Jobs At Risk-employer Not Fair On Scoring System Of Assessments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me. After 25 years of working for a fairly large company, I and many colleagues were given notice last week that our jobs were at risk. The individuals affected were given an interview with our manager and personnel. We were given a copy of our jobs at risk assessment which basically shows 6 criterias for assessment eg skill, productivity, attendance(on attendance never had a day off sick or late for work. Last day off sick was over 10 years ago) etc. As I say, we were given a copy to take away, study it and go back to a second meeting. I had my second meeting this morning, note on both occasions I was accompanied with my shop steward. At this mornings meeting, my manager and personnel went over the scoring system used. Everything seemed okay until they came to skill. I was given a mark of 2 out of 5 on the matrix system as I was assessed to have 12 skills. For example 1 to 10 skills = 1 point, 11 to 20 skills = 2 points. This is then multiplied by a factor of 30, so for skill I had 2 x 30 which scores me 60. I asked what skills were listed for me and my manager read them out. I noticed that a work area in our factory that had recently been updated with new machinery, I was advised I had been given 0 points for this as I could work the old machinery I had not been properly trained on new machinery, basically new machine gives out same finished job, its just faster and produces more. On queerying this, my manager wouldnt budge on this and said he was awarding 0 points to me on this new machine, even though I had worked a very similar machine for 15 years, so I requested a further review on my skills score, he refused. I also heard before the meeting that a girl that I had trained up last year, her job was not at risk. I questioned this, she wasnt on the new machines either and I know what jobs she can do, my evaluation is she could do 7 skills which would give her 1 point x 30. My manager wouldnt discuss this girl. My shop steward then requested a copy of all employees that worked in that area, he wanted to view all assessment forms. Both my manager and personnel refused this request. My shop steward made the request once more and asked it to be minuted along with all the rest of the minutes of the meeting. He totally agrees with me that management have not done the scoring process correctly. My next meeting with my manager and personnel is next monday, where we reckon they will rubber stamp redundancies. So where do we go from here? Surely we must have some rights and why is our employer refusing our requests? I look forward to hearing any feedback on this. Many thanks for taking the time to read this. Betty.

Hi Betty

I'm not really sure where to go on this one - you're in a union which is great and your shop steward knows what they are talking about.

All I can say on this one is to wait and see what happens with the redundancy meeting and your union will take it from there if there is any issues.

Best Wishes

Heb

Hi Heb,

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. Having been in the union from day one, 25 years, I have never needed any serious help from them in the past, now in this difficult situation for me, where I find my employer refusing our requests and rights, there is no justice here and I am quite sure that our manager is well aware that he has not been fair in the scoring system. I can only hope that the missing part to this jigsaw can be found before monday, otherwise I'm out of work.

Again, thanks for your encouragement.

BETTY

Betty, I am very thin on employment law. However, one point occurs to me.

You say you have worked there for 25 years - therefore must be of a certain age? (Not being rude honest!)

Then you say "the girl" which implies she is much younger than you.

Ask your Union Rep about this age discrimination thing. ie., same skills, you've been there longer and are more experienced, why then does she score more highly than you? Couldn't possibly be because she's younger now, could it? ;) As I said, I know next to nothing about employment law, but I think it would be well worth getting your rep to throw this in the pot as well! If nothing else it'll cause aggro, well, they've caused you aggro haven't they?

I wish you luck, you must be very worried.

Thats what I cant understand, she has less skills than me but management dont put her job at risk. Concerning length of service, personnel stated that doesnt come in to it now, assessment based on skill, performance, attendance etc. Management picking and deciding here and it is grossly unfair...but where is the law on this? There must be something somewhere in the employment act.

• 2 weeks later...