he does actually stay/live there.

As this is a single debt I have no doubt if you contact a DCA they will charge approx 10%-25% of the debt to reclaim it. Might be worth asking a solicitor to draft a final demand to the person (will cost approx £50-75 I believe)

All my own opinions as ever.

S.

Is the court fee quite expensive?

I do have a written letter confirming that he owes me the money, if that's any use?

How do I go about checking that he does in fact reside at the address, apart from the obvious?

I have contacted a few debt collection agency and quoted me,

1. £75 initial admin charge, plus 10~15% of collected debt

2. £250 initial charge, 10% on recovered amount

3. £750 up front, 12% on recovered amount

As you can see, they vary a lot and I have no idea which is better.

Do they take a big upfront and do nothing...?

Do you know of any reputable agency?

Thanks

London House

Jack Russell

Direct Collections

I guess if I were pursued by a debt collection agency, they would all be bad...

but I want them on my side.

I see quite a lot of posting of 1st Credit, Connaught Collections...

I'm guessing they must be good?

They are one of the worst ones out there, biggest bunch of *EDIT* on the planet and would probably rip you off too.

Edited by 42man
libel..

London House

Jack Russell

Direct Collections

I guess if I were pursued by a debt collection agency, they would all be bad...

but I want them on my side.

I see quite a lot of posting of 1st Credit, Connaught Collections...

I'm guessing they must be good?

That would be the same 1st crudit that the OFT have taken action against then :-D

I think you are asking the wrong people to advise on which DCA to use :-( This forum is filled with people who have had bad experiences with said DCA's.

S.

They are one of the worst ones out there, biggest bunch of *EDIT* on the planet and would probably rip you off too.

42man

Thanks for the edit, bit of a whoopsy on my part - get a bit :-x when it comes to that lot:D

OK.

I understand that I am in the wrong place to ask for advice.

Thanks for the people who have given me their opinion and advice any way.

Anyone know of a good place to ask this question without getting flamed?

If the debtor is a trader, even someone pretending to be a trader, then my first port of call would be trading standards to seek their help.

I would also see a solicitor and forget about employing a debt collector.

OK.

I understand that I am in the wrong place to ask for advice.

Thanks for the people who have given me their opinion and advice any way.

Anyone know of a good place to ask this question without getting flamed?

Being serious I would consider a solicitors letter or even a strongly worded LBA prior to a DCA.

If you still want to use a DCA, then the csa have a website with a list of members

S.

actually, if a creditor is seeking the most aggressive, assertive and thuggish DCA out there to work for them, is this not the place to look?

That said, I think creditors should note that this is not the way to get paid. If 'assertiveness' is needed then that is the job of the court.

I would counsell against paying anyone upfront and consider the likely effect of on your reputation, or any court procedings (which sound likely) of the conduct of your chosen partner.

In your circumstances I think you need to use a solicitor or go solo. Court procedings to recover a debt are not too scary providing you have all your ducks in a row and can prove your points/arguments. There are alot of folk who have been ripped off by fly-by-night fake debt collectors. Wouldn't do it myself.

If you have trouble finding the chap to serve on him, then use a trace agency to find him. A decent solicitor will be able to recommend someone local and effective - you want someone to do it properly and not rely on automated searches and databases. Databases are great, but you need someone to actually use it, not just accept what gets punted out.