• Tweets

• and more positive change From next year, mobile phone, paid television and broadband companies must inform customers of any price rises at the point of sale. The changes, ordered by Ofcom, will come into force on 17 January and mean that any mid-contract price rises must be given “in pounds and pence” and in a “clear and comprehensible” way.   Taken a change of government to do it after years of bluster about it eh?   Mobile phone companies banned from hiking prices mid-contract based on inflation WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The new year plan ensures providers are transparent on prices at the point of sale  
    • Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? It depends which country, I imagine. Most UK banks want proof of address and ID, probably more. If your friend/partner can use the house address and provide bills that could help. You would need to look at various online banks and see what their requirements are. Or there are expat accounts but I haven't looked closely at how they work. Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage) I'd have thought the DWP would pay to a new account, as long as the person they're authorised to deal with asks them and provides details. The international pensions people in Newcastle are pretty helpful.
    • HB - he has certainly given me a challenge ! I set a plan in motion. A refinance plan that would have enabled me to take time to sell one asset and sort out another for him.   The bank account blockage has hindered the plan.  His partner seems to think I can do everything w/o paying anyone for anything.  I don't mind helping - but it's not normal to clear out 2 properties, organize storage or sale of possessions, get properties ready for sale/ rent - w/o being paid.  He has the money to pay for things and services - and for my help - but the blockage prevents that. If the refinance plan could still be actioned then at least I would have some time to sell one asset.  Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage)
    • It's a shame that your friend didn't take care of this while he had capacity and before he left the country, isn't it? He seems to have made your mission impossible. HB
    • HB - this form and process is as I remember it from handling relatives cases.  It's a timing thing.  Which has passed in terms of my friend
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Is it an offence to open someone else's mail

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter was forced to move out of her home via a Court Order from her ex boyfriend. Long story but the jist is that the house is currently unoccuppied - he moved out well over two years ago, she had to move out 5 months ago. He changed the locks when she had gone.

She had all her post redirected to my home as we didn't know where she was going to end up. Some of her post has turned up here without the redirect stickers on as one of the posties knew her circumstances. However, it transpires that some of her post is obviously still being delivered there. How do I know.....

He ex boyfriends girlfriend has just offered 4 concert tickets for sale on my son's car club forum, stating the date, venue and time. There were two posts, one asking for "Offers" and the other going on to say that if they remained unsold they were going to go on eBay. What should the next course of action be.

I have to express a certain amount of caution as my daughter had to declare herself bankrupt - the house and piece of land they jointly owned are subject of a creditors meeting being held soon. We're not sure if the ex is attending, though my daughter owes him no money at all. His parents think she does because they secured their home against the monies borrowed for the house and land and said previously that if the two properties did not clear the debt they would persue my daughter. With the current climate she would have had a shortfall of around £60,000 on a joint mortgage with her ex. Her home was unmortgaged (as said, security held on a separate property) so whilst she didn't want to lose her home she now wants a fresh start.

As I said, it's a long, complex story, made worse by an ex who can't/won't let go, whose girlfriend has done nothing but cause problems, including reporting my daughter to the police for threats that never actually happened, they've used the car club forum to harrass her and work out when she's not at home in order to "pay a visit", keyed my daughter's new boyfriends car etc. No proof, nothing can be done.

I'm sorry it sound like gobbledegook but the last 2.5 years have not been easy.

An answer to the subject title would suffice! Gave some background soas to let you know that the post could not have been opened "accidently"

Edited by Ingrid
misspelling

Guest wino

Found this on another forum

Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)

6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

Wino's quote is absolutely correct.

However, the offence only exists whilst mail is 'in the course of transmission' - which is defined in the Act as ceasing once the postal packet has been delivered to the address (not the addressee).

So it would be an offence for anybody at the sorting office to open it, but once it is delivered, anybody can open it.

Thank wino and patdavies. Age old adage there - you give with one hand and take with the other!:rolleyes:

So, what about the tickets - could we presume they are stolen? The tickets arrived last week, the concert is on 26th of this in Birmingham, one of them being mine!!! My daughter paid by debit card for them back in October/November, unfortunately the fanclub must still have had her old address.

What redress, if any, does she have with Royalmail? She paid for a service that obviously hasn't been carried out fully.

Wino's quote is absolutely correct.

However, the offence only exists whilst mail is 'in the course of transmission' - which is defined in the Act as ceasing once the postal packet has been delivered to the address (not the addressee).

So it would be an offence for anybody at the sorting office to open it, but once it is delivered, anybody can open it.

Hi

Is there a stated case that says once the packet is delivered (ie through the letter box and on the floor) it is no longer in transmission?

Couldn't the fact that the letter is inside an envelope be considered to be part of the transmission?

the offence only exists whilst mail is 'in the course of transmission' - which is defined in the Act as ceasing once the postal packet has been delivered to the address (not the addressee).

That only relates to the first part of the snippet which has been posted. The second part relates to an item which has been delivered:

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

What redress, if any, does she have with Royalmail? She paid for a service that obviously hasn't been carried out fully.

The short answer is that she has very little redress. There are provisions in the Act which protect Royal Mail from liability for failings such as this.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The short answer is that she has very little redress. There are provisions in the Act which protect Royal Mail from liability for failings such as this.

Okay. She's just phoned and said that Ticketmaster won't do anything. The tickets were sent Special Delivery. Now, there's no-one living at the property, neither neighbour would have signed for it and posted it into an empty house so....

we can only assume the postie didn't get a valid signature or..

he left a Special Delivery card and someone else, ie. the girlfriend, fraudulently collected or signed for on my daughter's behalf

Think RoyalMail are getting a stinking phone call and letter and probably time to contact the police.

Thanks for all your help.

Still can't get my head round the fact that, once delivered, someone can take the contents of a letter that does not have their name on and keep the contents when there is proof that she has the tickets. She's posted on the forum the date, time, venue and designated area of the tickets.

Hi

Is there a stated case that says once the packet is delivered (ie through the letter box and on the floor) it is no longer in transmission?

Couldn't the fact that the letter is inside an envelope be considered to be part of the transmission?

No. There is no stated case; it is made clear in the Act.

Postal Services Act 200 s.125(3)

(3) For the purposes of this Act—

(a) a postal packet shall be taken to be in course of transmission by post from the time of its being delivered to any post office or post office letter box to the time of its being delivered to the addressee,

(b) the delivery of a postal packet of any description to a letter carrier or other person authorised to receive postal packets of that description for the post or to a person engaged in the business of a postal operator to be dealt with in the course of that business shall be a delivery to a post office, and

© the delivery of a postal packet—

(i) at the premises to which it is addressed or redirected, unless they are a post office from which it is to be collected,

(ii) to any box or receptacle to which the occupier of those premises has agreed that postal packets addressed to persons at those premises may be delivered, or

(iii) to the addressee’s agent or to any other person considered to be authorised to receive the packet,

shall be a delivery to the addressee.

Then Mens Rea comes into play. Mere interference is insufficient, intent must be proven.

we can only assume the postie didn't get a valid signature

If you get the tracking number from Ticketmaster, you will be able to view the signature on the Royal Mail website.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

if special delivery it will have been signed for get the consigment number off ticket master and use royal mail online to get the siggy

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

one step faster than me barracad, ill blame the ice cream

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

once you have established that the signature isnt true, call ticketmaster and get them to cancel the tickets and re issue/refund, Alternatively, if the debit card is a visa one, I think that you can get your money back through them, I would also report it to the police.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I have printed off the two posts she (being the ex's girlfriend, who may have access via my daughter's ex, iykwim) posted, asking for offers and then offering to put on ebay. This has her username on, which was confirmed as the girl in question last December by her local police when my daughter received a phone call citing that this other girl had made a complaint that my daughter had been making threats to her - this is absolutely and categorically incorrect and my daughter told the PC on the phone. Her exact words were "she means nothing to me so why would I threaten her"

Anyway, my daughter contacted TicketMaster - they have yet to hand over the consignment no. I know when I have been to collect I only have to produce proof of my own id, not the person I am collecting on behalf of!

The fact that RoyalMail have entered into a contract with my daughter to redirect her post is another issue, and one that she is taking up with them. She has told me that she emailed them, telling them how "p****d off" she is!

Ticketmaster will not cancel the tickets as they are only General Admission, what difference that makes I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the tickets cannot be cancelled! No sure if they would argue that they were delivered and signed for (but fraudulently!)

I think general admission means there are no allocated seats or a standing only gig.

Did she buy these tickets on a credit card? Surely if you buy tickets and they are sent by Speicial Delivery you can get your money back if they don't arrive. They might send out another set but unfortunately only to the original address - which would hopefully be properly redirected this time.