Debt collection coming for a bill from Talk Talk I shouldnt even have!

John D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I was planning on transferring my grannys phone from BT to Talk Talk because BT didn't seem like a good deal because she was with them so long and the charges were really bad compared to Talk Talk.

Anyway...someone was doing door to door for Talk Talk and she wanted to sign up but that day a few people that have it said they were having a lot of problem with it, the phone line not working and internet cutting off, which I needed when I was looking after her because I work online.

After I heard this I wanted to cancel it so I phoned up the next day and asked them to cancel the contract and she was going to stay with BT, I was told thats no problem on the phone and the contract didn't even go through yet because it was only made yesterday so it wasn't on the system.

I thought it was cancelled and the line was still on BT, I got the internet router in the post but kept it because it said in a letter if the contract was cancelled I would have to send it back and they would send out details for it, I kept the router (Still have it) waiting for something to come but it never did.

About a month later I got a bill for around £45 (I think) - £25 or £30 for the setup and there was £5-£10 of calls.

I had no idea the contract had changed over and still thought it was going as usual on BT.

I phoned up but they told me the contract went through but I said I didn't want it - I was pretty much told there is nothing I can do.

The phone line was cut off because I didn't pay the bill, I didn't see why I should.

They kept the phone line going for months and charged me line rental monthly and now I have a debt collector coming to my door asking for £220!

Even when the phone was on it was constantly going off, I thought it was a problem with the phone exchange, the internet was also going off and I kept cutting off and I had phoned my internet provider a few times about it but they said nothing was wrong on their side, I didn't know my internet was now going through Talk Talk and it was a problem with them.

The phone line wasn't working since the first bill, which I didn't pay because I didn't want the contract and was told it was cancelled.

As well as this, they told me they would cancel my other internet provider, but I was getting charged for months from them when talk talk had changed the internet over to them and it wasn't working!

What should I do about this? Bt also wants £160 to reconnect my grannys phone to them...

The contract is in my name but at my grannys address and the debt collection is coming there.

Thanks for any help!

John

Oh dear. This IS a mess.

Telecoms, and changing your mind of a set course of action is often fraught with problems as there are too many people and systems involved when things start to break down. Whilst you may have arranged to take on a new supplier, then cancelled - talk is 'cheap' and if they said they would accept your instructions to cancel, you'll need to know who you spoke to and when.

As you were terminating (as is your right) you need evidence that you cancelled, writing is good - as there is no doubt you cancelled, but without this it becomes a game that you may succeed in proving you cancelled, and if you ae not successful, you are stuck.

In any event, BT WILL be due money to reconnect you - you ceased to be a customer and came back, so they are entitled to charge.

re: getting the phone line conected

Check this link and see if its something that you'd be interested in.

Notices 2009 06/09 Calling Plans - Line Connection Special Offer

If so, call the customer options team (As thats the team that normally provides the special offers) on 0800 800 030. Tell them that you want the "line conenction special offer"

Now, Re:TalkTalk

Keep everything in writing. Maybe send a SAR? (modify the one in the bank templates to suit) to

Data Controller

Legal Department

TalkTalk Telecom Limited

1 Portal Way

London

W3 6RS

If you called from a BT line, do you have that itemised phone bill? (that will at least prove you contacted them!) If so send copies, along with your full account of events to :-

Customer Liaison Manager

Carphone Warehouse

PO Box 344

Unit 19

Southampton

SO30 2NP

Be clear with what you want from them and ask them for a "deadlock letter" if they cannot provide it.

If they do send a deadlock letter, you can then escalate your complaint to

Otelo

PO Box 730

Warrington

WA4 6WU

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 11 months later...

hi having trouble with talktalk. We were with them for about 11 months but we then bought a new house. We tried to transfer our contract to new house so we would only have 7 months left of our original 18 mth contract but they wouldn't allow us to do so. We then had to pay a £70 cancelation fee. We rented our other house out and the new tenants stayed with talktalk but then after after about a year they started having trouble with them and wouldn't pay the bill of £26.00 as they could access all their services. We have now received a letter at our new house saying debt collectors will be visiting us for our old house address bill. Our tenants have spoken to talktalk saying that it is nothing to do with us and it is their responisibility as they are living in our house. They wont accept this and keep writing to us. They have sent them a copy of their tenancy agreement too, to prove this. The bill has now gone to about £135.00. We have been told if we can prove our cancelation payment then they will leave us alone but not found it so far. How would i find out who they used as a debt collector back in 2008? (sorry nearly written an essay). Hope someone can help!!!!!

Who the DCA is is irrelevant. DID you terminate your account, or did the tenants simply take it over and pay the bills in your name? This needs to be established. If you paid the cancellation fee, then the issue is not of your concern. If TT refuse to accept this, provide what you can to prove you cancelled and paid the fee - and they can whistle for anything else.

DO check your credit file first though, in case they have defaulted you.

hi wanted to know dca name so i could check statements for cancelation fee. Yes phoned and cancelled and tenants set up an account in their name but they had my details of new address because we tried to move our account to new address. I cannot understand why when our tenants are saying hands up that it is them and not us. Talktalk are saying there was no cancelation and have been keeping the account in our name.

Find out from the tenants for their TT A/c number. If there isn't one, or it doesn;t turn out to be valid, then there are other issues than need addressing. As for the DCA, they don't work for you, so I'd ignore them or at least simply say the matter is in dispute and to refer it back to their client.

I'm unclear why you think the DCA would hold details of thge cancellation fee. It would be TT that hold this.