Elche/Ell-enn/EXPERTS!! lol - medical conditions at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello! Scenario:

Someone has a muscoloskeletal condition that has been assessed by occupational health and OH has performed a desk assessment, which includes measurements of heights, widths etc. The employee has been recommended a certain chair and desk. The chair comes but the desk doesn't materialise. At this time, employee has one job at desk 1.

Some months later, said employee is expected to perform two jobs, which involve sitting at two very different desks. The desks are different in height, construction and width etc and are set up differently. The employee has only had one desk assessment on desk 1. There has not been any assessment on desk 2. Employee finds that alternating between the two very different desks and as a result having to constantly fiddle with the settings on the chair and set up desk 2 to find a comfortable working position has gradually exacerbated the medical condition. In addition the desk 2 duties mean the employee is not allowed to leave the desk for several hours, yet OH report states employee MUST mobilise every 45 minutes, again not being allowed to do this has exacerbated the condition.

employee has no issue performing two jobs, and in fact is keen to show willing but objects to the nature of the duty performed in job 2 and the desk provided as it has exacerbated her condition, causing her physical pain.

Is it reasonable for the employee refuse to work on desk 2 and perform the duties in which she is not permitted to mobilise, until another full assessment has been performed? Or can she be forced to continue until OH have performed another assessment, risking further damage?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

They are both online. I'm sure that one of them will see your post soon.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

hi Erika,

Not sure if some of my client's would call me an expert ... but perhaps some might - the ones that win lol.......

Anyway back to your scenario. It seems almost certain that the medical condition you describe would be covered by the DDA and therefore an employer must consider reasonable adjustments as they seem to have done (partly) re desk 1.

Furthermore, if the employee refused to work at desk 2, and were dismissed or disciplined for this then they may and probably would have a good discrim / UD claim.

This is all great in theory - but theories don't pay the bills and there is no such thing as a claim you cannot lose no matter strong your case appears.

I would advise, assuming the employee wants the job, that an informal chat is used initially explaining the problems with desk 2, perhaps a polite reminder that if as you say it has worsened the medical condition, then it could to a future EL claim for injury. Whilst insured the employer will not want this and it may assist in persuading them to get of their bums and sort out the work desk.

If the informal route does not work, then I suppose submitting a grievance is the only route, unless you wanted to be really brave and go for the CD claim.

Hope this helps

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks!

I have mentioned it several times, and had a chat with my immediate manager regarding it, volunteered to go back to OH, even though they should heed the original report but unfortunately the boss above my manager insists on my doing job 2 and no leeway. He's not the brightest smartie in the tube when it comes to health and safety - I even had to inform him that every job regardless of whether the staff member performing it has a medical condition should be risk assessed. He didn't believe me so I had to email him the links. Scary considering he has been a "boss" for several years.

In the OH report, it is stated that it is unlikely I would be covered by the DDA as I had not had the condition for more than 12 months at the time of the OH assessment (complete tosh - I have had it for several years). I receive medication if it flares up and have had physio too, but I am not registered as disabled and don't receive any disability benefits. Does that make a difference under the DDA?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)