Electricity and Gas in a Retail Shop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have a three year retail shop Lease. When I originally looked around the shop and spoke to the Landlord about rent, rates, etc he told me that the rent is £800 per month and that includes water, sewerage, electricity and gas useage and that it would be £297 per month for rates which I was happy with. Two other people heard him say this. Our year end has come and gone and my accountant wanted to know whether the Landlord apportioned any particular amounts for the electricity and gas used in the £800 that I pay him. Anyway I asked the Landlord and he told me that the amount I pay him is only for rent and rates and that he himself hasn't had a gas bill (bearing in mind that I have been Tenant in the shop since March 2008!), so he couldn't charge me. A few days later the Landlord came in to the shop and told me again that the amount I pay him each month is for rent and rates only and that he couldn't provide me with a bill for gas as he hasn't received one himself, and that regarding the electricity he hasn't given me a bill, but if I wanted one he could prepare one for me!

Does anyone know where I stand regarding the payment of these bills?

Nic

Rents can include utility such as gas, electricity etc., but it is a bit unusual as the landlord is then taking a risk on your consumption.

This maybe irrelevant, but is the property metered in such a way that you can separate out your own consumption from anyone else in the building.

You need to read your lease, that should set down the position regarding what the £800 includes for.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I believe there are two flats which also run off of the same electricity and gas supply. One flat became empty in October and the other is occupied. I just can't believe that the Landlord has not received a gas bill for over a whole year (especially as the premises have been built for many years). As I said, the Landlord told me that the electricity and gas were included in the amount that I was paying for rent. I have checked through the Lease and it does say that the Tenant is responsible for paying any electricity and gas (if any) to the Landlord, which is fair enough, but can the Landlord go back on his word of saying that this amount would be included in the amount of the rent, and also the fact that he has not given me a bill for over a year?

Nic

As it is not separately metered that is probably why he gave you an all in rent.

The landlord cannot lawfully go back on his word, but he has.

It is all about your word against his (unless you can get the others to corroborate what he said) and the lease (that I presume you signed).

Given it is detailed in the lease, unfortunately from an evidential perspective you would in all probability lose this one. I take it you did not pick this point up when you signed the lease. You could argue an oral misrepresentation induced you to enter into the contract, but it would be a last ditch.

It will be interesting how he apportions the bills. If possible I would just stand your ground and let him quantify the bills and seek payment and take it from there.

• Haha 1

I thought that is what you might say (unfortunately!). The other people that were there when he said it is my partner and my Dad. I have a right to give notice to quit the Lease in June which would terminate the Lease in September (as I have to give three months notice), which I am seriously considering doing. I am looking around to find another shop as I just don't trust the Landlord anymore after this.

Thanks again for your help.

Nic

They will not have much difficulty arguing that your witnesses have bias, as I am sure you will appreciate.

As an aside watch those break clauses in the lease, they usually place some strict obligations on you, if you fail to comply with any of them then you will fail to break the lease and then you are stuck in it for another few years.

I would not wholly distrust the landlord because of this, from what I see above it may not be intentional.

I see a lot of disputes (of this nature) where neither party is being intentionally dishonest, they just have recollections that are different. Maybe meet with your landlord and your witnesses and thrash it out with him, it seems a shame to break the lease for this reason alone, if everything else is okay.