• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MBNA have issued proceedings against me -please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an MBNA credit card debt which I have done a section 77/78 request on and I have been told that the agreement is in breach of the 1974 Consumer Credit Act in that it does not contain all the prescribed terms.

MBNA have issued proceedings against me in the Chester County Court and I have had a form from the court advising me of various dates by which certain actions need to be completed.

The first of these is ‘Each party to give standard disclosure by list by 28th May 2009

And the second is ‘Any request for inspection or copies is to be made by 11th June 2009

Any help would be appreciated

I have an MBNA credit card debt which I have done a section 77/78 request on and I have been told that the agreement is in breach of the 1974 Consumer Credit Act in that it does not contain all the prescribed terms.

MBNA have issued proceedings against me in the Chester County Court and I have had a form from the court advising me of various dates by which certain actions need to be completed.

The first of these is ‘Each party to give standard disclosure by list by 28th May 2009

And the second is ‘Any request for inspection or copies is to be made by 11th June 2009

Any help would be appreciated

As a starting point can you post a copy of the summons and your defence - if you take out anything that can identify you

- can you also tell us what the other directions are

Can you also post the CCA that they have disclosed - when was the alleged agreement taken out?

If you have a look at the online disclosure form and then come back to us with any queries

I have a suspicion that you may need to amend the defence

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

As a starting point can you post a copy of the summons and your defence - if you take out anything that can identify you

- can you also tell us what the other directions are

Can you also post the CCA that they have disclosed - when was the alleged agreement taken out?

If you have a look at the online disclosure form and then come back to us with any queries

I have a suspicion that you may need to amend the defence

Thanks for the reply,I will be able to scan the documnets you have mentioned but can you tell me how to post them here please.

Can you also please direct me as to where to find the online disclosure form.

The other way to do it is to click on "Go Advanced" on the quick reply box and then if you look really carefully, cos its' tiny, you can see a paper clip if you click on that you can upload from your computer.

The Disclosure form is on the court service website

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

The other way to do it is to click on "Go Advanced" on the quick reply box and then if you look really carefully, cos its' tiny, you can see a paper clip if you click on that you can upload from your computer.

The Disclosure form is on the court service website

This is my first go at using photo bucket so here goes,

MBNACourtDocs.jpg

MBNACourtDocs001.jpg

MBNACourtDocs002.jpg

MBNACourtDocs003.jpg

MBNACourtDocs004.jpg

MBNACourtDocs005.jpg

Hi Trickie Dickie,

This looks to me like a test case.

Why are they going to waste time & money taking you to court with an unenforcable agreement ?

Just turn up and ask the judge for them to show the signed agreement. Dont let the judge go with a moral decision.

Hi Trickie Dickie,

This looks to me like a test case.

Not with those directions it isn't - those are trial directions - they've even given it a trial window and given directions for a listing questionnaire

I don't understand why its' not been transferred to your local county court.

Can you post a copy of your defence - it needs to plead the point about the "agreement" not containing the prescribed terms

Did you receive the D/N - if so can you post that

Does the claim contain account charges - or don't we know

Not with those directions it isn't - those are trial directions - they've even given it a trial window and given directions for a listing questionnaire

I don't understand why its' not been transferred to your local county court.

Can you post a copy of your defence - it needs to plead the point about the "agreement" not containing the prescribed terms

Did you receive the D/N - if so can you post that

Does the claim contain account charges - or don't we know

The only document I have submitted to the court so far is the allocation questionaire which does does plead the point about the 'agreement' not containing the prescribed terms.

Don't know if the claim contains account charges-not sure what is meant by that.

I have the Default Notice and will post as soon as I can get my scanner to work again.

Yesterday I had a letter from the court advising me I need to attend court for a Case Management Conference at the court on Tuesday 19th May which was very surprising as the previous dates which I was given for a court hearing were August then September.

As I have posted in another thread I phoned the court on Thursday to say I had heard that some cases were being stayed and whether mine was one of them.

I was told that mine was not to be stayed but the clerk asked if I wanted him to ask the judge to consider my case to be included in those and I said I did so he agreed to do that.

The letter regarding the CMC on Tuesday was posted the same day so I wonder if thats what he CMC is about.

Should I call the court to ask what the CMC is about as I do not have time for any preparation ?

Can anyone comment on the agreement as to if it does seem to be improperly executed?

You must have filed a defence - when you got the claim you filed an AoS and then a defence

The agreement is improperly executed - you need to amend your defence

I don't understand what the point of having a cmc is - all you can do is go along and find out...

You must have filed a defence - when you got the claim you filed an AoS and then a defence

I don't understand what the point of having a cmc is - all you can do is go along and find out...

What is an AoS

Edited by When in Rome 09
mistake in posting

What is an aos

Its' an acknowledgment of service

You get the summons - you have 14 days from service to either a defence or an AoS - if you file an AoS you then have a further 14 days to file the defence

If you file an AoS but then don't file a defence the other side can enter a judgment in default

I filed the AQ which states that I intend to argue that the agreement is unenforceable but have not submitted any other document which I would recognise as a defence,I thought that this would be included in the documents which are requested by the court in the Order from the court dated 6th May.

However you mention I should amend my defence,could you possibly help with this based upon the info I have submitted and if you need anything else please advise what it is.

I was thinking of calling the court tomorrow to ask the purpose of the CMC do you think this would be a good idea?

It won't do any harm to phone the court - they may not be able to tell you what the hearing is for but you might be lucky and they may be able to tell you.

I'm happy to help out with a defence - the only problem I have is that I won't have time until next weekend. I've got a couple of assignments for my uni course that I've got to do this week

A CMC is a hearing that takes place in a private room with you, the other side and a District Judge - usually they are designed to give directions for trial - things such as disclosure, exchange of witness statements etc.

That's why I don't understand why you're having a CMC - cos you've got the directions already

Account charges are fees such as overlimit fees, late payment fees, charges for letters etc

The disclosure - you list what you have and what you had

A CMC is a hearing that takes place in a private room with you, the other side and a District Judge - usually they are designed to give directions for trial - things such as disclosure, exchange of witness statements etc.

That's why I don't understand why you're having a CMC - cos you've got the directions already

I have just spoken to the court and apparently the case management conference I have been asked to attend will be dealing with a total of 44 cases.

Should be interesting,anyone want to come along as my legal advisor to earwig and possibly give me advice?

It sounds like they're gonna discuss these test cases - its' not normal to have that many cases in a CMC at one time...

Presumably they're gonna all involve MBNA

Interesting

It sounds like they're gonna discuss these test cases - its' not normal to have that many cases in a CMC at one time...

Presumably they're gonna all involve MBNA

Interesting

From what I can gather it would seem that the purpose of the conference is to advise everyone involved in this matter about how the court has decided to proceed rather than discuss individual cases or listen to individual arguments.

My girlfriend is panicking about this now and insisting I am represented but I think that will be a waste of money I have not got .

Firstly whoever I could find at this short notice would know nothing about the case and it does not even sound like there will be any need for any input on my part,what do you think?

I don't see what having a legal representative at this stage would bring to the party...

I agree with you that it is too late for anybody to familiarise themselves with the case...

Here are my default notice and the defence I filed which was prepared by someone who for reasons beyond my control is no longer willing to assist me however I have obliterated the name for confidentiality.

There are charges in the sum claimed,ie interest late payment charges etc,does that make a difference?

MBNADefencePersonalDetailsedited.jpg

MBNADefaultNoticevers2.jpg

MBNADefencePersonalDetailsedited001.jpg

MBNADefencePersonalDetailsedited002.jpg

MBNADefencePersonalDetailsedited003.jpg

As far as default charges go - they are arguably imposed under unfair contract terms and/or penalty clauses at common law and as such don't bind you - if they are included on a DN then arguably the DN is invalid - I say arguably because Rankine says they do't however I Rankine is wrong and I have an argument to deal with that.

The Defence does need amending