Guarantor credit file trashed by HFC

fuzzyfuzzy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

HFC have trashed my mums credit file with Arrangements to Pay and late payments all over it as she was the guarantor to a loan took for her son.

It is all settled and no default has arisen, however, where does she stand with this?

I know she was the guarantor but should they have to write to her to tell her payments are late etc, it was her son that made the arrangements to pay and the late payments not her so is there any leverage as as far as i know she never actually received any letters or such. She was completely unaware this happened until getting a copy of the credit file.

Can someone advise me please?

Thanks

Hi, kinda in the same boat myself at the moment. Guaranteed loan for my son, who obviously wasn't paying it. First I knew was a letter from a DCA received last week. Had absolutely no idea this was happening and I'm so disappointed in him but what your mum can do is send off for a Subject Access Request, if you have a look at the templates library, you'll find the letter to send along with a cheque for £10. They then have to, by law, send you all the information that they hold on you (the account), including copies of all correspondence, within 40 days. Hope that's off some help. I'ma relative newbie around here but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. Good luck

Hi, kinda in the same boat myself at the moment. Guaranteed loan for my son, who obviously wasn't paying it. First I knew was a letter from a DCA received last week. Had absolutely no idea this was happening and I'm so disappointed in him but what your mum can do is send off for a Subject Access Request, if you have a look at the templates library, you'll find the letter to send along with a cheque for £10. They then have to, by law, send you all the information that they hold on you (the account), including copies of all correspondence, within 40 days. Hope that's off some help. I'ma relative newbie around here but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. Good luck

Hi, thanks for your reply,

Yeah I sent a SAR off and they sent the letter back saying it must be signed blah blah. No way is she signing it, so I sent the letter back saying they dont need her signature etc and Im waiting to hear back.

It just seems unfair to say that she made arrangements to pay and late payments, when it wasnt her that made these arrangements it was someone else and that they gave her no warning that this was going to happen or an option to pay instead.

Surely as a guarantor they should contact her if there is problems with payment, isnt that the whole point.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew the legalities over guarantor payments as im fairly familiar with 'normal' credit accounts but not over guarantor accounts.

Hope someone can advise me,

cheers

Sorry I can't really shed anything on that for you. As I said I'm just a newbie on here asking for help. Though I completely agree about the unfairness of the situation. If I had been informed the first time my son made an arrangement to pay or even off a missed payment, perhaps the mess I'm trying to get out of now, could have been avoided. Why do they ask for a telephone contact point then not use it!! Although I do hold my son completely responsible and am in no way, excusing his behaviour. But for what it's worth, you're in the right place to get help ..