Benefits and savings question

Flagg913
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine is on esa (income related) and she has just been awarded £1.000 settlement for an accident claim....Does she need to tell the benefits agency about this and will it affect her benefit...they is another £2.250 comingin 3 weeks time as well.

Short answer....yes.

When your friend signed or, if done by phone which will have been recorded, agreed to the declaration part of this is the agreement to notify them of any changes in circumstances. One off lump sum payments are treated as capital and not as income, however the amount of capital held can affect ESA (IR); so long as your friend holds no more then £6000 in capital then the amount of ESA (IR) paid will not be affected, over £6000 in capital then their payments will be reduced by £1 for every £250 over £6000.

Your friend can either send a letter to the Benefit Delivery Office (BDO) together with the original letter of settlement showing the amount of the payment, or take the settlement letter to their local Jobcentre where they will take a copy and send it to the BDO.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

The above poster is right, and I make only one small correction. I am a BDO for ESA(IR). BDO is Benefit Delivery Officer. The people your friend should contact are the telephony staff at the BDC - the Benefit Delivery Centre.

The relevant phone number will be on any letters he or she received from Jobcentre Plus.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes. Savings (windfall income counts as savings) need to be declared, but if it's under £6000 it will not affect the amount of benefit paid. Of course, if she already has money in the bank and this payment will take her savings over £6000, that would affect her benefit.

I add my usual disclaimer: although I am a Benefit Delivery Officer for ESA, I can't access details about this particular person. She should contact her Benefit Delivery Centre for advice.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.