Purchased Trade Car, Engine Gone after 30miles

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey

Having issues here =).

I purchased a car, well i didnt, my brother did on my behlaf. I read the advert, and liked what i saw, sent my brother to collect it and that was that really.

When it came back, it had double the miles on it, but the guy said it had a new engine that had only done the advertised one, this i could live with.

Next day, noise from engine, took to garage and they said engine has gone (heads).

Rang dealer up, said "you havnt let the oil run low have you" funny he should say that, as when my bro got it to me, i had to put 2 lites of oil in in and half a litre of coolant.

He is now saying he has no obligation to do anything.

Consumer hotline is saying that because the car has done 117k and i cant prove he changed the engine or said he did, that you would expect a car with 117k miles to have issues,

But is this right? Was thinking this car cant be fit for purpose?

I too purchased based on the advert, and only sent my brother to pick it up, but my brother signed the invoice, where does these leave me?

Car was 2k, which was top end of its value, so not cheap, and not a price to make you think its got issues.

Was a trader, and got trade receipt.

Any help and advice is welcome and wanted, plus any case studies if know

thanks

If he is a trader then it is up to him to put it right, but I would ask for my money back. Write to him rejecting the car and ask for full refund under sale of goods act, not fit for purpose etc.

Hey

thanks for that, cant find the advert so looks like this will make my case worse.

I am not sure if i will get anywhere. does anyone have experience or know if i will as the car had 117k miles and maybe its assumed that this car with this type of miles will have some defects? dont know how the courts think..

Yep, some wear and tear defects would be expected to be attended to after you have had it for some time, few months maybe, such as exhaust, brake pads, and the like; but this is major and the symptons would have been apparent before you purchased it. Dealers problem. As said before ask for your money back.

Ditto on that

Was it Consumer Direct that came out with the "117k so you should expect probs" comment?

If so, I would write a letter of complaint, they are supposed to advise based on the law, not some throway comment (that is crapola!)

Disgusting

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Sale of goods act states the item should be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time, based on 2k purchase price, no court is ever going to say one day is reasonable

It would also be unreasonable for the dealer to have expected you to check the oil inisde of 7 days from sale, arguably much longer

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional