• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclayloan PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

In October 2007 I signed up to a 60 month Barclayloan which included PPI and was added as a single premium. I have a copy of the loan agreement and I am looking to reclaim the payments made to date and also ask that the loan is restructured, on the basis that the guy on the end of the phone gave me the 'If you take the insurance you can have the funds in your account tomorrow' speech.

I have read mixed things about whether to include PPI charges plus 8% or PPI charges at the loan rate (13.9%). Is this down to each individual case? Also, am I right in thinking that this process does not include court at any stage?;-

1) Write to B's, they say no,

2) Write again, threaten FOS

3) Write to FOS

Bank can say no, FOS can also say no > No further action....

All advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Hello mk,

Hi guys,

In October 2007 I signed up to a 60 month Barclayloan which included PPI and was added as a single premium. I have a copy of the loan agreement and I am looking to reclaim the payments made to date and also ask that the loan is restructured, on the basis that the guy on the end of the phone gave me the 'If you take the insurance you can have the funds in your account tomorrow' speech.

I have read mixed things about whether to include PPI charges plus 8% or PPI charges at the loan rate (13.9%). Is this down to each individual case? Also, am I right in thinking that this process does not include court at any stage?;-

1) Write to B's, they say no,

2) Write again, threaten FOS

3) Write to FOS

Bank can say no, FOS can also say no > No further action....

All advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Best to start with a Subject Access Request.

Examples/templates here....

Full SAR for ppi

Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access Request

Once you have gathered all your data then you can start the reclaim.

Although you have a copy of your Consumer Credit Agreement you can request all data including terms and conditions attached to the CCA at the time of loan. A true copy of the CCA, notes taken at the point of sale. A Needs and Wants/ Customer duty of care questionnaire, example here....

http://wwwa.mbna.co.uk/insurance/files/CP0608_INSU_MB_LP_S.pdf

Tapes of telephone conversations or transcripts of the tapes. In fact every bit of data they hold on you as a data subject. See this....

For legal issues relating to Data Protection check this link...Lots of very useful info in understandable terms.

Data Protection | OUT-LAW.COM

it includes the following and much much more

Negotiating with the Data Subject (This should be important to Banks)

At this stage, it is advisable to negotiate with the data subject. The location information the data subject will have already given will give a clue as to what it is the data subject really wants to have information about. The benefit of the Data Protection Act 1998 is that it allows data controllers to negotiate with data subjects to get the data subject to specify the exact information he or she wishes to receive.

The data controller is entitled to ask for a fee of £10 and two further pieces of information. Firstly, the data controller must satisfy himself that the person making the request is, in fact, the data subject. The use of a subject access request form is advised, since the greatest breach of a data controller's security is for the data controller to satisfy a subject access request made by a person impersonating the data subject. The use of the form goes towards proving that the data controller has adequate identification and verification procedures in place. Secondly, the data controller is entitled to ask the data subject for further information to enable the data controller to locate the information which that person seeks.

When the last of these three pieces of information has been obtained, the forty day period starts to run. It is advisable to put procedures in place to ensure that the receipt of the request and the further information is correctly dated so that an organisation knows how long it has to satisfy the subject access request.

However, if the data subject is adamant that he or she wishes to receive a copy of everything the data controller holds on him or her, then there is very little the data controller can do about this, and a completely exhaustive search of the computerised and manually held data in the organisation will be required. (nice to know what you see in the Act is what you get)

Once you have all the information. Write reclaiming back your PPI payments made over however many months add on the contractual APR 13.9%.

If they do not respond withing 8 weeks or tell you they will not refund, you can go to the FOS and if that fails Court. Or you can go to Court but if you lose you then have no recourse to the FOS.

The FOS and/or Court will be likely to add on 8% Statutory interest from the time the loan started up to the day you accept settlement.

The FOS will insist that the PPI on your loan is cancelled before any settlement so make sure you have adequate cover. You can get cheaper PPI online just google Money Saving Expert and you should get recommended websites for PPI.

Hope this clarifies things for you;)

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Alanalana,

Many thanks for the advice. Is there a way of calculating the impact that the single premium has had on my loan in the given period? Whilst I can apply for £47/Month + 13.9% interest over 17 months, there is still 43 months worth accruing interest on the loan's balance. I have not read any success stories for single premium policies and so I need to establish whether it is my responsibilty to provide accurate figures or if I should expect either B's or FOS to do the homework.....

I will print the letter, get £10 of postal orders and get this underway.

MK

Alanalana,

Many thanks for the advice. Is there a way of calculating the impact that the single premium has had on my loan in the given period? Whilst I can apply for £47/Month + 13.9% interest over 17 months, there is still 43 months worth accruing interest on the loan's balance. I have not read any success stories for single premium policies and so I need to establish whether it is my responsibilty to provide accurate figures or if I should expect either B's or FOS to do the homework.....

I will print the letter, get £10 of postal orders and get this underway.

MK

The FOS will have a formula to work out what is due as they did with me but to be sure I insisted the bank provided a full list of all the calculations. If you are still not happy you can send the calculations to the FOS for confirmation.

I would let the bank and the FOS do the sums, make sure you get copies from the bank and if you wish pass them to the FOS for final confirmation if you are not happy with the figures. Of course you will not get the figures from the bank until after settlement. This will mean you would need to lodge another complaint with the FOS stating you were unhappy with the figures provided but of course this will cost barclayloan another £500 FOS fee.:eek:

aa

PS pompeyfaith is good with interest and spreadsheets and my be able to help if you can PM him and as you are just embarking on the SAR you have 40 days to ask him to help.

Edited by alanalana
ps added

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 3 months later...

After a long wait and hearing absolutely nothing I opened an envelope this morning to find my letter, a £10 postal order and a Barclays compliment slip with the words 'No payee on cheque' written on it.

It was not even a cheque!

I suppose I make it out to Barclays Bank PLC - though if that is wrong I will have to wait another 40+ days to find out.

Idiots :rolleyes:

After a long wait and hearing absolutely nothing I opened an envelope this morning to find my letter, a £10 postal order and a Barclays compliment slip with the words 'No payee on cheque' written on it.

It was not even a cheque! You have to admit they are clever. Banks must have been to mis-sell PPI to the tune of £1.4billion +

I suppose I make it out to Barclays Bank PLC - though if that is wrong I will have to wait another 40+ days to find out.

Idiots :rolleyes:

They have taken their time then :shock:

They will pick up on anything to delay the process but do not be put off by anything the banks say. They will deny liability and use any and every method to put you off claiming.

Why because the Financial Ombudsman Service is upholding 90% of claims and they know they are on a hiding to nothing if the FOS get a complaint lodged against them.

A small delay so small problems crop up, but in the end keep at them and you will in all events have a success (90%) chance anyway.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

To make sure I was making the PO payable to the correct people I called Barclays telephone banking. I also asked them to confirm where the letter should be directed. The first guy gave me a number for the insurers in Dublin. I called back and spoke to another chap who suggested the customer contact centre in Coventry could deal with it and on third time lucky I was given an address in Leicester.

What a bunch of jokers ! :D

• 1 month later...

OK, the stuff has now been sent to my branch and I have to go to pick it up. In the meantime I have been trying to get an idea of the figures involved. I have downloaded the 'Single Premium Calculator' but the results have me puzzled.

Ball park figures ; £8.5k loan, £2k PPI over 60 months...

24 monthly payments of £247 made to date (PPI = £46/month)

APR 13.9%

So....

1) Do I put my hand out for the £2,000 that was added to the loan at the beginning PLUS interest PLUS what I have paid to date, or

2) Do I approach them and ask for the 24 payments of £46 back and expect them to do the necessary with the balance / unpaid PPI left on the loan?

The calculator suggests that I should get between £2,900 and £3,200 back but I cannot see where those numbers fit in to things :-x

Please help !

MK

OK, the stuff has now been sent to my branch and I have to go to pick it up. In the meantime I have been trying to get an idea of the figures involved. I have downloaded the 'Single Premium Calculator' but the results have me puzzled.

Ball park figures ; £8.5k loan, £2k PPI over 60 months...

24 monthly payments of £247 made to date (PPI = £46/month)

APR 13.9%

So....

1) Do I put my hand out for the £2,000 that was added to the loan at the beginning PLUS interest PLUS what I have paid to date, or

2) Do I approach them and ask for the 24 payments of £46 back and expect them to do the necessary with the balance / unpaid PPI left on the loan?

The calculator suggests that I should get between £2,900 and £3,200 back but I cannot see where those numbers fit in to things :-x

Please help !

MK

IMO you should reclaim 24 monthly payments of £46 plus you should ask for the contractual interest at whatever rate they charged. (You will be unlikeley to get this CI as the FOS seem to be only allowing the addition of 8% statutory interest on top of the premiums you have paid). I believe this is totally unfair if a single premium PPI has been added to the loan and Contractual Interest charged by the creditor. I believe this CI should be recoverable but it seems some banks will pay others will not and the FOS seem at the moment to be totally undecided on the issue.

Hopefully things will change to put the debtor back in line and in the position he/she would have been in without any PPI added. There is still a long way to go for a final resolution to the PPI mis-selling issue.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Thanks for the response.

I have read a vast amount of queries from people in my situation and the outlook does not look good, i.e. :

If I ask them to cancel the PPI and refund the payments made to date I fully expect them to re-arrange a new loan using the balance as of 'Today', yet

24 monthly payments of £247 have made little in-roads to the £8k balance (Due to the way in which the loan interest is 'Paid off' first) and it is still over £7k as I write this.....

SO - Instead of paying 'Interest on interest' (i.e. Getting a loan to settle an exisiting loan plus its interest) should I just sit this out and look to reclaim further down the line?

You would think that they would restructure the loan based on the day one figure, minus the PPI and payments made to-date but as yet I have not read anywhere that this is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this....

Barclays have provided me with what they see as the requested information, I am guessing that there are around 3000-5000 A4 pages in total.

I used the template letter from here, has anyone else had any such problems? I expected to get the completed loan application forms, not pages and pages of blurb which is going to take me an absolute age to browse.....

It has taken me months to get to this stage and now its back to square one!

MK

Update on this....

Barclays have provided me with what they see as the requested information, I am guessing that there are around 3000-5000 A4 pages in total.

I used the template letter from here, has anyone else had any such problems? I expected to get the completed loan application forms, not pages and pages of blurb which is going to take me an absolute age to browse.....

It has taken me months to get to this stage and now its back to square one!

MK

This is the latest bank strategy. Send thousands of pages to comply with the SAR request. Shuffle them before posting to the consumer and try and mix in the odd different account number as happened to me with LTSB.

If you are missing information such as the application forms, consumer credit agreements or anything else then you should send a letter of non compliance back.(see this these templates Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance - Template Letters) and then complain to the Information Commissioners Office for them failing to comply fully with the Data Protection Act 1998.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 1 month later...

Update here - I have looked through everything that they sent me but there is no sign of the original application form(s).

I have read elsewhere that I can put my claim in writing at this stage - is that correct ? Is the original application form an essential weapon in the PPI war ?

I have just scrolled back through to see that my original post was in May of last year, yikes!

The course of action suggested (Template letters) threatens court action within seven days but I would not have a clue where to start with all that business.

Happy New Year and as always any help would be much appreciated, I am getting nowhere fast with this whole issue. :cool:

Update here - I have looked through everything that they sent me but there is no sign of the original application form(s).

I have read elsewhere that I can put my claim in writing at this stage - is that correct ? Is the original application form an essential weapon in the PPI war ?

I have just scrolled back through to see that my original post was in May of last year, yikes!

The course of action suggested (Template letters) threatens court action within seven days but I would not have a clue where to start with all that business.

Happy New Year and as always any help would be much appreciated, I am getting nowhere fast with this whole issue. :cool:

If barclayloan have offered you the Financial Ombudsman Service route then that is fine GO FOR IT if they have not responded to your claim within 8 weeks and it seems they have not then the FOS again. It will take months but if you have a valid mis-selling claim you should have success as 90% of claims are successful and with Barclays I think the result is even higher.

So if they have not given you a satisfactory response within 8 weeks of the original claim or they have said that they will not respond further bang in a complaint to the FOS.

I will be doing this soon on behalf of OH as barclays have more or less said they will need longer than the 8 weeks so we could now go to the ombudsman and this is the action for us tomorrow.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Situation is ;

1)Wrote to Barclays, they waited until 30+ days were up before returning my postal order :rolleyes:

2) Re-sent the PO's. They responded by sending me piles up on piles of paperwork, none of which was the document that I had asked for.

3) Here I am.

In their defence (And I do not want to defend them :grin:) - the letter did say something about 'If the documents that you were expecting are not among these....' and I have the option of going back to them on that front, I suppose.

I still seem to have 3/4 choices of how to proceed - Threaten court action, ask for a refund without the application form, FOS (Again, I don't know where to start with that) or let someone else take this up on my behalf and pay them a percentage.

EEK :(

Situation is ;

1)Wrote to Barclays, they waited until 30+ days were up before returning my postal order :rolleyes:

2) Re-sent the PO's. They responded by sending me piles up on piles of paperwork, none of which was the document that I had asked for.

3) Here I am.

In their defence (And I do not want to defend them :grin:) - the letter did say something about 'If the documents that you were expecting are not among these....' and I have the option of going back to them on that front, I suppose. (You must chase them for the documents and if they do not produce them complain to the Information Commissioners Office about the missing documentation with regard to the Data Protection Act 1998.

I still seem to have 3/4 choices of how to proceed - Threaten court action, ask for a refund without the application form, FOS (Again, I don't know where to start with that) or let someone else take this up on my behalf and pay them a percentage.

EEK :(

Barclays are playing very clever.

I have today just lodged a complaint with the FOS about their failure to respond to a claim for mis-sold PPI and I have lodged a complaint with the ICO about barclays failure to supply the Consumer Credit Agreement and also the Demands and Needs questionnaire.

The FOS info will no doubt arrive within a couple of days and then the forms with bundle of letters and fob offs will be heading to the Ombudsman.

It is paramount that you keep at barclays as they are allegedly one of the worst institutions when it comes to PPI and reclaiming. They will delay as in my case but the FOS are upholding claims against them for at least 90 to 98% on mis-selling PPI.

Keep at them is all i can advise and keep posting your progress. ;)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Menatl considering someone on the M S E PPI Success threads is reporting a Barclaycard payout of a mammoth 20k across 2 accounts!

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this.

I wrote to Barclays highlighting the fact that no details relating to the loan application were included in the piles of blurb that they supplied me with in November. On this occasion they replied almost immediately - predictably the tone of their letter is somewhat sarcastic.

I used the SAR template letter on here - that may have been my first mistake, as they point out "Your letter of ___ was construed as a comprehensive request for information under the terms of the act" - this would appear to be the reason for them sending half a trees worth of paperwork.

In terms of my specific request for information relating to the loan, they point out "... it is not available under the terms of the act or it was not retained by the bank" (If it was not among what was given to me in November - which it was not :roll:).

I guess I am ready to prepare the 'I want X' letters now, given that I am not going to be provided with the CCA or Demands and Needs documents?