Putting a Levy on my vehicle?? Unpaid Council Tax.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I use my car to ferry my Dad around as he is a blue-badge holder and he cannot drive. I also need the car for work.

In these circumstances, can the bailliff put a Levy on the car? I am keeping it well hidden in the mean time, but does anyone know the law/guidelines on this one? I now appreciate the law and guidelines are not as simple in this area as they are with DCAs etc

Are we of the opinion that http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs-sheriff-officers/173481-devon-cornwall-police-guidelines.html applies to them?

If so, I shall print a copy off, to help any Police Officers and Bailiffs with their duties?!?!?

I am in a position to make payment tomorrow, so should I do this to the Council or him? I also have a letter from the council from a couple of weeks ago agreeing to my repayment schedule with them - then this bunch turned up, so I will use that to take it up with the Council, and ask them to take it back I think.

What does a Levy actually mean? Can he clamp it? My understanding is that he cannot, but I want to avoid getting involved with them totally, and the council to honour their agreement.

Any thougths?

Pay the council and not the bailiff. Insist that your agreement is with them and that you will stick to the payment schedule as agreed.

The Levy means that if you don't pay they can take your car, usually on a tow truck there and then or they will return at a later date if you break any agreement to pay.

There are guidelines that refer to disabled vehicles and vehicles essential for work but the bailiffs will take it and it's then up to you go to court and prove your case to recover it.

A vehicle essential for work would be a taxi or a specially equipped van which without it would mean you could no longer do your job. It wouldn't be enough to say that you use it to get to and from work as the courts can say you can use a bus, taxi, train or walk.

The same would apply with your Dad as it's not vital he uses your car and he could use his allowance for alternative transport under the scheme.

Make sure you can afford the payment schedule and check to see if you are entitled to any benefits that you may have overlooked. Don't worry too much as I had extensive arrears and fought off the bailiffs. Now I just pay what is affordable, even though the council didn't like it at first but it's worked out well and it's almost paid off. I stuck to my guns and have never paid any of the bailiffs fees and would only deal with the council.

It's also worth reminding the bailiffs that the registered keeper of the car is not necessarily the legal owner....

Thanks very much. There is a distinct lack of clear guidance in the way of sticky's to deal with this lot. Any one care to add or comment on the above?

It all seems reasonable to me, but could do with more of a concensus.

Comments anyone?