• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Paypal seller problem - Sold item on ebay chargeback

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am a private seller. I have not sold much, only the odd thingor two. I need some advice on the following issue have recently had with paypal. Here is the sequence of events.

1. I sold an expensive item through ebay (£500.00). I was paid via paypal. I transferred the money to my bank account and sent item around 4 days after being paid. In the meantime the seller raised a claim for not receiving item.

2. He received the item. A couple of days later he changed his claim to item not as described. Paypal said it was damaged and a fake. I did not mis-describe the item. It was not damaged when i sent it or was it a fake.

3. The case was found in the buyers favour. He sent item back. I did not receive item but according to royal mail the item was returned to the buyer. Paypal closed the case and put a negative balance on my account.

4. Paypal have requested i pay the negative balance on my account. I have refused as i do not have the item. I have asked numerous times to return item, however I have not had it back.

5. I have emailed the seller but he will not communicate with me (no reply to any of my emails).

I beleive he may have been attempting a [problem] by raising his claim. I have tried to communicate with paypal however it seems that they are not intrested in listening or resolving my complaint.

As far as the law goes, where do i stand?

many thanks

purple-man

in the three instance i have had issues with paypal ,they have been ok.

have you tried the dedicated uk phone no. on the website

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How do i make a claim against the buyer for that amount? Is there a way to do that with paypal? I do not have the buyer detail, the name given was the owner of the account which was a female, however all of the emails came from a male.

I have explained to paypal that this was one of the reasons that I suspected that there was a problem with the buyer.

Where do i stand as far as the law goes?

many thanks

purple-man

Info on making claims can be found in the packs advertised on the left hand side of the page, and in the sticky posts.

Your claim would be that they owe you either the money returned to them, or the item not returned.

You should be able to obtain the buyers details from ebay / paypal. Whoever the details are for, it is them that you would make the claim against, as they are the person with whom you made the transaction.

did you pay by credit card?

if so, use chargeback

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just to clarify. Although a certain amount of money that was present in my paypal account was taken by paypal and paid to the buyer, i still have £450.00 of the money. Should I pay it into my paypal account and them attempt to get the item back or should i take it to the courts?

Does anybody have a similar experience to base mine on?

much appreciated,

purple-man

Hardly relevant to this issue.

cheers buz

wrong thread

dx

and they

How did you send the item to your buyer?

For items of that value Paypal require an online visible signature from the buyer to prove delivery.

If you do not have this to show Paypal then they will always side with a buyers claim of non receipt.

Everytime that you receive a payment from a buyer,Paypal/ebay always include these lines ...

Reversals:

Please be aware that your payment can still be reversed, (e.g. if it is subject to a chargeback), even after you have posted the item to your buyer. Complying with PayPal's protection programs and following the trading guidelines, in our Security Centre helps to protect you from things like chargebacks

Just to clarify. Although a certain amount of money that was present in my paypal account was taken by paypal and paid to the buyer, i still have £450.00 of the money. Should I pay it into my paypal account and them attempt to get the item back or should i take it to the courts?

Does anybody have a similar experience to base mine on?

much appreciated,

purple-man

DO NOT PAY THE MONEY BACK INTO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, if so you will never see it again.

I've been in a similar situation, sold a laptop, buyer collected, later turned out account had been hacked, Id withdrawn money, Paypal refund original true buyer, my account was minus £200.

To be honest, paypal were no help at all, they rarely seem to know wahts going on.

I received a couple of emails from Paypal asking me to bring my balance to zero, I couldnt even if I wanted to as I had closed my account, the email then gave me an address in theUS to send a 'check' to.

I'm now being chased my a DCA but I wrote to them asking to explain this amount and they replied..Log onto your Paypal account !..Pathetic.

The best advise is prob to just ignore it all, Paypal will try and claim the money back through a DCA but its unlikely their confusing T & C's would stand up in court and in cases like yours they have yet to actually pursue anyone in court, the fact that they are based in Luxombourg no doubt makes it harder for them

DO NOT PAY THE MONEY BACK INTO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, if so you will never see it again.

I've been in a similar situation, sold a laptop, buyer collected, later turned out account had been hacked, Id withdrawn money, Paypal refund original true buyer, my account was minus £200.

To be honest, paypal were no help at all, they rarely seem to know wahts going on.

I received a couple of emails from Paypal asking me to bring my balance to zero, I couldnt even if I wanted to as I had closed my account, the email then gave me an address in theUS to send a 'check' to.

I'm now being chased my a DCA but I wrote to them asking to explain this amount and they replied..Log onto your Paypal account !..Pathetic.

The best advise is prob to just ignore it all, Paypal will try and claim the money back through a DCA but its unlikely their confusing T & C's would stand up in court and in cases like yours they have yet to actually pursue anyone in court, the fact that they are based in Luxombourg no doubt makes it harder for them

Ignoring the situation will not get the situation resolved as ebay/paypal use a particularly aggresive and relentless DCA.

Reading advice on ebay's discussion boards--or post your problem there-- will get answers and suggestions from people who have been in a similar posisition

Paypal require you to show proof of posting by using recorded or special delivery only. Many sellers think they can say 'I'm not responsible for items lost in the post I always obtain cert of posting.' Unfortunately with Paypal this is not acceptable and they will always side with the buyer if correct proof not shown. Many dis-honset ebayers have now cottoned on to this.

Therefore, I would have thought it reasonable to argue with paypal (and you must be persistant) that the buyer show proper proof of posting back to you. At £500 value they should have sent it back special delivery and if you haven't received it then a claim can be made against the PO. If the buyer won't respond with the tracking number then paypal should be giving them the money back til they do.

There are so many [problematic] these days on ebay that it's becoming difficult to keep protected as a seller, it's really not worth selling on there anymore! Other things to remember:

1. Only send to a verified address on paypal.

2. Only send recorded or special delivery.

3. Never post mobile phones abroad, they're not insured by the PO.

4. Don't bother sending anything abroad, even 'signed for', as it's not tracked once it leaves the UK. So proof of delivery isn't there!

Hope this helps someone!:)

#15 tommyzoom

Never post mobile phones abroad, they're not insured by the PO.

Why would the PO be responsible for insuring anything--your contract is with whichever carrier you choose to use.

Don't bother sending anything abroad, even 'signed for', as it's not tracked once it leaves the UK. So proof of delivery isn't there!

Guess I must have been extremely lucky with all the tracked parcels I've sent abroad then--and even luckier in that I could obtain proof of delivery as and when I wanted to as long as I had used the appropriate carrier and service!

Ignoring the situation will not get the situation resolved as ebay/paypal use a particularly aggresive and relentless DCA.

Reading advice on ebay's discussion boards--or post your problem there-- will get answers and suggestions from people who have been in a similar posisition

As any regulars on here will agree 'relentless and agressive DCA's' means very little...they have no legal powers and if relentless means harrasing people without providing evidence of the debt owed then this would quickly become unlawful....Just look at how many complaints there are against Intrum Justitia.

Unfortunatly getting issues like this resolved is a nightmare, believe me, I tried but eventually just gave up ! Paypal operate in their own strange world of bizarre T & C's, they barely operate within the framework of UK Law, even understanding exactlty what juristiction they come under gives you a headache.

If Paypal or their threatening DCA's would actually provide me the evidence I have requested or to actually issue court proceedings then it would be a different matter. I pointed this out to them and they have now shut up.

Ok..Just recieved this from Paypal

Thank you for contacting PayPal in relation to your buyer dispute, case id:

PP-684-xxx-xx

Mr. andy is this case to appeal there is only one option and that is to

say that you have received your item.

As the case has been appealed, you received an email requesting the item be

returned.

Regretfully as your seller has provided valid proof that he sent the item

to you, the case has been closed in favour of your seller.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,

Lucy

UK Department

PayPal, an eBay Company

It doesn't make any sense, I bought an item and didnt receive it, the seller gave me the mail tracking number, this shows the item wasn't delivered !

Now Paypal waffle on about how I must return the item !..WTF !..I never received it !..,

In any dispute with them this is the sort of crap you have to deal with !

Andy

Edited by andydd

Paypal require you to show proof of posting by using recorded or special delivery only.

In addition to the other correction, I'm afraid PayPal require you to show proof of a signed DELIVERY. They don't care whether you posted it or not. If you cannot provide them with a link to view a signature of delivery, any claim against you will be upheld.

There are a number of similar threads along these lines where the alleged debt is passed to a DCA. Nonetheless, PayPal seem reluctant to pursue such matters through the court.

If you are happy to let your eBay and PayPal account be suspended then I would just be inclined to ignore the "debt."

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

In addition to the other correction, I'm afraid PayPal require you to show proof of a signed DELIVERY. They don't care whether you posted it or not. If you cannot provide them with a link to view a signature of delivery, any claim against you will be upheld.

The buyer appears to have acknowledged receipt by changing his claim to the item being damaged/fake.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

There are a number of similar threads along these lines where the alleged debt is passed to a DCA. Nonetheless, PayPal seem reluctant to pursue such matters through the court.

If you are happy to let your eBay and PayPal account be suspended then I would just be inclined to ignore the "debt."

You can open another account...Techinically if you read the T & C's you can only have 1 premier and 1 normal account at anyone time but there is no check on this it seems.

You can open another account...Techinically if you read the T & C's you can only have 1 premier and 1 normal account at anyone time but there is no check on this it seems.

You normally need separate bank accounts for each one.

But...would you trust them not to reclaim the £500 allegedly owing??!!!!

You would need a new identity and address...possibly even a new IP address as these are also logged.

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Do you know where in Paypal's T & C's this bit is ?

I ask because recently i bought an item, it never arrived, seller provided proof of postage but that proof shows nothing other than something was posted to someone...so really pretty useless..in the dispute Paypal just asked (him) for proof of postage, they didnt seem to care about proof of delivery, I can see in front of me from Royal Tracking that the item was not delivered...nothing has ever been delivered to my house, not the item NOR a while you were out card, I have to assume it has been returned to the sender but he denies it was.

I'm about to launch an online court claim for the money, only £30, but I've just been made redundant so dont see why i should lose out.

I have no faith in Paypal disputes process as Ive lost out both as a seller and buyer.

Andy

Edited by andydd

To be protected under the Seller Protection Scheme, the seller must be able to confirm delivery...that's all I can see at the moment

11.7 What are the postage requirements?

Also, as regards your receipt, whenever I have obtained proof of postage, the Post Master always writes the house number and postcode as a minimum.

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

To be protected under the Seller Protection Scheme, the seller must be able to confirm delivery...that's all I can see at the moment

Also, as regards your receipt, whenever I have obtained proof of postage, the Post Master always writes the house number and postcode as a minimum.

I'm the buyer in this case, is the Seller Protection Scheme to protect sellers ?. I'm a bit confused as clearly in my case there is NO proof of delivery, Paypal seem to be ignoring this.

The second point isnt relevant as I'm the buyer like I said, I've been trying to get the receipt from the seller but with no success at least then I could claim from Royal Mail, my local post office has told me that the seller put wrong address on, I fear this is the case, but i am unable to get proof of this, Royal Mail have been no help at all.

Andy