style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Received a "pre-enforcement" letter from bailiffs for an old OS council tax. Was paying the council directly but had to stop for a while because my wifes working hours had been reduced by 50%. Wrote to the bailiffs and offered to pay the full amount claimed (including I presume statutory charges) in 6 equal installments. Received a letter back saying I must pay in 3 installments which I quite simply cannot. Can I stand fast with the offer I made which I can afford?

It seems to me, whatever you initially offer, regardless of how high or how low the amount is, they will refuse and insist on double the amount and/or half the installments.

They have a very finite period of time to collect the debt, this is specified by the persons obtaining their services eg. the council. This period is normally 3 or 6 months, my bet in your case it is 3 months.

As long as they haven't been to your home, certainly have no walking possession or otherwise, I would suggest that you try (in writing/email)to get the council to take back the debt, explain that the bailiffs are being unreasonable in refusing your offer of repayment

has the bailiff added charges on for this pre-enforcement letter

check your charges find out how much the council asked the bailiff to collect

bailiffs cannot charge for letters posted they can only charge for visits

1st visit £24.50 2nd visit £18

if you have had had a bailiffs visit they will leave you a hand delivered letter