style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a mate at work who is beside himself with worry regarding Jacobs. I recommended this site to him, however he has no internet.

From what I can gather, prior to him getting married his wife had a debt with the local council which she has been paying off by Court Order at the rate of £50 a month. She has never missed a payment via direct debit.

Suddenly a firm called Jacobs has appeared and has claimed the balance of the debt is now to be paid to them, at far greater installments which my mate and his family cannot afford. My mate hasn't a clue why they've become involved due to the regularity and consistancy of his wife's payments.

They've been harrassing him over the phone at his home and at work, threatening legal action and demanding his and his wife's income details.

Any advice I can give this poor fella would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Happy Contrails

Seek professional advice about getting a restraining order under the Protection from harassment Act 1997. If the council is uncoorperative then contact the Local Government Ombudsman and ask for compensation.

Thanks, I'll pass that on.

Is it legal for these people to ignore a Court Order and demand more money from the debtor? Surely they would have to go through the courts themselves?

Guest Happy Contrails

If a bailiff breaches a court order then he commits Contempt of Court. A bailiff doesn't personally need to go to court to obtain an order, its usually done by the creditor, the bailiff is just a civil enforcement officer.