• Tweets

• Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
    • Sorry, I got confused  Yes, it states all three   Thanks, 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sirfris v's Egg

sirfris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, this is my first post and I'm after some advice having spent hours and hours reading up on this subject on here.

I have an Egg card taken out years and years ago and think it was done online around 2000.

I am not in default and paying the minimum payment each month. I sent a template letter for my CCA along with the £1. Egg banked the money and sent me their standard T's+C's along with 2 pages of new conditions which come into effect 28th May 09 and a copy of a standard credit agreement. (NOT mine no name, sig etc)

I ammened my original CCA and resent by Recorded delivery asking for my true copy and giving them a further 12 days (how nice of me)and today have received a standard letter saying they are investigating my complaint and they will respond within 8 weeks.

I called them today and they said they are sending another letter requesting my signature as proof. I shall await this letter but I'm not signing it, as I digitally signed my original 2 letters and they accepted the 1st and sent out a standard credit agreement as previously mentioned.

I have the following questions if anyone can help please:

If I use my card after the 28th May would I be agreeing to these new conditions and as such would I be agreeing to a enforceable agreement?

I suspect my agreement is like a lot of posters on here, in that it will most likely either not have a sig or the credit limit wording will be incorrect hence them delaying.

Is there a way OR has anyone managed to contest the enforceability of a egg credit card agreement without them defaulting your account?

I would love to stop my DD and send the dispute letter but I don't want my credit rating trashed as my mortgage is up for renewel in 3 months time!

So in a nutshell what should I do when I receive the letter for my sig?

I take that Egg will delay,ignore etc until I stop paying then they will default my credit rating despite legally they are not supposed to.

Any idea's?

Many thanks

S

Hi all, this is my first post and I'm after some advice having spent hours and hours reading up on this subject on here.

I have an Egg card taken out years and years ago and think it was done online around 2000.

I am not in default and paying the minimum payment each month. I sent a template letter for my CCA along with the £1. Egg banked the money and sent me their standard T's+C's along with 2 pages of new conditions which come into effect 28th May 09 and a copy of a standard credit agreement. (NOT mine no name, sig etc)

I ammened my original CCA and resent by Recorded delivery asking for my true copy and giving them a further 12 days (how nice of me)and today have received a standard letter saying they are investigating my complaint and they will respond within 8 weeks.

I called them today and they said they are sending another letter requesting my signature as proof. I shall await this letter but I'm not signing it, as I digitally signed my original 2 letters and they accepted the 1st and sent out a standard credit agreement as previously mentioned.

I have the following questions if anyone can help please:

If I use my card after the 28th May would I be agreeing to these new conditions and as such would I be agreeing to a enforceable agreement?

I suspect my agreement is like a lot of posters on here, in that it will most likely either not have a sig or the credit limit wording will be incorrect hence them delaying.

Is there a way OR has anyone managed to contest the enforceability of a egg credit card agreement without them defaulting your account?

I would love to stop my DD and send the dispute letter but I don't want my credit rating trashed as my mortgage is up for renewel in 3 months time!

So in a nutshell what should I do when I receive the letter for my sig?

I take that Egg will delay,ignore etc until I stop paying then they will default my credit rating despite legally they are not supposed to.

Any idea's?

Many thanks

S

Hi Sirfis

Egg have started being awkward about providing copy CCAs, but I can tell you now that they either don't have it at all or, more likely, they do have it but it is the "approved limit" style agreement. This is widely believed to be totally unenforceable by the courts.

And no, you won't be deemed to be accepting new conditions as the agreement you signed is the one you signed. Pre 2007 there was a proper level of consumer protection in place, and the new 2007 laws do not apply retrospectively to earlier agreements.

Don't call them, you are wasting your time.

You are wise to be worried about the default. This is virtually unavoidable, and as far as I know there have been no victories to speak of against credit card companies in this area. Even the Information Commissioner agrees that they are allowed to default you in these circumstances, and they are supposed to be enforcing the Data Protection Act.

The only ways you will avoid the default are:

1. pay up.

2. succeed in getting an injunction against Egg for trying to enforce an unenforceable agreement.

3. be the first person to win a victory under the data protection act for processing untrue data about you (contrary to the opinion of the Information Commissioner)

In the meantime you can fight them on late payment & overlimit charges and PPI premiums - if you have had any of those.

Many thanks for your advice it's really appreciated.

Are you saying you can take out an injunction to stop them from putting a default on your file? Or fighting to get it removed once it is placed on my credit file?

I was niavely thinking I could prove the CCA was unenforceable or non existent (if they dont have one) and get things sorted whilst paying the minimum payment and avoided a default.

I'm now realising that Egg are unlikely to play fair and abide by the law and default me whilst in dispute.

Is one default a really bad thing to pick up your credit file I guess so from other posts? I've always had an a1 credit rating hence the reluctance to allow Egg to illegally trash it!

I am now reluctant to pay this off because of their blatent disregard for the law and feel like they need teaching they are not above it :)

I shall see what this letter says and then respond accodingly. I think I will be ignored unless I take the step of cancelling my DD.

Presumably if you are paying the minimum payment then that is just the interest, and you are not reducing the amount owed? Do you have any late payment charges or PPI that you can argue about?

Opinions on the impact of defaults do vary across the forum, but they are a black market against your reliability, and so could mean you get offered a worse rate when applying for credit. This is all speculation, of course. But it's not hard to see how the money saved by not paying Egg could be swallowed up by increased mortgage payments.

Where an agreement is not enforceable by the courts, judges have suggested that the appropriate course of action is an injunction to prevent collection activity. I'm not sure we have any examples of people doing this yet, and I know it can be expensive it you lose. There is also no guarantee that the judge would agree to include not damaging your credit file as part of the injunction.

If Egg have lost the agreement then they are going to have a hard time proving they have the right to pass your data onto third parties at all. However, they still will, and do you really want a big fight that you could avoid?

Sad but true, and even the ICO take the view that a default can be recorded even without a credit agreement. Just the evidence of a credit facility being provided and then not paid regularly seems to be enough for them. I have a link somewhere to an article about that.

Let's look at it another way. I have an Egg Card with a credit limit of £5,000. The agreement dates from about 2000. (I'm talking about my own Egg Card now, not my friend's Egg Card mentioned in my other thread). Can I go out tomorrow and max it out, with no intention of repaying, and without any fear of my credit rating being affected?

I think that is where they are coming from.

Another issue you could look into is unreasonable increases in your interest rate. If you do an advanced search you may be able to find some threads. The FOS may be able to help with this once Egg have rejected your complaint - but they are very slow and it won't help you in the short term.

I do not have any late payment charges and to the best of my knowledge I never took out or have ever seen any PPI charges on any statements.

Knowing how the banksters create the debt in the first place and knowing they may have slipped up with these agreements. It would be nice to give them a dose of their own medicine.

I shall investigate the unfair interest rate threads.

Thanks again.