Barclays closed account?!!?...query

esplou
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all just looking for some advice please :p

Less than a mnth ago I received a phone call from Regal credit demanding I pay 1600pounds with in 7days or they would take me to court, I explained that i wasnt working etc and sent them a letter from the templates on this site. (No reply from them so far

Today I called Barclays to update my address details so that they could send my SAR to my new address, but they told me I would need to send it to head offic as my account my closed down as of 10th March 2009.

My query is whether or not Regal Credit still have a right to chase me for this account? ..It was a student overdraft-interest free.

Thanks in advance for any feed back

;)

Morning all just looking for some advice please :p

Less than a mnth ago I received a phone call from Regal credit demanding I pay 1600pounds with in 7days or they would take me to court, I explained that i wasnt working etc and sent them a letter from the templates on this site. (No reply from them so far

Today I called Barclays to update my address details so that they could send my SAR to my new address, but they told me I would need to send it to head offic as my account my closed down as of 10th March 2009.

My query is whether or not Regal Credit still have a right to chase me for this account? ..It was a student overdraft-interest free.

Thanks in advance for any feed back

;)

If you used the overdraft and didn't pay it back then technically, yes albeit you can make payment arrangements with Barclays. Did the account incur bank charges?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Thanks,

yes it would have incured charges (although technically it shouldnt have) as I was under the 1000pound max for the interest free overdraft.

So before I start to pay back the loan I should reuest the SAR and the refund of bank charges that I have not yet paid???

cheers ;)

Sorry, if Barclays has closed down my account would thay not refuse out right to come to an agreement in paying it back, esp now that Regal has contacted me?

Thanks,

yes it would have incured charges (although technically it shouldnt have) as I was under the 1000pound max for the interest free overdraft.

So before I start to pay back the loan I should reuest the SAR and the refund of bank charges that I have not yet paid???

cheers ;)

I would definitely do a subject Access Request regardless of anything else. I wouldn't deal with Regal Credit until you have determined whether the account is in dispute(almost a dead cert really).

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Just recived another letter from Regal, again stating 7 days to pay, making me aware that they have european representative that can come and talk to me, that county court action can be taken aginst me here in spain and tht i would incur all costs.

Question:

If they decide to take me to court can I choose to have it take place in the UK..as to incur their expenses to Spain would be too much!ht a

They also mentioned a Warranty of execution and action that would incur, i.e Baliffs or sales of properties....is this correct as I read on some debt advise site that as my debt is from an overdraft then a Baliff was not possible...

Im not sure what to send them now, Ive requested a SAR from Barclays but not the CCA from Regal..

Any advice welcome, thanks

Hi Esplou,

The SAR should show if you've incurred any bank charges which you could reclaim.

It should also show how and when the a/c was closed, and whether Regal now own the debt or are chasing it on behalf of Barclays.

From what I understand, they are most unlikely to pursue this debt in Spain, regardless of their threats to do so.

Once you have seen if there are any unfair charges to be reclaimed, you can make an offer to repay at so much per month.

If this is a bank account, a CCA request will not be helpful to you.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Slick ;)

just about to replyto them, ive reqested SAR, so hopefully il be in the know shortly. Barclays have confirmed that the account is now closed and Regal state they are chasing on behalf their client, Barclays.

Thanks, I hope to look up more info on them chasing people abroad, solet me knw if you have any info on that. Myself I tend to get worried as the laws will be different here :S

cheers ;)

I have no info about chasing debts abroad, but common sense suggests it would not be worth doing unless the debt was significant (eg tens of thousands).

Having said that, if any debt remains unsettled, it will show against your credit records for at least 6 years. So if you intend to return to the UK, it may well show against you and they'll pursue you for it at any new UK address.

So it may be best to resolve this and not just rely on them not pursuing you in Spain.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

help require...:confused: just recieved my SAR fom regal credit whe I originally sent off the request to Barclays data protection, and all they have sent me is a copy of my statements and nothing else, Is tis right or should there be more, I sent of the standard letter, requesting all info etc.

Also looking thu the statments my once Student and Graduate account (with interest free overdraft upto 1000pounds) was converted to a normal bank accoutand personal overdraft from June 2004, of which I was not made aware! From then on they have been charging interest, anything from 13pounds upto 28pounds until June 2005. rom that date no more charges and they closed my account a few months back since then only contact made from regal.

Are Barclays allowed o change my account and status without informing me? (they had my contact details back then!)

And might I be able to claim back these interest rates?

Thanks in advance for advise

Hi Esplou,

Did you send the SAR to Regal or Barclays. It sounds like the debt is still owned by B's, particularly if there is no Notice of Assignment of the debt. If a NoA was issued, a copy of it should have been included with the data sent to you in the SAR.

Make a list of all default charges made to the a/c before it was closed - use a site spreadsheet for this and read the Reclaiming Charges Guide at Link No1 in my signature below.

You should be able to claim back charges and the interest they have added to those default charges. I'd send your Prelim Claim letter to Regal - see how they react to it. ;)

Taking this action will put the a/c In Dispute and this should limit any action Regal take re collection.

B's are allowed to change the status of the a/c if you have not run the a/c properly, although they should have told you about this at the time. Doubt there's much you can do about this now though.

• Haha 1