Ripped offf by the 3 Mobile Phone Network

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a mobile phone which is just over a year old donated to me by my daughter when she renewed her phone. I bought a 3 network pay as you go sim card to use in this and it was fine until just recently they blocked my sim (which has £16 of credit on it). I called them and they said that as the sim was being used in a 2G model of phone then it was deactivated. They done this with no notice, warning or even a by your leave and I was blissfully unaware for 2 days that mu phone was not working.

I advised them in strong terms that I was not happy and wanted my credit refunded and they said the only way to use the credit was to purchase a 3G model phone on the 3 network.

I wrote a letter of complaint and they contacted me by telephone (having left a message on the blocked sim I may add!!) only to repeat the preposterous as their reply.

I have now penned a letter to the MD at Maidstone to see if I can get my credit refunded as I most certianly will not purchase anything from the 3 Network.

Any similar problems out there??

Hello and Welcome, Alan.

I'll move this thread to the Telecoms Forum.

EDIT: Thread moved.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Sorry Alan - this remains your fault, even though you were unaware of the ramifications. 3UK is a 3G only network. Why you chose their SIM (from all the other networks that DO offer a 2G service) must be tough luck, but as you were not using a 3UK handset, the phone you were using could only access 2G networks, and 3UK only allowed this when their own 3G network was unavailable.

Since your phone could never, ever access a 3G network, then they were perfectly at liberty to remove service as you were not using your account in the way it was intended. The solution is to use a different PAYG SIM, or upgrade your handset to one that is 3G capable.

As the mistake was yours - your credit would be available again when you access their service through the correct phone type, but they are under no oblication to return the money to you as nearly all the networks don;t to this as a money laundering prevention measure.

Many thanks Buzby your reply helps in some respects as it explains the rationale being used by 3UK. The only problem is that my Sony Ericson phone is a 3UK model which was on a contract held by my daughter before she gave me it, hence the reason I got a 3 sim card to continue (I was previously on Orange and wish I'd never changed). I registered in my name with 3 and was topping up with credit for about 6 months before they deactivated the sim. I am working on the premise that they cannot all of a sudden decide to change their mind about the usage without at least telling me having happily taken my money for 6 months.

Wait! If the phone was indeed a 3G capable model (not usually the issue for customers disenfranchised in this way), the issue can be even simpler - that in the settings menu (under Networks) the phone is locked to 2G, rather than using any available network.

Your tactic would be to go to a Hutchison 3 store and ask them to explain why your handset has been locked as not 3G when it clearly is. If there is a configuration issue, and you cannot find it, they very well may be able to resolve it - and possibly reactivate your SIM.