• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Why let your bank keep your money? Calculating your charges claim

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

AA99, and anyone else - please hang fire!

I have just removed the spreadie, and am currently altering it.

I was struggling with the formulas recalulating when everyone inserts lines, as they will need to, to accommodate the varying amounts of charges each month, and I just couldn't get my head round it.

Now I think I have cracked it, so I will repost in a bit.

You can all blame it on me being blonde, but my excuse is the streaming cold I am battling with - and no, I haven't kissed any pigs lately.:rolleyes:

I'll be back.......

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, sorted now. A simple solution to something that has bugged me for 3 days.:(

So now the formula exists in every cell in Column B - except the very first, as it is assumed that you had to incur charges to be charged interest on those charges.

This means it doesn't matter where your interest charge falls on the spreadie, as long as you use Column H for the actual figure, the calculation will automatically occur. Hopefully that should remove the need for inserting/removing rows, and generally make life easier.

I could kick myself for being so dumb, and apologies if you copied the original version.

I am not saying it is perfect btw, so I still need feedback please.

Draft Int Calc2.xls

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Ah cool, don't worry, well done, take it easy, I just keep saving over the last one! Just let us know when you're done;) Now pour a tot of scotch into a Lemsip and have an instant hot toddy and tomorrow's another day:D

Removed post

Edited by sunflower99

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Calculation of interest is fairly easy. Just look at the statement and it shows charges, returned items, unauthorised borrowing, hardcore, etc,add this up and put it in the Excel box for the month, then in the next column, add interest (8% over base rate) Late payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998, add it month by month and put the bill in

Would you care to elaborate please? I have just read the Act that you refer to, and I cannot see how it is applicable to bank accounts.

Also, I see no mention of 8% above base rate, or any actual rate quoted, so I am very curious as to where you got this info.

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Would you care to elaborate please? I have just read the Act that you refer to, and I cannot see how it is applicable to bank accounts.

Also, I see no mention of 8% above base rate, or any actual rate quoted, so I am very curious as to where you got this info.

Beat me to it, I was curious about that too.

Although, at present the difference is not significant, presumably, if this is correct then the rate should track although this would be a nightmare to calculate retrospectively.

I retain a debt collector who collect debts for me. And to comfirm they add interest along with this Act. Please note also that Lloyds are now writing their charges as "invoices" and so I will write my demands as an invoice. I know they won't pay up readily so it is something I can pass onto that debt collector who will use this Act for purposes of interest. They tell me 25% of their business is to collect from banks.

Have a look here, relevant part lifted below:

'2 Contracts to which Act applies

(1) This Act applies to a contract for the supply of goods or services where the purchaser and the supplier are each acting in the course of a business, other than an excepted contract.'

If the charges relating to a business claim then you may have some prospect of arguing the LPCDA applies, but if you have a business claim then you have more fundamental difficulties than this with the principle sum.

Anyway this is all going very off topic.

Edited by GuidoT

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

I wonder if you could clarify a couple of points for me before I embark on my second claim against my bank. I originally claimed £2964 in charges in 2006. I also claimed the 8% another £237.12. The claim was not paid for another 3 months so I suppose I could have added the 8% for the months it was in court? I want to claim the interest that Bankfodder has told us about and I was in the process of reclaiming another £600 in charges for 2006-2009. Now I know I cannot claim the 8% again or the charges again for my first claim but I assume I can claim the interest on the overdraft for 2000-2009. I am worried that I will do this correctly and dont want to make a pigs ear of it. The final thing I wanted to ask is I have a few missing statements for the early years if I sent the bank the SAR would I be able to amend my claim accordingly? I wanted to get it done quickly before the June deadline. Any help much appreciated.

Okay, yes you can claim the interest charged on the charges that you have already claimed for, and the subsequent charges + interest.

SAR requests have a statutory 40 day time limit, so you will not receive the info before the HoL judgement, but it is not set in stone that their judgement will be the end of the matter.

I would say that you need to get onto this asap, but do not be put off by the HoL date, as I really don't think any major judgement will be handed down then.

Sorry have to go, but I will be back tomorrow x

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

When you are claiming back charges and interest from a bank I always assumed that whilst the account was in dispute that the bank could not issue proceedings against you but I have just read on another thread that they can? Any views.

Bankfodder, and all.

I agree wholeheartedly that you should also make claim for the additional interest the bank has applied/deprived you of due to the charges.

By also accounting for such interest, you often quite quickly reach a point whereby you can actually see that any subsequent "overdraft excess" or "limit breach" that then later gave rise to charges arose solely due to accumulated earlier charges and the interest upon such.

I would even suggest considering going even further.

Many people are also forced at some point to take consolidation loans with their banks in order to repay "borrowing".

.... borrowing that is often solely or mostly originally made up of charges and interest upon such !!

The calculations are admittedly a bit more involved and difficult to determine, but for anyone who makes the effort the results can be quite an eye opener !!

The chain of events would go something like this:

1/ You incur bank charges.

2/ The bank applies/deprives you of account interest as a result.

3/ The bank then puts you under pressure to take out a consolidation loan, to repay your existing borrowing .... but we contend that this existing borrowing consisted either solely or largely of charges and interest upon your original account.

4/ The consolidation loan then incurs yet more interest.

5/ ALSO...the account you make the loan installments from, then incurs/ is deprived of further interest due to making the monthly loan repayments.

6/ As a result, the account that the installments are made from then goes overdrawn..... often due largely to the loan installments... thus incurring even more charges, and interest.

........ and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I am currently working on modifying some of Mindzais sheets to try and create a set of (preferably a single) spreadsheets that would more easily allow the calculation of such a chain of events.

I am no mathematician or accountant though, and work on such is slow, so if anyone else more competent is interested in helping me then post up here or get in touch?

Such spreadsheets are currently being worked on in "Open Office", which is free to download software from the web, meaning that you wouldn't need to buy any software to use them, and also means they can be universally used on either PC or Mac.

PM

Similar to this ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/71441-loans.html

When you are claiming back charges and interest from a bank I always assumed that whilst the account was in dispute that the bank could not issue proceedings against you but I have just read on another thread that they can? Any views.

Did you read that they CAN, or that they have done?

The answer is NO, they cannot, but that doesn't stop them trying.:-x

In fact I was discussing this issue with BankFodder very recently, and he is vociferous in his opinion of this practice. On the subject of claims that have been stayed by the Court due to the Test Case, BF's view is that by pursuing/continuing enforcement action the banks are undermining the judicial process. I couldn't agree more, and I am taking my bank to task on this basis.

The banks seem to think that the waiver works totally in their favour, and gives them carte blanche to turn the screws on their customers every which way they can.

WRONG.

The waiver - although I do not agree with it in its entirety - does afford protection to us from this very practice, and we need to make sure that the banks are reminded of this at every opportunity.

Can you imagine the uproar if a bank started litigation proceedings against you for the recovery of an amount which was already the subject of a Court claim?? The judge would look none too kindly on the fact that his decision on a case, that was dependant on the result of another case, had been usurped by counter-litigation.

Thats my view anyway.;)

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

No they havent started proceedings against me but I have recently read that they could. On all of the claims I have made I was always under the impression that once the account was in dispute they couldnt do anymore until it went to court but obviously wrong again. Its seems the banks have everything going for them. Also read about the agreements that the card companies do not have to bring the proper agreement to court but a copy will surfice? What is that all about. Makes you think though. All very odd.

Hi I am just in the process of claiming charges, can you clarify if I can just claim the last 6 years worth of charges or can I claim from when the account was opened?

Thanks Reader

Hi I am just in the process of claiming charges, can you clarify if I can just claim the last 6 years worth of charges or can I claim from when the account was opened?

Thanks Reader

Spend £10 on an SAR (template in the library), insist on receiving every single bit of written paper ever held about you, complete list of all telecons too, and claim back from DAY 1 :)

oops, sorry, just remembered, they have 40 days to comply so you won't meet the hearing on 22 June, but think you should put in a claim for as far back as you can in the meantime.....

Edited by AA99
afterthought :(

Thanks AA99 the thing is that Crap One and MBNA have not sent any statements in relation to my SAR request - I have had to chase them they know they will be in trouble!

Thanks Reader

Use the Information Commissioners Office to force them to produce them. Do it online, quick and easy.... any hassle in the meantime, refer them to the ICO complaint in progress and it'll keep them at bay at least :)

https://forms.ico.gov.uk/freedom-of-information-or-eir-complaint.aspx

Use the Information Commissioners Office to force them to produce them. Do it online, quick and easy.... any hassle in the meantime, refer them to the ICO complaint in progress and it'll keep them at bay at least :)

https://forms.ico.gov.uk/freedom-of-information-or-eir-complaint.aspx

Or just sue for non-compliance ;)

I don't have a direct way to say how to sue only to use things like court orders. I am going to a debt collector who will persue the bank for me and cover all the fees but as I am a business with other debts which need collecting then this will be treated as another debt. There are a lot of scams about so if you do this then you have to check the company is proffesional and does things properly.

oops, sorry, just remembered, they have 40 days to comply so you won't meet the hearing on 22 June, but think you should put in a claim for as far back as you can in the meantime.....
I'm sorry, I haven't been on as much as usual lately, so I may have missed something, but why the big rush to get a claim in before the HOL hearing? :-?

This hearing is just one more step in the long drawn-out process of the judicial system and whichever way it goes (and it is fairly unlikely to change directions drastically, let's face it), it is still going to be a long way from ending this test case, so I am a bit confused right now. Unless I have missed some momentous news, of course, in which case can someone point me to that? Thanks.

(s) Intrigued of Croydon. ;-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks