• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Glenn Vs MBNA ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all....

Reading your threads are very inspirational. I am ready to send out some S.A.R. letters to Barclays Bank and MBNA. But I could not found MBNA's post address on the bank details. Can anyone give me a hand.....thank you very much.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used

Paul Minney - Customer Advocate Office

MBNA Europe Limited

Stansfield House

Chester Business Park

Wrexham Road

Chester

CH4 9QQ

Good luck :)

NatWest Bank charges

01/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

06/10/06 Statements arrived

17/10/06 Prelim letter sent claiming £929

23/10/06 Bog off letter received

25/10/06 LBA sent

01/11/06 Second bog off letter received

MBNA Credit Card

17/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) + £10 cheque sent

26/10/06 Letter telling me they will respond by Nov 16th

The SAr should be sent to the Data controller specifically, i dont know the individuals name but this is the post you should use as the address to send it to.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I have had calls from MBNA and I found them to be rude and they talk to you like a second class citizen. They called for a payment which I had made online by switch. When I informed the girl of this she more or less called me a liar. Then she checked her system and she said that the payment had not come through yet, but I know this to be false, as the payment was made by switch. Funny thing is that she changed her tune after she had checked and left it at that. I complained about their tactics via the web site.

Does anyone know the legalities of company's passing accounts on to other banks?

Ritchieoz

I have just received a letter from MBNA this morning (Rachel Claridge) offering me a Goodwill payment of £160 which is less than half of what was charged (£362.00 in total charges) and included in the letter was the usual chat about charges are fair and is part of my agreement. I know that I can now sent the LBA letter requesting full payment but how do I calculate the compound interest on £362?. Also, is it best to send an email or ring them.

I would appreciate any help as your thread has given me confidence in getting back my charges.

Kind regards

if you go to the vampires spreadsheet and choose which country and whether you wish to calculate compound interest, put into it the rate of 22.9% and then each date down left in american format, then the details of the charge and do one line for each one. the total you have paid will be down the bottom and the interest earned will be at the top. add those together and include these details back to MBNA saying this is your LBA, then phone in a week and speak with either paul miney or colin pugh and say youwant to settle the claim. they will check your figures and may come up with more, they will recalculate and then they will phone back with thier generous offer. that is waht phappened to em and MBNA are doimg the right thing. so go for it

Nancies

Before you even consider ringing them make sure you know exactly what you are entitled to.

They wont necessarily tell you the whole story and you may loose out if you dont know exactly what you want to settle.

MBNA are not doing the right thing as is being said, they are settling to save themselves money and if that means they can reduce what they pay you it is a benifit to them.

They are not being kind.

If they offer you more than you expect its because you are entitled to more but haven't realised it. chances are they will offer more than you ask but in truth you will probably be entitled to more.

Read the thread linked in my signature to make sure you get what you should.

Glenn

PS any questions drop me a pm or post in here

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Did you tell nancie where to go for spreadsheets? As to my settlement, Colin took my submitted spreadsheet. then from the interest payemts that had been taken from my account, he worked out the component of that due to charges interest and similarly for both retail and cash transactions, using the compound rate of 22.9%. When I took out the card the similar rate was 16.9% and it hs fluctuated over a range of values. Now it is at 26.9%. If you want to take each single entry and then calculate the prevailing rate for each, then you are correct, but I would suspect that you would not be closer than a tolerance of + or - 10% of what was paid.

Nancie, go to Consumer Action Group at top of page, click on, then go down to template and click on again, then scroll fdown to spreadsheets and I think it say they are imported, click again. Youw will get a message and within it you will see Vampiress with her name underlined, click again. You will then be directed to a Google web page where you need to log in giving your email address and password. Once this is done you will get the selection of differnt spreadsheets for credit cards and banks in england and scotland. Youhave another choice, either with compound interest or not. Choose which you want, and a new window will open up shoeing you a spreadsheet that you have chosen. There are instrcutions on this page, read those carefully., then at File on top left of spreadsheet and not at the very top of computer, click again and you scroll down to copy this spreadsheet. You can see it ebing copied through the bar at the bottom. At top of page there will be small window showing copied. Once the spreadsheethas copied, you can click on name and type in yours and then scroll down putting in the other details as needed. Whatever interest rate you are going to use, ttpe in. Best of luck

Did you tell nancie where to go for spreadsheets? As to my settlement, Colin took my submitted spreadsheet. then from the interest payemts that had been taken from my account, he worked out the component of that due to charges interest and similarly for both retail and cash transactions, using the compound rate of 22.9%. When I took out the card the similar rate was 16.9% and it hs fluctuated over a range of values. Now it is at 26.9%. If you want to take each single entry and then calculate the prevailing rate for each, then you are correct, but I would suspect that you would not be closer than a tolerance of + or - 10% of what was paid.

So for illustration purposes you can claim the charges, plus the interest paid, then on top of this ,i claimed contractual interest on each charge and the interest i had paid.

I also claimed all my costs for the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), postage, cost of writing the letters.

If this is what you end up with and MBNA are calculating all this then thats fine, if they aren't, and they didn't for me nor anyone else i have seen post yet, then you are loosing out.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Got another letter this morning agreeing to pay me back the PPI, sicne I didnt have ajob when took card out, and it should not have applied to me. They said that their records indicated that I had opted for PPI. Don't think so. Will writeand ask them for the copy of the paperwork:smile:

Read you post with interest. I'm currently submitting my N1 against Abbey. However, am now thinking about going after MBNA after that. As you know, MBNA is used by several 'front' companies (Virgin, etc). Therefore, do I need to contact each 'front' company to get details of charges or do you think I can go straight to MBNA direct?

Abbey recovered £817 -Jan 07

So for illustration purposes you can claim the charges, plus the interest paid, then on top of this ,i claimed contractual interest on each charge and the interest i had paid.

I also claimed all my costs for the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), postage, cost of writing the letters.

If this is what you end up with and MBNA are calculating all this then thats fine, if they aren't, and they didn't for me nor anyone else i have seen post yet, then you are loosing out.

HTH

Glenn

Glenn sorry to interject but im being really thick here have spoken toPaul Miney@ mbna and have so fare received £895 back on charges but said that if i want to claim charges then i have to write to them seperatelyto get the interest back on the charges. He also told me that the compounded and contractual interest is all in together so if i claim the charges i cant claim as contractual and compounded interest as there is no such thing its all worked out together... im really confused i want to claim back the interest and the cost of my time and effort recovering everthing from them but not sure what or how to write the letter now as ive got some back, can you help please ? Sandra:-)

1st letter to Abbey requesting statements 10/08/06

Reply from Abbey..Sorry on Microfiche..cant do 18/08/06

2nd letter to Abbey Microfiche argument letter R/D 23/08/06

Received 16 Statements from Abbey 23/0806

Reply from Abbey.. enclosed complaints leaflet 2/08/06

Phone call from abbey Re my account 20.55hrs 5/09/06

Letter to MBNA requesting statements 6/9/06

Sent off Data Protection Act letter to MBNA 2/10/06

Sent off Non Compliance letter to P Speed 3/10/06

Cover letter & 5yrs statements received 9/10/06

Received letter from MBNA saying they had reduced limit 9/10/06

Sandra

Its all part of MBNAs ploy to stop you claiming back what you are entitled to and unless people ringing know the language they will get confused and loose out.

You paid some charges which were unlawful and you can claim those back, they are late payment fees, excess overdraft fees stuff like that.

When you pay those fees it impacts on the interest you have to pay MBNA. So because you have paid that interest you can claim that back. MBNA charge that interest according to the terms and conditions and apply the contractual rate of interest, in my case it was 16.9% compounded, so in other words you have already paid interest and are entitled to that back too.

Then because you are forced to sue them to get back what you have actually paid you can ask for interest because they have taken your money unlawfully.

You can either apply the contractual rate of interest or claim sec 69 interest on everything you have paid.

Think of it this way, they have taken your money and had the use of it and earned interest on it, they have reinvested it and earned interest on the interest as well. You on the other hand have incurred losses and lost opportunities and may even have had to take further loans to cover for the money they unlawfully took from your account.

So you are entitled to claim for the lost opportunity and their unjust enrichment, the effect is that you charge them the contractual rate of interest on the lot.

HTH

Glenn

PS if anything is not clear then ask, MBNA are serving their own needs not those of customers, as far as i can make out nearly every person who has phoned and settled has lost out and yet still people ring without understanding or being prepared.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi

Have read your threads and its all very interesting - I have obviously calculated the interest I am claiming incorrectly and will amend my figures. Thanks guys for that information. I've just received my second goodwill offer from MBNA have sent my LBA letter off to them but they have not returned all the charges or any interest and are arguing that £12 charges since June 2006 are quite legal and that I cannot have any of that back. They also stated in their letter that our letter was received in August 2006 and that they will only refund money up to that date and not for charges made since that we have added on in our LBA letter. The letter was from Rachel Claridge. Should I give them a ring? Whom should I speak to - Rachel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bunnykins321

Laura Ashley - Prelim Letter Settled in Full £100

Tesco (RBS) - LBA - offered £64 - still owe me £136.19 - second LBA letter sent 12 Nov 2006

Mint (RBS) - LBA - offered £54.23 - still owe me £70 second LBA letter sent 14 Nov 2006

LLoyds Gold - Moneyclaimol 12 Nov 2006

LLoyds Plat - Moneyclaimol 12 Nov 2006

Lloyds Classic - LBA letter sent 12 Nov 2006 for £2,593

Lloyds Classic - LBA letter sent 12 Nov 2006 for £508.65

MBNA (2 accounts) - Two goodwill payments received so far totalling approx £700 - just going in for the final kill!

What do you want to talk to them about?

IF they are arguing that the £12 is lawful and that any charges applied since a specific date cannot be refunded they are acting unlawfully unless the charges are a true reflection of their costs.

Since all the independent evidence in the public arena has suggested that the cost of sending a letter out for a late payment or similar is a few penny's.

I suggest you write to them telling them you don't accept this unless you intend to submit in the future.

If you write there is no doubt about your intent or what you want in the future. Ring and there is always room for debate. Even if you are very confident its always possible that you would give something away you don't mean to.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

I agree with Glenn, from past experience all they will try and do is confuse you and possibly give up information or come to a compromise that will not be in your favour.

Stick to your plan, it's up to them to conform in the timescales given, and if you are a week late with the next stage of the proceedings so much the better - you can argue that you gave them extra time in goodwill and they still neglected their responsibilities.

It's your money. every penny of it.

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I think I may have another slight problem - in my LBA letter enclosing statement I calculated the interest owed to me at only 8% and didnt charge them for admin charges. I'm at going to court stage with LLoyds, Mint, Tesco so I have made this mistake on all of them. Do I have to write to them all again or forget about the extra interest and admin charges when filling in the court papers. You advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tesco (RBS) - LBA - offered £64 - still owe me £136.19 - second LBA letter sent 12 Nov 2006

Mint (RBS) - LBA - offered £54.23 - still owe me £70 second LBA letter sent 14 Nov 2006

MBNA (2 accounts) - Two goodwill payments received so far totalling approx £700 - just going in for the final kill!

Bunnykins

In truth in small claimsthe courts wont generally award you costs, so adding in costs for letters may be considered 'cheeky'.

so i wouldn't add them to my claim, although i would go to court with a schedule in my hands that should i get asked what my costs were i could hand it over in 'all innocence'.

Re interest i wold write back to them with a further LBA and revise the interest to the level you want to claim, it gives them another 14 days but you wont run the risk of them complaining they haven't had time to deal with it.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for your advice. I've written them another letter thanking them for their goodwill payment but stating the I want what's owed to me and giving them another 14 days before court action. Hope this does the trick.

Bunnykins321