• Tweets

• Thanks I just had a quick look.  Will study over the w/e My friend does have kids. But it's a really dysfunctional family.  They don't talk.   Many years ago he sold 2 property assets and gave them a lot of money (enough to buy homes w/o loans) .  They've done nothing for him in the last 2 decades. And he altered his will so his new partner gets everything; the kids nothing (more). The 1st form I glanced at - to be deputy - asks for family details.   If I give his kids details I suspect the authorities may say they should get the deputy job instead?  Then  they will steal the money and give nothing to his partner. I can get a copy of the medical assessment  - and get it translated.  If need be.   This has all happened very quickly.  He got sick. And that must have kick-started dementia.   He was fine to hold a detailed conversation 6months ago; now he cant
    • Hi I think the only way around this as he lacks capacity is someone is going to have to apply to be a deputies via the Courts as he has assets here in the UK and a UK Bank Account which will take time and there will possible be Court Fees to make the application. Also if the Lack of Capacity (Dementia) was diagnosed abroad the person applying for deputies will need that diagnosis and it will need to be translated legally for the UK Courts so possibly cost for this as well. Also for reference although you were assisting them before the lack of capacity and had authority to act on there behalf that no longer stands due to there diagnosis of Dementia therefore Lack of Capacity so you no longer have any authority legally to act on there behalf unless the below is actioned or someone has Power of Attorney for that individual (which was setup before the Lack of Capacity) Have a wee look at these links: https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/private-client/mental-capacity-international-aspects#:~:text=You might need to make,act within the foreign jurisdiction https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian I have got to ask with the Dementia diagnoses are you 100% sure the diagnosis states they Lack Capacity as not everyone that gets a Dementia diagnoses may lack capacity initially. Now the Office of the Public Guardian link above you could also consider giving them a call just to give them a brief on this situation and get there advice on what documents etc are needed for deputies to be appointed as the person with Lack of Capacity is abroad.
    • Ultimately, when systems wobble, there is little that can be done - except wait for a fix.View the full article
    • The ready-made drinks are at the heart of a labour dispute that saw thousands of Ontario liquor board workers walk off the job.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Optima Legal - a demand or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If they had written letter on behalf of their clients stating 'NOTICE OF LEGAL ACTION' and then stated on top of letter BALANCE OUTSTANDING:££££ and I had not been defaulted does this mean they were actually demanding payment 'illegally' or not?

They go on to say 'you have failed to pay the outstanding balance on your XX account'

Then they go on to say may this and may that...

What I want to know is does the above constitute a demand for payment or not. It's notquite as clear-cut as another creditor who said 'pay us now'.. again before account defaulted.

Is stating 'balance outstanding' and 'you have failed to pay the outstanding balance' actually tantamount to demanding or asking for payment??

I assume they cannot do this if a Default was not made on the account?

hiya

interesting as have had the same just today

so am bumping up for you and hope someone can help us both

i personally think its a bit of a try out letter but lets see

have you by the way requested a subject access request from mbna yet?

i may do that today, but as my account was originally a marbles account been bought/taken over by mbna, im awaiting on hfc to send me back my sars info,,,,hmee and so soooooooooooooon after my sars request i get these muppets sending this letter,,,,

anyway if i get any news will let you know good luck

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

The cannot take you to court without a Default Notice having been issued which is why they are saying "may" and "might." I would drop them a note informing of this and see what they come up with. The last time I did that I never heard from the solicitors again - or anything more about the debt.

many thanks Pinky for your quick responce - i can now relax a bit,,,hunting out all optima threads,,lol

no default notice as yet and mbna have not responded to my cca request from january,,,maybe a dispute letter to mbna - know i have let it slide,,,oops

do you have a letter you may have used in the past to help us both pls or a thread we can both go to to get the basics in our own letter that would be fab

have a fun day all laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

The cannot take you to court without a Default Notice having been issued which is why they are saying "may" and "might." I would drop them a note informing of this and see what they come up with. The last time I did that I never heard from the solicitors again - or anything more about the debt.

I have had the same letter today. MBNA continue to ignore CCA requests and In Dispute letters.

I will be writing to them today, pointing out the error of their clients ways and the offences that their client is commiting. Perhaps their advise to their client would be best along the lines of, act within the law of the land and save our fees, or is that too much like Turkeys and Christmas.

These seem to be just the next notch along the electronic pulp trail.

Vint

many thanks Pinky for your quick responce - i can now relax a bit,,,hunting out all optima threads,,lol

no default notice as yet and mbna have not responded to my cca request from january,,,maybe a dispute letter to mbna - know i have let it slide,,,oops

do you have a letter you may have used in the past to help us both pls or a thread we can both go to to get the basics in our own letter that would be fab

have a fun day all laters angel x

Angel,

You need to send the account in dispute letter.

Vint

thanks vint,,,just found i had already sent a dispute letter and they have not responded to my complaint within the same letter over 6 weeks ago!

what should we now do ?

Sorry will...... for hijacking but i think may be useful info for you too..

cheers angel x

If they had written letter on behalf of their clients stating 'NOTICE OF LEGAL ACTION' and then stated on top of letter BALANCE OUTSTANDING:££££ and I had not been defaulted does this mean they were actually demanding payment 'illegally' or not?

They go on to say 'you have failed to pay the outstanding balance on your XX account'

Then they go on to say may this and may that...

What I want to know is does the above constitute a demand for payment or not. It's notquite as clear-cut as another creditor who said 'pay us now'.. again before account defaulted.

Is stating 'balance outstanding' and 'you have failed to pay the outstanding balance' actually tantamount to demanding or asking for payment??

I assume they cannot do this if a Default was not made on the account?

Will,

There is a set proceedure that they have to adhere to. This is just the treat machine at work and is realy wrong of them. I will try and put a letter together today and send it to you and Angel in a PM. They are breaking a lot of rules with these threats, but I need to track down the relevent information on the site, unless Pinky can point the way. There are rules against threats of charging orders and worse.

Part of the letter basically states that they will freeze interest and reduce the debt, but this is your final oportunity. Sounds like they have no agreements!

Vint

hiya Vint

huge thanks will look out for your pm for the letter, yes i agree they are losing the plot and my initial gut reaction when i read the letter was they are hoping to get a ccj by default, ie we dont defend and then get charging order.

i am awaiting on my sars anyway but your letter would be good for the time being,,, kind of puts them on a hop and then see what they throw back at us,,,

will check in later again huge thanks and pinky has helped me in the past too

laters angel x:D

Will/Angel,

As usual, Citizen B points the way.

Letter below.

Letter to solicitors threatening legal action / in default of agreement request .

A letter when solicitors are threatening with legal action whilst a company are in default of your request for your agreement.

Dear Sirs

I refer to your letter of XXXXX 2008, the content of which is noted. No debt to your client is acknowledged.

On (date) I made a formal request to your client pursuant to s.78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. They have failed to comply within the statutory time limit, or at all. It should not be necessary to have to remind solicitors that the provisions of s.78(6) now apply.

In the circumstances, your/your clients threat of legal action would appear to be a breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection. Should you or your client bring proceedings, they will be robustly defended, and the Court's attention drawn to the above statutory breaches . Furthermore, I reserve the right to bring the conduct of your client to the Court when the issue of costs is being considered.

Yours faithfully

Print name do NOT sign.

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/150365-optima-legal.html

These 2 links worth a read.

Vint

Again huge thanks

im also be sending copy of the letter to my MP as the debate of over 6 months ago ref charging orders for unsecured debts is rearing its ugly head again, i got a reply from jack straw dept the other month, will be posting up a thread later

purely threats and will be complaining to oft too

all in all good stuff and fully reassured by all your efforts thanks

laters angel x

keep positive will,,,,, its all about self learning and getting your facts right and learning about the law;)

Again huge thanks

im also be sending copy of the letter to my MP as the debate of over 6 months ago ref charging orders for unsecured debts is rearing its ugly head again, i got a reply from jack straw dept the other month, will be posting up a thread later

purely threats and will be complaining to oft too

all in all good stuff and fully reassured by all your efforts thanks

laters angel x

keep positive will,,,,, its all about self learning and getting your facts right and learning about the law;)

Well put Angel and don't forget the fun!!!!!!!!!:D

Hi Guys

Ive also had the same letter today.

I have scanned it onto my thread. "Toxic Vs MBNA"

I have already replied via special delivery with a 'account is in dispute' letter and told them I am forwarding their letter to my MP as they are threatening a charging order which is now frowned upon by judges after a commons debate on the matter -28th October 2008 - of 'trivial debt' (unsecured loans) left on record that this was unfair, if not unlawful.

Toxic

I complained to my MP who thought he was being helpful when he suggested I complain to FOS. Same reply when he got a reply from the Ministry person.. ie complain to FOS.

no use really although I did get better response when my MP was writing to MBNA. Just did not want to give him too much hassle at the time but I think issues are about to boil over very soon .. another letter I think is due soon to update him

Thanks for all advice as above. Keep up the good bumps!! :)