style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on this please following the day from hell on Wednesday :-)

Came home from work to find a bailiffs letter from Bristow and Sutor demanding £394 in council tax from 08/09. I had previously been in contact with my local authority to explain to them I had had a nervous breakdown in 2008 and was severely depressed as a result - hence none of my post was opened for 6 months - hence the arrears. After fighting off repossession (another nightmare) I paid the council £20 December 08 £20 January 09 £150 February and £214.14 March. This left £300 left to pay in April.

However, the new council tax year started then, plus I had to pay my mortgage company the £300 to stop repossession I had put aside to clear the council tax arrears - to me the priority debt was to keep a roof over my head.

I have paid the council for this years council tax each month starting April so am not behind on this - but had written to them to ask if I could pay an additional £42.85 each month starting July to next January 2010 in addition to my monthly payment. This was my proposal to clear the outstanding £300 without causing me extreme hardship.

So - Wednesday came home - letter from bailiff! To cap it off the letter he left says the oustanding balance is £394?? In my maths £300 plus his first visit fee of £24.50 does not add up to that!

I have sent the letter recommended on these forums to the bailiff yesterday requesting a full breakdown of the charges. Also e mailed via their website but received a response back saying that they couldn't deal with me as their Bailiff had my file and I had to speak to him directly....what a load of b*ll*c*s! Sent a text to the Bailiff on his mobile advising him I would not allow peaceable entry and have requested a breakdown of charges -have had no response. Also copied my letter to the Bailiffs firm to the local council - and again proposed the repayment plan.

I'm now typing this wondering what on earth to do next? I'm absolutely terrified and in no way want a doorstep confrontation. I have worked hard to feel 'safe' in my own home as it is (had nervous breakdown as a result of my ex partners criminal activity which I discovered) and have never felt safe here since until recently.

Suffice to say this is having a serious effect on my health again worrying about this - have closed all curtains to house and am worried he may come back over the weekend. I have a close relative very sick in hospital at the minute so the stress of all this is unbearable.

Also tried to take my car up my drive round the back of my house yesterday - but was in such a state I knocked the wing mirror off - so ended up having to reverse it back onto my drive -you have to laugh don't you!!

Can anyone give me any advice please what to do next as I'm sooo worried?

Many Thanks :-)

move your car before they come back or they will defiantly use this to levy

then get in touch with your M.P. if you have been seeing a doctor because of this nevus breakdown you should come under the national standards for enforcement as a vulnerable person also if you are a one parent family this help also

Hi TAO

Sorry to hear of your probs with BS - I dealth with them a few months ao for my son. Baillifs are not supposed to deal with "vulnerable peope" write to your council immediately, telling them of your problems and that you are a vulnerable person, asking them to take your case back and make a payment arrangement. Also write to BS tell them you know they are supposed to pass the cases of vunerable people back to the council

This is what I did for my son and it worke -he has been paying the council direct and BS haveleft him alone

Debt Basics - Bailiff Guide - know your rights

Also tell BS you will only communicate in writing

Hope this helps

good luck

cas

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Well took your advise, wrote to B and S advising my situation and reason account went into arrears (also enlcosed copies of letter from doctor etc). Offered to pay the £300 outstanding on council tax over the next 6 months in equal installments on top of my £100 each month council tax for this year....

and guess what...

Have received a letter from B and S saying my proposal has been rejected and they are sending the bailiff again...more costs added!

Have come back to my home today to find another hand delieverd letter from Mr Bailiff...charging me another £18 for the visit...

I think your BIG mistake here is not speaking directly to the Council about this recently. Keep in touch with them.

Baillifs are bullies; they exploit the weak.

Speak to the Council, and post an update here. Ask the Council for a breakdown of the charges that THEIR employees have sent to you.

The Baillifs work for the council; the Council are their bosses. Ask the Council for a break down of the charges that their sub-contractors have charged you.

FX

Guest Happy Contrails

Have received a letter from B and S saying my proposal has been rejected and they are sending the bailiff again...more costs added!

Have come back to my home today to find another hand delieverd letter from Mr Bailiff...charging me another £18 for the visit...

Contact the local government ombudsman. You appear to have made a reasonable offer and the bailiff unilaterally rejected it and charged a fee. Its contrary to Section 2 of the Unsolicited Goods & Services Act 1971 and you are techncially not liable for the fees. Phone the council and ask them to clear this up without today otherwise you will make an application for damages against them addressed to the LGO.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Just to give you an update on the above - after much hassle from B and S I have paid the amount requested (original owed plus £24 plus £18 only in fees).

I have received a confirmation back from them to say the amount is now clear - despite their bailiffs letter saying that the total owed was in excess of that amount (presume he had slapped on some extra fee's contrary to the industry agreed ones!)

Anyway a big thanks to all for your advice on here, was much appreciated and I am extremely grateful.

Regards

TA

Thanks Hallowitch, Yes Im glad it is...am learning to survive on beans this month but it was so worth it to get these awful people off my back.

Thanks to all for their advice and support x