HELP mahusive bill from Npower

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, Wondering if anybody can help me?

Got my quarterly bill from npower and it is £650 for gas and electric. My house is less than a year old, has A rated appliances, gas central heating on a thermostat, cavity wall insulation, uvpc doors windows etc, and a 3bed semi.

This to me sounds rediculously high and they want me to pay £158 a month which there is no way i can afford as i am going to uni soon so will be a poor student. They said the only other option is to fit pre-payment meters but my landlady wont let me and i hate them. My husbands wage will just cover the bills and thats it.

Just wondering where i stand? I tried to switch providers but they wont let me because of the outstanding balance.

I was told once by edf that an energy contract is a 30day rolling thing and that they cant make you pay any more than what you can afford.

Just wondering if anyone knows what i can do about this?

Thanks in advance :confused:

Got my quarterly bill from npower and it is £650 for gas and electric. My house is less than a year old, has A rated appliances, gas central heating on a thermostat, cavity wall insulation, uvpc doors windows etc, and a 3bed semi.

This to me sounds rediculously high and they want me to pay £158 a month which there is no way i can afford as i am going to uni soon so will be a poor student. They said the only other option is to fit pre-payment meters but my landlady wont let me and i hate them. My husbands wage will just cover the bills and thats it.

Just wondering where i stand? I tried to switch providers but they wont let me because of the outstanding balance.

I was told once by edf that an energy contract is a 30day rolling thing and that they cant make you pay any more than what you can afford.

Firstly check your meters to see they have the right reading, I too had a bill of the same amount and they wanted £158 a month too,m this was for 6 months but was just gas, my estimated reading was a bit high but after sending them the real one its gone do2wn to £132, BUT Ive just been made redundant and Ive written letters to them offering to pay £10 a month untill things change, Ill let you know the result when they apply.

Andy

Did you take the meter readings when you moved in? Are they the same readings used by NPower to open your account on? If they are lower, it is possible the previous utility users (probably the construction firm that built your house) had their bills under-estimated and in reality they used some of the electric and gas that NPower are claiming you owe.

I am absolutly fuming, got home today and have had a letter from npower saying that they will instruct a debt litigation officer to come to my house and cut off my gas an electric!!!!!!!! on or after 9th june 2009!!! I have a child!!!! They want me to set up a payment plan of £158 a month to pay them off.... i cannot afford that but they said no this is the only option or pre-payment meters! Im not allowed pre-payment meters!!!! i owe them £655.15. HELP please coz im livid! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Have you checked that the rate that you are being charge per units is what you agreed?

I am having a nightmare at the moment with them.....

I August i switched to them on a fixed rate tariff hoping to save money and the rates that they quoted were quite reasonable. All was fine until the contract bit of the call when the agent started quoting different rates to what we agreed. I told her that they wasn't what was previously discussed and she told me that she was sorry that their was an error on the system and the rates i had were right and that everything was fine!

I then a few weeks later received written confirmation on my tariff/rates and they were not what i had agreed.... I contacted them immediatley and was again told "dont worry the rates you were quoted were correct" and that it was a admin/printing error. Yet 6 months on i am being over charge by arount £120, because they claim that the rates that i "think" i was quoted are from 2006. They want me to prove my contractual terms and that basically its tough.

I luckily have call recordings of all the phone call between us, which their has now been many. Finishing today when the guy in executive complaints told me that they didnt have my contract call recording because they only keep them for 6 months, i offer to play mine and we could listen together although he wasnt keen :)

I mentioned that as we had no contract, or they had no means of proving it that i wouldnt pay them but he said that i had too. lol

As a FSA regulated organisation do they not need to keep their call recording - especially those which form a binding contract for at least the term of the contract?

It makes you wonder how many times this has happened, if i wouldnt have checked the rates on the statement when it arived i would have carried on paying my monthly dd unaware that i was paying over £20 a month more than neccessary.

Unfortunely looks like i might be fighting to get my money back in the courts though. as the only defence that the guy offered was that i couldnt use my call recording if i hadnt told the agent i was recording..... Madness!!!

With respect EmmaThomas (and I do sympathise with your situation - your bill does seem huge), no-one can help if you don't respond to the questions that have been raised by us. We need more information before we can say what the problem is likely to be. I realise you are extremely angry with NPower but anger won;t solve the problem unfortunately.

NPower cannot cut off your supply if you have children under a certain age, I believe. And in any case they would need to go to court first to apply for a warrant (unless your meters are outside). In which case, you can appeal against the court granting a warrant - the judge is likely to rule in your favour and you would be able to pay the debt back slowly without having a prepayment meter fitted - I share your dislike of prepayment meters; I wouldn't want one either. However, this is all dependant on the arrears calculated being correct. I doubt it is - but without your answering questions we have asked earlier, we can't get any nearer resolving that.

PS: I am not trying to be preachy, I sincerely hope we can help sort out this problem for you.

i took the meter readings when i moved in, me and my landlady went round together. I agreed the units with npower over the phone in december, so i have no paperwork to state what the unit costs were that i agreed to. bearing in mind this is my first time dealing with my own bills like this.

my first bill i revieved from npower had the correct opening units on in, but the final readings were estimated so i rang up and gave the correct readings and this doubled my bill to £655

my meters are outside in those flimsy lockable cupboards

child is 6years old, is my partners son, and stays with us mostly every night.

I have even checked my meters to see if they are the new ones and not old ones that have been recycled to see which volume i am being measured in.

Hope this helps answer a few of the questions

Thanks

i pay 135 month direct debit for my gas and electric and im in a new house rated a and all my appliances are rated aa im out every day at work and my kids are at nursery my mum has them two nights a week cause i work late them days and were always out and about at weekends i hate a hot house so the heating is never on and im a single mum i think the energy companies are screwing us all

Hiya, it was quarterly on reciept of the bill, when i set up the account they said that as they wouldnt know my usage to ring up when i get the bill to arrange a re-payment plan. The bill was for 23rd december to 23rd April (had to ring in march when i got the first bill and give accurate readings as they only had estimates).

The ammount owed for gas is £312.39 - 522 cubic meters first 22785 at 9.016p and the next 3028 at 2.488p.

The ammount owed for electric is £312.39 - (from 23/12/08 - 30/03/09) - 1829 kwh used based on the 1st 196 at 15.52p and the next 1633 at 12.91p - (from 30/03/09 - 23/04/09) - 452 kwh used first 48 at 14.65p the next 404 at 12.19p.

It just concerns me as when i lived at a preovious house because it was rented there were pre-payment meters and i used 40 on electric and 50 on gas a month even during winter, bearing in mind this house was a very old terraced with some wooden windows, older appliances and one window that didnt shut properly!

Thanks again

Do you have an old dial type electric meter EmmaThomas, or an easy to read meter? And does it have three readings (plus the total reading), two, or only one?

I am wondering whether at some stage the electric meter has been misread.

With the gas meter, do you know if your meter is a metric one (will have letter M squared on front of meter and have five digits) or an old imperial one. Once you have found this out, check out the bill to see if your supplier are billing you in line with the meter. Sometuimes they get this wrong and this would mean your bill being way out.

Other than these things, I am not sure quite else coulkd be wrong. Perhaps the meter itself isn;t working correctly? Unfortunatelty, I am no expert in knowing what to do if this is the situation. I believe you can go through all your appliances with your supplier and then see if they are likely to be using as much as what you are being billed. I believe you can also have a test meter installed for the electric, to see if your current meter is working correctly. I understand though there is a pretty hefty charge you have to pay, if it is subsequently found to be correct. Therefore, I think this should be a last resort if nothing else is found to be wrong.

Any thought, anyone else on what could be wrong?

My electric meter just has one line to read from with a dial that spins at the bottom but you cant read anything from it and my gas meter reads m3 on it with one line to read from!

Sort of come to a full stop i think, I have double checked my appliances, they are all AA rated. I have a few energy saver light bulbs, dont leave things on standby etc....

Luckily though i think my application to transfer to scottish power has gone through, they have asked for a start reading for electic and have said my gas should follow on the 26th june, fingers X-d. They want £70 a month by DD for gas and electric, based on the highest level of consumption for a house my size/style, then i cn start re-paying npower at a reduced rate!

Thank you for everyones help by the way esp mattlamb