style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya everyone just a quick bit of advice needed. My daughters boyfriend is 18 in july and at the moment he is working at a garage supposedly doing the last year of an apprenticeship. He works mon-fri 8.30 to 5.30 and sat morning. They treat him really horrible and he basically is there slave. He never seems to have any money bless him and now I know why....he just showed me his wage slip and he gets £433.00 per month, he pays no tax or insurance. Does anyone know if his wages should be more? He has heard from one of the lads that when he gets back of his holiday in july they are going to finish him...I think this will be because he will then be 18. Any advice would be great thanks, Debbie.

When you say saturday mornings, how many hours? Also, how long does he get for lunch?

Based on a 40hr week (8:30 - 5:30 with 1 hr lunch and not taking into account Sat), he is being paid £2.50 an hr... If the min wage applied, he should be getting £3.53 HOWEVER (from HM Revenue & Customs:National Minimum Wage),

Apprentices

From pay reference periods starting on or after 1 October 2006 the special rules for apprentices will be extended to apprentices aged over 25. This will mean that:

• Apprentices under age 19 will not qualify for the national minimum wage
  • Apprentices over age 19 and in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship will not qualify for the national minimum wage.

I believe there is a minimum of £80 per week for aprentices, and he is getting about £100.

Is it legal? it seems so, is it fair? it doesn't look like it...

Hope this helps,

H

I am not a lawyer - I'm an Engineer with an interest in law. Advice is given with out prejudice and is my opinion on the information I have been provided with based on my experience, understanding and interpritation of law. If you are in any doubt please seek the advice of a qualified and insured legal professional.

Victories:

Abbey (OH) - £680 ..... Barclaycard (OH) - £2200 ..... MBNA (OH) - £1800 ..... Shop Direct (OH) - £220

Brunell Franklin (a.k.a. Conkers) - Out of "contract" & no charge

:D

In Progress:

MBNA (OH) - PPI & bad default with premature termination

Capital One (OH) - ~£800 Penalty Charges

Suzuki Finance/Blackhorse (OH) - Commission, Unlawful removal, PPI, Charges

A Lightbulb Shop - "loss of bargain"

If i've helped, please feel free to hit the star ;)

Thanks for the reply, he works 4 and a half hours on a saturday morning and he gets and hour for lunch. The other 3 guys that work there all part own the company and they all take turns to have fridays off because they work saturdays aswel, my daughters boyfriend only gets sundays off. Thanks for your help, and yes it is unfair.