SP prepayment meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had a prepayment meter fitted (no choice because of arrears). When we moved in rented house we tried to find out supplier from letting agent but got no joy. Letters kept coming from Scottish Power, but to the owner of the house which we sent on to them through the letting agent. We eventually got SP bills sent in our name and found out that there was approx. 12 months of arrears, this is when we had the meter fitted.

We want to move to a cheaper house, so I emailed SP and explained that we want the meter removed.

The problem is, that at the time, I didnt realise we had breached one of the conditions of our tenancy agreement, in that a prepaymnet meter must not be fitted, but we had no choice.

SP now tell me that the meter will not be removed at all and the landlord/agent must be informed because they will charge them for the removal. I said I would pay, but they said no, it cannot be removed on my say so. The landlord/agent do not know that there is a prepayment meter fitted to the house, but I think that I am going to have to tell them so that we can move house.

Does anybody have any advice please, I dont really know what to do for the best. If we stay where we are we are just going to get further into debt. Its beginning to get me and my wife down, jed

I really dont see how landlords are able to put this in their tenancy agreement as they dont have any ownership of the meter and if anything it works in their favour knowing that they wont be left with any of the debt should you decide to just up and leave. You could advise them and let them know that they can deduct the removal amount from your deposit if need be?

Thanks Clare for your reply. I thought it would be in their favour too, but there must be a reason, otherwise why put it in an agreement, jed