Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4195 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All, I hope someone can give me some advice on this. My partner and I are completely financially independent - we live together but the mortgage is in his name, he earns way more than me and is solvent - his credit file is fine and he has credit cards etc. My credit file is a complete mess for a number of reasons, and will be for some time till CCJs etc are paid off or fall past the six year limit. We both have a Notice of Disassociation with each other on our credit files so he can't be messed up by my past.

However, we're getting married next year. I don't intend to change my surname (his is boring and mine is unusual so I want to keep mine) and we won't have a joint account or anything, but will the fact that we're married mess up his credit file by being associated with me? I'm really worried.

From what I have read it seems that so long as you dont have any joint bank or credit card accounts your credit files will be totally seperate and your bad credit wont affect his good rating.

• 2 weeks later...

That's true,

As long as you do not apply for any joint accounts, credit cards or loans you will not be associated with him.

Even if you took his name, there is still no financial association so when a lender searches his file using opt-in (includes financial associates) you will not be included on this search and only his info will be brought back.